Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where do you rank the Reds pitching staff in the NL Central?

Re: Where do you rank the Reds pitching staff in the NL Central?

Do Homer and Latos take the next step? If they do I rank them

1. Reds
    2. Cards

If they are pretty much the 2013 version I go

1. Cards
    2. Reds

I don't see the Pirates recreating 2013 so I would rank them 3rd.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Motte's weird. For years he struggled against LHBs and tooled on RHBs. Then in 2012 he completely flip-flopped it. The net effect is he's always got an Achilles Heel, we just don't know which one.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Let's list the pitchers who have come back from shoulder injuries.

I can't think of one significant guy myself

Your turn

Fyi: http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?story...79&src=desktop
    Chris Carpenter. Mediocre pitcher from his major league debut till his shoulder tear season (IIRC he was same age as Garcia is now), a labrum tear. Has a break out season the following year, Cy young the next.... Etc etc.

Curt Schilling had a slight tear like Garcia, and he bounced back for career years.

Interestingly enough, the surgery for that particular issue has improved a ton since those guy had their labrum surgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    Garcia's problems are from the neck up. Not much you can do to fix that.
    Indeed! He is another Lance Lynn.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Chris Carpenter. Mediocre pitcher from his major league debut till his shoulder tear season (IIRC he was same age as Garcia is now), a labrum tear. Has a break out season the following year, Cy young the next.... Etc etc.

Curt Schilling had a slight tear like Garcia, and he bounced back for career years.

Interestingly enough, the surgery for that particular issue has improved a ton since those guy had their labrum surgeries.
    There ya go, two guys known for their incredible work ethics, so there is a chance, Garcia also had a rotator cuff tear as well while the other two were just labrum, so there is that wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There ya go, two guys known for their incredible work ethics, so there is a chance, Garcia also had a rotator cuff tear as well while the other two were just labrum, so there is that wild card.
    Indeed...that's all I said, there is a chance he can bounce back.

Rotator cuff can be the death knell. A few pitchers have bounced back from rotator cuff issues, and when they do it can be on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    He's scheduled to be ready by Spring Training so I don't think your assertion is accurate.
    Ok maybe Garcia is healthy and effective in 2014, but a sane betting person would predict Leake would have a better year in 2014 , just based on health.
    That's my point.

The odds of Garcia being as good as he used to be are probably less than 20%, based on my wild guess. The Cards will be ok though, since they have so much depth.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I think he's just too good to be sent down to AAA. If I were to put money on it, I would say he breaks with the big team at camp.
    I'd put my money on Martinez starting for Memphis unless he is able to win a rotation spot. Martinez can and should be a starter, so I'm thinking they will keep in Memphis in case of an injury. I don't have much confidence in Garcia being healthy.

Turn Off Ads?