Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Reds beat writers

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    When I read those names, I could see their faces in my mind. I guess I read too many Reds yearbooks, over and over, when I was a kid.
    Me too except for reading sports sections. The Dayton Journal Herald in the morning and the Dayton Daily News after school.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Feel like we aren't blessed with any of them.

I loved McCoy when he wrote daily at the DDN. That was good coverage. Don't read him much now that he's at FOX.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Does the Dayton Dayton News still do the thing on the front page where they have either a happy or sad Reds face depending on the result of last night's game?

Follow up question: Is there still a Dayton Daily News?

Of the current guys it CTrent, and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was just thinking the other day that I probably missed out on some good Reds reporting being in a house that only subscribed to the Enquirer. Someone once told me it always had better sports reporting.

Afternoon papers didn't have to focus on the game reporting, that was the domain of the morning rags, afternoon papers had player features, in depth analysis and opinions, they had greater freedom and if you look at the guys that stopped by on their career paths into a afternoon paper they tend to be the guys that were the stringers for TSN and the guys who wrote books on the game. Morning guys were reporters first and foremost

Honestly, I pretty much can't read any of the Reds writers. I personally think they are terrible. It is rare I read an article by them that seems insightful, teaches me something new, or gives me an up-close and inside view that someone without media credentials couldn't get. Instead they focus on dead-horse topics as if they chose their daily story based on the most viewed topics on RedsZone (no offense).

And in general the tone of most the local articles I read just seem to be negative, which annoys me after a while, because it is a long season.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Honestly, I pretty much can't read any of the Reds writers. I personally think they are terrible. It is rare I read an article by them that seems insightful, teaches me something new, or gives me an up-close and inside view that someone without media credentials couldn't get. Instead they focus on dead-horse topics as if they chose their daily story based on the most viewed topics on RedsZone (no offense).

And in general the tone of most the local articles I read just seem to be negative, which annoys me after a while, because it is a long season.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Agreed, beat writers have a tough job, but should be inventive enough to generate buzz

I see no nectar in the current crop, is it their profession limitations? Or is it it their own?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think it's a tough gig. I've heard that many in the profession wouldn't wish it on their fellow scribes. Makes you appreciate the really good ones even more.

I probably enjoy Sheldon more than the other guys who currently cover the Reds. Seems like a fair, knowledgeable guy.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

In order of who I like best of the current crew:

1. C.Trent
    2. M. Sheldon
    3. H. McCoy
    4. J. Fay
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I think it's a tough gig. I've heard that many in the profession wouldn't wish it on their fellow scribes. Makes you appreciate the really good ones even more.

I probably enjoy Sheldon more than the other guys who currently cover the Reds. Seems like a fair, knowledgeable guy.
    My expectations could very well also be skewed. Growing up I read the Indystar, which I always thought had a solid sports section. However, with the main team being the Pacers, Colts, and the college teams, the writers have plenty of off days in between games to work on stories unrelated to the last game. Perhaps the 162 game schedule where you pretty much play 6/7 days a week makes a difference.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner

Agreed, beat writers have a tough job, but should be inventive enough to generate buzz

I see no nectar in the current crop, is it their profession limitations? Or is it it their own?
    I think it's the nature of the beast. I don't think many beat writers - for any sport - want to rock the boat. Also, newspapers are in decline and more people want their news delivered to them via social media rather than newspapers. I also think teams are better at keeping things under their hat than they used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it's the nature of the beast. I don't think many beat writers - for any sport - want to rock the boat.
    My late grandfather was friends with former REDS player Pat Duncan (played on the 1919 WS team). Gramps told me a story about a REDS catcher that Duncan shared with him. I cannot remember the name of the catcher (was an Irish name IIRC). A beat writer wrote a negative story about this catcher. That catcher was in a bar the night that the story came out in the paper and saw the writer in the same bar. He went up to the writer, told him he did not appreciate the story and laid him out on the barroom floor with a right hook. No punishments or police action for the punch. Just the way it was back in the day LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    My late grandfather was friends with former REDS player Pat Duncan (played on the 1919 WS team). Gramps told me a story about a REDS catcher that Duncan shared with him. I cannot remember the name of the catcher (was an Irish name IIRC). A beat writer wrote a negative story about this catcher. That catcher was in a bar the night that the story came out in the paper and saw the writer in the same bar. He went up to the writer, told him he did not appreciate the story and laid him out on the barroom floor with a right hook. No punishments or police action for the punch. Just the way it was back in the day LOL.
    Irish eh?

Guess that counts Astyanax Douglass out.

I wrote the Sabr Bio for Duncan

15. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (01-17-2014)

Thanks for sharing, woy. My grandfather was from Jackson County. Pat was 15 years older than him but took the younger LH pitcher (Gramps was pretty good in the day) under his wing since they were from the same neck of the woods. I wish I could remember all the stories I was told.

C Trent

gap

Fay

wider gap

Sheldon
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?