Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Rank the Reds beat writers

  1. #16
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,570

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    When I read those names, I could see their faces in my mind. I guess I read too many Reds yearbooks, over and over, when I was a kid.
    Me too except for reading sports sections. The Dayton Journal Herald in the morning and the Dayton Daily News after school.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,010

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Feel like we aren't blessed with any of them.

    I loved McCoy when he wrote daily at the DDN. That was good coverage. Don't read him much now that he's at FOX.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

  4. #18
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    677

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Does the Dayton Dayton News still do the thing on the front page where they have either a happy or sad Reds face depending on the result of last night's game?

    Follow up question: Is there still a Dayton Daily News?

  5. #19
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    14,406

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Of the current guys it CTrent, and it's not even close.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  6. Likes:

    Billy Hamilton's Legs (01-17-2014)

  7. #20
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,628

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was just thinking the other day that I probably missed out on some good Reds reporting being in a house that only subscribed to the Enquirer. Someone once told me it always had better sports reporting.

    Afternoon papers didn't have to focus on the game reporting, that was the domain of the morning rags, afternoon papers had player features, in depth analysis and opinions, they had greater freedom and if you look at the guys that stopped by on their career paths into a afternoon paper they tend to be the guys that were the stringers for TSN and the guys who wrote books on the game. Morning guys were reporters first and foremost

  8. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,063

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Honestly, I pretty much can't read any of the Reds writers. I personally think they are terrible. It is rare I read an article by them that seems insightful, teaches me something new, or gives me an up-close and inside view that someone without media credentials couldn't get. Instead they focus on dead-horse topics as if they chose their daily story based on the most viewed topics on RedsZone (no offense).

    And in general the tone of most the local articles I read just seem to be negative, which annoys me after a while, because it is a long season.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  9. #22
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,628

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Honestly, I pretty much can't read any of the Reds writers. I personally think they are terrible. It is rare I read an article by them that seems insightful, teaches me something new, or gives me an up-close and inside view that someone without media credentials couldn't get. Instead they focus on dead-horse topics as if they chose their daily story based on the most viewed topics on RedsZone (no offense).

    And in general the tone of most the local articles I read just seem to be negative, which annoys me after a while, because it is a long season.

    Winner winner chicken dinner

    Agreed, beat writers have a tough job, but should be inventive enough to generate buzz

    I see no nectar in the current crop, is it their profession limitations? Or is it it their own?

  10. #23
    8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    I think it's a tough gig. I've heard that many in the profession wouldn't wish it on their fellow scribes. Makes you appreciate the really good ones even more.

    I probably enjoy Sheldon more than the other guys who currently cover the Reds. Seems like a fair, knowledgeable guy.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  11. #24
    Red's fan mbgrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    In order of who I like best of the current crew:

    1. C.Trent
    2. M. Sheldon
    3. H. McCoy
    4. J. Fay
    __________________
    "I think he'd be unbelievable. He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people accountable... He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game... Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence." Bronson Arroyo

  12. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,063

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I think it's a tough gig. I've heard that many in the profession wouldn't wish it on their fellow scribes. Makes you appreciate the really good ones even more.

    I probably enjoy Sheldon more than the other guys who currently cover the Reds. Seems like a fair, knowledgeable guy.
    My expectations could very well also be skewed. Growing up I read the Indystar, which I always thought had a solid sports section. However, with the main team being the Pacers, Colts, and the college teams, the writers have plenty of off days in between games to work on stories unrelated to the last game. Perhaps the 162 game schedule where you pretty much play 6/7 days a week makes a difference.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  13. #26
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,175

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner

    Agreed, beat writers have a tough job, but should be inventive enough to generate buzz

    I see no nectar in the current crop, is it their profession limitations? Or is it it their own?
    I think it's the nature of the beast. I don't think many beat writers - for any sport - want to rock the boat. Also, newspapers are in decline and more people want their news delivered to them via social media rather than newspapers. I also think teams are better at keeping things under their hat than they used to be.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #27
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,570

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it's the nature of the beast. I don't think many beat writers - for any sport - want to rock the boat.
    My late grandfather was friends with former REDS player Pat Duncan (played on the 1919 WS team). Gramps told me a story about a REDS catcher that Duncan shared with him. I cannot remember the name of the catcher (was an Irish name IIRC). A beat writer wrote a negative story about this catcher. That catcher was in a bar the night that the story came out in the paper and saw the writer in the same bar. He went up to the writer, told him he did not appreciate the story and laid him out on the barroom floor with a right hook. No punishments or police action for the punch. Just the way it was back in the day LOL.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  15. #28
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,628

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    My late grandfather was friends with former REDS player Pat Duncan (played on the 1919 WS team). Gramps told me a story about a REDS catcher that Duncan shared with him. I cannot remember the name of the catcher (was an Irish name IIRC). A beat writer wrote a negative story about this catcher. That catcher was in a bar the night that the story came out in the paper and saw the writer in the same bar. He went up to the writer, told him he did not appreciate the story and laid him out on the barroom floor with a right hook. No punishments or police action for the punch. Just the way it was back in the day LOL.
    Irish eh?

    Guess that counts Astyanax Douglass out.

    I wrote the Sabr Bio for Duncan

  16. Likes:

    RedFanAlways1966 (01-17-2014)

  17. #29
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,570

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    Thanks for sharing, woy. My grandfather was from Jackson County. Pat was 15 years older than him but took the younger LH pitcher (Gramps was pretty good in the day) under his wing since they were from the same neck of the woods. I wish I could remember all the stories I was told.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  18. #30
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,047

    Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

    C Trent

    gap

    Fay

    wider gap

    Sheldon
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25