Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations are out

Re: Oscar nominations are out

American Hustle is exactly the kind of movie the Academy should be honoring. It has mass appeal but is still a rock solid movie in an old-fashioned sense: incredibly solid acting and storytelling, visually appealing, lots of intrigue, a great mix of drama and comedy, and overall just a solid portrait of a group of people in a specific time and place. It's the same formula as Silver Linings Playbook although I think SLP is a better movie. I think all the nominations are deserved except for Bradley Cooper, who has limited range. I would have replaced him with Jeremy Renner -- I am baffled as to how he hasn't gotten more attention for this.

i totally disagree with the assessment that the characters are not well-drawn in any way. They have multiple motives and facets to them and I would put David O. Russell's female characters in particular against any others in any movie.

I'd always be happy to see edgier films nominated (provided they're good, of course), but anyone who thinks that's what the Oscars are for is kidding himself. It's a commercial for movies that Hollywood wants people to see (good ones, of course) and thinks the public can handle. And really, I have no problem with that.

All that aside, I think the noms as a whole are kind of a snooze fest.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I saw another really funny tweet earlier:

"And the Academy Award for 'Best Impression of a great movie' goes to.......American Hustle!"

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    American Hustle is exactly the kind of movie the Academy should be honoring. It has mass appeal but is still a rock solid movie in an old-fashioned sense: incredibly solid acting and storytelling, visually appealing, lots of intrigue, a great mix of drama and comedy, and overall just a solid portrait of a group of people in a specific time and place. It's the same formula as Silver Linings Playbook although I think SLP is a better movie. I think all the nominations are deserved except for Bradley Cooper, who has limited range. I would have replaced him with Jeremy Renner -- I am baffled as to how he hasn't gotten more attention for this.

i totally disagree with the assessment that the characters are not well-drawn in any way. They have multiple motives and facets to them and I would put David O. Russell's female characters in particular against any others in any movie.

I'd always be happy to see edgier films nominated (provided they're good, of course), but anyone who thinks that's what the Oscars are for is kidding himself. It's a commercial for movies that Hollywood wants people to see (good ones, of course) and thinks the public can handle. And really, I have no problem with that.

All that aside, I think the noms as a whole are kind of a snooze fest.
    I strongly agree with you about your first point. For years I remember being disappointed that any movie that did well at the box office was seemingly disqualified from awards season. Even if I was disappointed in American Hustle, it was still a fun but respectable Hollywood product. There was plenty of thought put into the film-making and it had cultural value beyond two hours of popcorn face-stuffing at the theater. It had style.

I dunno if you were restricting Cooper's replacement to the same film or not. If I'm allowed to be unrealistic for a moment I personally would have gone with either Sam Rockwell from The Way Way Backor Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners for that spot.

But having said all of that...what is August: Osage County if not typical Oscar-baiting pretentiousness? It's not edgy OR box office material.

What are some of the "edgy but good" movies you would have nominated?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I thought American Hustle had Oscar-worthy performances from Christian Bale's comb-over and Amy Adams' chest.
    And Jennifer Lawrence's too. No snubbin' here.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-16-2014),dougdirt (01-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I dunno if you were restricting Cooper's replacement to the same film or not. If I'm allowed to be unrealistic for a moment I personally would have gone with either Sam Rockwell from The Way Way Backor Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners for that spot.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm sure there are a dozen other actors that could fit there. That's always a strong category

But having said all of that...what is August: Osage County if not typical Oscar-baiting pretentiousness? It's not edgy OR box office material.
    I actually haven't seen it but know (and love) it as a play. Given its roots as such, I'm not sure that it came about just to be Oscar bait, though its casting certainly seems to say so. Interestingly enough, I've had HUGE debates in this same vein with people about the play -- namely, with pretentious theater snobs who think that any play that appeals to a mass audience must be shallow and boring. It's a great story with great characters; I hope that comes out in the film, though it might say something that I haven't been bothered to see it yet.

What are some of the "edgy but good" movies you would have nominated?
    Oh gosh, I didn't see a lot of movies this year, but I'm talking about stuff that would really turn off much of a mass audience. Blue is the Warmest Color just missed eligibility this year, but I would be shocked if it garnered any nominations next year. It's supposed to be a beautiful film with jaw-dropping performances, but that's not what most people (especially Americans) talk about when it comes up. I don't think the Academy is ready to distance itself from mainstream viewers that way. Rush, too; it's not particularly edgy but it reads as more of a niche film than one with mainstream appeal and didn't get the Oscar buzz (or release date) that it deserved.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

One cranky member of the Academy's directors branch talks THR's Scott Feinberg through his picks: "'Gravity'? I've seen better things at planetariums," while Julia Roberts "was horrendous" and Meryl Streep gave "a bottom-drawer performance" in "August: Osage County."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rac...-honest-682957

Don't agree with all he said but I thought it was funny.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rac...-honest-682957

Don't agree with all he said but I thought it was funny.
    It kind of rubbed me the wrong way that he openly admits he will vote for friends if they are nominated.

I laughed at a few comments about certain people and movies. I was saddened by a few other comments that were made.

Here Are The Las Vegas Odds For The Oscars, Including The All-Important Pink-Midler Duet Question

Look, all you need to know about the Oscars to know that it’s a joke is that Inside Llewyn Davis didn’t even get nominated for music, while a song by Bono did. Did you know the original intent of the Academy was for studio heads to declaw the labor movement by pinning meaningless baubles and trinkets to their chests? It’s true. That said, everyone likes to gamble, and Las Vegas has betting odds on this year’s Oscars.

Best Picture
    12 Years a Slave 1/5
    Gravity 4/1
    American Hustle 12/1
    Dallas Buyers Club 20/1
    The Wolf of Wall Street 25/1
    Captain Phillips 150/1
    Her 150/1
    Nebraska 200/1
    Philomena 200/1

That means that for 12 Years A Slave, you’d have to bet five dollars to win one, whereas a one dollar bet on Philomena would get you $200. I’m no Ace Rothstein, but the four to one on Gravity is looking pretty nice to me.
    Not a lot of tight races according to Vegas...

I heard last night that 2/3rd's of America have not seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

I know I haven't. Just have gotten away from seeing movies (at theaters) the last couple of years.

Kind of coinciding with my favorite sports teams performing better.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-28-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I heard last night that 2/3rd's of America have not seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

I know I haven't. Just have gotten away from seeing movies (at theaters) the last couple of years.

Kind of coinciding with my favorites sports teams performing better.
    I have watched four of the best picture nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have watched four of the best picture nominees.
    ...and the winner is?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ...and the winner is?
    I liked Nebraska the best, but it doesn't feel like a "best picture" to me. None of them really do. I thought American Hustle was good, but vastly overrated.

16. Likes:

757690 (03-01-2014),RedTeamGo! (03-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I liked Nebraska the best, but it doesn't feel like a "best picture" to me. None of them really do. I thought American Hustle was good, but vastly overrated.
    I thought 12 Years a Slave always felt like the most "best picture" movie of them all, although I'd love to live in a world where Her feels like a "best picture"...

Senor Votto

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I thought 12 Years a Slave always felt like the most "best picture" movie of them all, although I'd love to live in a world where Her feels like a "best picture"...
    The Wolf of Wall Street was my personal favorite from 2013, but I would have liked to see Before Midnight and Blue is the Warmest Color nominated as well. I think Blue was past the deadline for Best Foreign Language Film, though. Not so sure about the other awards, but Adèle Exarchopoulos I thought was just as good as Cate Blanchett.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?