Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with the Reds?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Satisfied with the current state of the Reds

9 8.74%
  • Moderately satisfied

23 22.33%
  • Neutral

19 18.45%
  • Moderately dissatisfied

38 36.89%
  • Dissatisfied with the current state of the Reds

14 13.59%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion of the Reds- January 2014

Re: Your opinion of the Reds- January 2014

I just love it that only 29% of votes are satisfied or moderately satisfied
    True Redszone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Last edited by GAC; 01-18-2014 at 05:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

yes I am completely satiated by the acquisition of Branyon Pena

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Neutral. IMO, the roster is a work in progress. Ask again later.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    yes I am completely satiated by the acquisition of Branyon Pena
    I'd love to hear a critical analysis of the Pirates' offseason, which was headlined by signing Edinson Volquez and Clint Barmes, and followed a season where basically everything went right- a stark juxtaposition to the 2013 Reds, who had everyone underperforming or getting injured.

If the Cardinals and Pirates were making splashes and the Reds were in a bad position, I would be more concerned. Instead, neither the Cardinals nor the Pirates are doing anything meaningful, and the Reds' inactivity hasn't been due to an obvious lack of opportunity (e.g. a Dan Uggla for good players trade).

Complaining in this way smells of "spoiled Reds fan" to me, or of people who get the majority of their Reds information from Lance McAllister.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-19-2014),westofyou (01-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I'd love to hear a critical analysis of the Pirates' offseason, which was headlined by signing Edinson Volquez and Clint Barmes, and followed a season where basically everything went right- a stark juxtaposition to the 2013 Reds, who had everyone underperforming or getting injured.

If the Cardinals and Pirates were making splashes and the Reds were in a bad position, I would be more concerned. Instead, neither the Cardinals nor the Pirates are doing anything meaningful, and the Reds' inactivity hasn't been due to an obvious lack of opportunity (e.g. a Dan Uggla for good players trade).

Complaining in this way smells of "spoiled Reds fan" to me, or of people who get the majority of their Reds information from Lance McAllister.
    My problem is that this team can take small steps to improve the team dramatically, and they don't. Why not find a platoon bat or two? Aside from the discussed Matt Kemp deal, many people have extolled the virtues of finding a suitable left handed platoon/bench bat with power. This player could greatly strengthen the outfield, particularly left field. These types of guys were available in free agency, and via trade. Yet here we sit less than a month from the start of spring training.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

Kc61 (01-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    My problem is that this team can take small steps to improve the team dramatically, and they don't. Why not find a platoon bat or two? Aside from the discussed Matt Kemp deal, many people have extolled the virtues of finding a suitable left handed platoon/bench bat with power. This player could greatly strengthen the outfield, particularly left field. These types of guys were available in free agency, and via trade. Yet here we sit less than a month from the start of spring training.
    Never saw the Reds grabbing a OF as a FA unless it was tweener. The list of FA OF's is not that robust this off season five of them inked ML deals

Code:
    PLAYER	POS	AGE
    D.Robinson	LF	26
    Adron Chambers	CF	27
    Juan Perez	CF	27
    Chris Coghlan	LF	28
    Xavier Paul	LF	28
    Felix Pie	LF	28
    Delmon Young	RF	28
    Quintin Berry	LF	29
    Jacoby Ellsbury	CF	30
    F. Gutierrez	RF	30
    Chris Dickerson	LF	31
    Sam Fuld	LF	32
    Nelson Cruz	RF	33
    Austin Kearns	RF	33
    Endy Chavez	RF	35
    Matt Diaz	LF	35
    Andres Torres	LF	35
    Carlos Beltran	RF	36
    Juan Pierre	LF	36
    Reed Johnson	RF	37
    Mark Kotsay	LF	38
    Raul Ibanez	LF	41

Never saw the Reds grabbing a OF as a FA unless it was tweener. The list of FA OF's is not that robust this off season five of them inked ML deals

Code:
    PLAYER	POS	AGE
    D.Robinson	LF	26
    Adron Chambers	CF	27
    Juan Perez	CF	27
    Chris Coghlan	LF	28
    Xavier Paul	LF	28
    Felix Pie	LF	28
    Delmon Young	RF	28
    Quintin Berry	LF	29
    Jacoby Ellsbury	CF	30
    F. Gutierrez	RF	30
    Chris Dickerson	LF	31
    Sam Fuld	LF	32
    Nelson Cruz	RF	33
    Austin Kearns	RF	33
    Endy Chavez	RF	35
    Matt Diaz	LF	35
    Andres Torres	LF	35
    Carlos Beltran	RF	36
    Juan Pierre	LF	36
    Reed Johnson	RF	37
    Mark Kotsay	LF	38
    Raul Ibanez	LF	41
    Jason Kubel was available too. He signed for $2M on a minor deal. Players can be traded for as well. A flyer on Grady Sizemore would help I guess.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Jason Kubel was available too. He signed for $2M on a minor deal. Players can be traded for as well. A flyer on Grady Sizemore would help I guess.
    Yeah I have seen the trade as being what they wanted more than those FA 's there

My issue is that this ignores the fact that the Reds already used a lot of prospect-ammo to acquire Latos and Choo, that Jocketty doesn't often trade away prospects who end up being stars (meaning that he probably has a good reason to hang on to the prospects that he does), and that the Reds are a young, extremely competitive team that has literally no sign of imminent decline, and one that will more than likely see improvement just by going to war with the current roster and utilizing internal upgrades like Cingrani over Arroyo.

I understand always wanting to be better, but once your team is already very good, it becomes a lot harder and happens a lot less often. It's like going to Jeff Ruby's and complaining that your asparagus is undercooked, when the alternative is having gone to Applebees (Reds 2001-2009) and hoping to not get any hair in your food.
    Long live punishment

14. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-19-2014)

Prospect ammo expended is a bad argument. Latos deal was 2 years ago, and didn't trade away any guys that had a spot on this team, except the catcher. Choo deal was Stubbs and Didi, the current state of roster would be unchanged. If they didnt blow high draft picks on utility guys and bullpen arms maybe the farm would have useful pieces.

Prospect ammo expended is a bad argument. Latos deal was 2 years ago, and didn't trade away any guys that had a spot on this team, except the catcher. Choo deal was Stubbs and Didi, the current state of roster would be unchanged. If they didnt blow high draft picks on utility guys and bullpen arms maybe the farm would have useful pieces.
    I think that's fair, but at the same time the Latos deal took 2 first round picks and a 1-supplement, and the Choo deal took a top-100 prospect. Before those deals, the Reds' farm system was regarded very highly. They would have had to have extremely productive drafts to fix those situations.
    Long live punishment

17. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-19-2014)

Those players were 2008-2010 draft picks. Where are the other players? Major League success has masked player acquisition and development failures on the farm.

If they didnt blow high draft picks on utility guys and bullpen arms maybe the farm would have useful pieces.
    I'd be willing to bet they haven't picked a single guy saying "He'll be a great utility player!"
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I think the Reds have done well developing in house players. The biggest holes on the major league team are CF and Catcher. Mesoraco has been a bust for 2 years straight and Hamilton stalled in AAA. The Reds had the players lined-up, but the last two haven't come through. The reason I'm dissatisfied is that the Reds are ignoring how poor they were and are just handing them the job anyway. If they would address those two spots with reasonable major league players (not stars), this team would look a lot better. Instead we get Skippy Schumaker and Brayan Pena.

Horrible!
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?