Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with the Reds?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Satisfied with the current state of the Reds

9 8.74%
  • Moderately satisfied

23 22.33%
  • Neutral

19 18.45%
  • Moderately dissatisfied

38 36.89%
  • Dissatisfied with the current state of the Reds

14 13.59%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion of the Reds- January 2014

Re: Your opinion of the Reds- January 2014

Extremely dissatisfied:

1. A prospect who has failed in his big league audition 2 years running being handed the catching job

2. A prospect who failed at AAA being handed the major league CF job

3. Below average players at 3 of the 4 IF spots

4. A question mark coming off an injury penciled in as the LF and clean-up hitter and by default is the team's 3rd best position player.

Going that direction at one position to see what happens might be acceptable if there were enough strengths throughout the line-up to allow it, but going this direction at so many positions feels like we're being sold a bill of goods. Signing Brayan Pena when there were so many players who perfectly complement what Mesoraco brings to the table, and could have made that spot a real strength, feels a lot like dealing for Kirk Saarloos as the answer years and years of pitching problems. What a bunch of hooey.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (01-16-2014),joshua (01-17-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm went with the moderately disappointed. This team has a strong pitching staff and a offense that can score, but is "middle-heavy" and has several serious holes that they (save for Choo) have neglected for sometime. Now Choo's gone and that particular gap is even bigger than ever.

I have been frustrated by the way the salaries are structured - mainly handing out ill-advised, ham-stringing extensions. I also deplore the pitiful anemic benches Walt runs out there on a yearly basis-especially since there are at least five spots in the starting lineup the starting lineup that are question marks, could be upgraded an possibly use a platoon-partner. Less no-hit backups, more that can possibly give you the occasional XBH.

I know funds are limited and the Reds will never be the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers, but they're not the Padres or Astros either. I think what irks me most of all is though is that they are taking such a middling path. They're neither playing for the present or the future.

They say there is no money to add anyone as an excuse for doing nothing. If there isn't money now - make some. Make a salary-neutral deal or shed salary in one deal (and add prospects) to afford to make another. If they can't sign Homer then they needs to come up a big bat (at the very least) and go for it now. If not, then deal Homer for some top young talent and try to stretch the window.

Votto is top-notch, Bruce ends up with solid numbers by the end of the year and can carry the team for a couple of weeks at a time, but nearly disappears for what seems like months, Phillips is Ok, but not worthy of the contract. Billy is exciting, but can he get on base enough to show it. If this team decides it wants to go for it and challenge the Cards then it needs at least one more impact bat.

After this epic opus it would seem like I should have been in the "seriously pissed" category. but I'm not. I'm still looking forward to the season and I'm gonna enjoy what I watch. I'm actually planning on doubling the number of games I attend above what I've seen the last year. I'm even still holding out the believe that Walt will do something exciting before Spring Training. Make me proud Uncle Walt!

Let's all just pray Walt doesn't see his shadow when he comes out of his hole on February 2nd.

6. Likes:

LoganBuck (01-17-2014),Red Raindog (01-17-2014)

Guess all the DUHsty (sic) haters have a new piņata

8. Likes:

Big Klu (01-20-2014),Old school 1983 (01-17-2014),REDREAD (01-18-2014),Tom Servo (01-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Guess all the DUHsty (sic) haters have a new piņata
    20% of the payroll is tied up in Broxton, Marshall, Ludwick

Spin away!

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    20% of the payroll is tied up in Broxton, Marshall, Ludwick

Spin away!

I follow baseball, not payroll

Have a good time with your hobby

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I follow baseball, not payroll

Have a good time with your hobby
    Well, either way, the baseball team is in terrible shape.

Well, either way, the baseball team is in terrible shape.

Yeah just horrible, just horrible.

Most of Red history says hi

13. Likes:

Big Klu (01-20-2014)

I went with moderately satisfied. I'm not dancing with joy, but I'm happy with being a Reds fan.

I believe in the people in charge. I believe in the people that write the checks, that make the day to day decisions. They have not let me down yet. They have brought the Reds back to competitive, post season baseball.

I have not forgotten what the 2000's were like, and I'm glad that they are in the rearview mirror.

I have faith in Walt. I believe that Joey Votto will work toward being the player that he expects himself to be. I enjoy watching Jay Bruce play baseball, and the work he puts in, striving for the player he wants to be. That if Brandon Phillips continues to be in Cincinnati, he will leave it all out on the field, as he seems to be very prideful, and will look to put his doubters to rest.

I look forward to watching Mat Latos continue to be awesome. To watching Homer Bailey fulfilling all of that potential we read about in the mid 2000's. Reading about Robert Stephenson being an even better ACE in waiting than we thought Homer to be back then.

I will enjoy watching the season play out. Seeing what the answers will be to all of our questions. How will Billy Hamilton perform his first time through the league? Will Mesoraco take the step forward that I, and the team, believe he can? Is Todd Frazier more 2012 or 2013? Somewhere in between? How will Bryan Price manage in his first season as manager?

So as I sit here tonight, yes, I am satisfied with the Cincinnati Reds. I mean in less than a month, there will be the popping of catcher's mitts in Goodyear, and the Reds will be tied with the Cardinals for first place.

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-17-2014),DannyB (01-19-2014),herbdizzle (01-20-2014),Jamz (01-24-2014),REDREAD (01-18-2014),Tom Servo (01-19-2014)

Totally dissatisfied with the team as it is today. Too much money spent on middle of the road or declining players. (Broxton, Phillips, Ludwick, Marshall). Now no money (so they say) to acquire improvements. Loss of Choo and Arroyo, with bargain basement replacements Schumacher, Pena, Francis, Wang, etc. Only a minor miracle of many players having career years at the same time will keep this team in contention.

17. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (01-17-2014)

We made no moves after 2010 and were worse for it the next year. We came third in the division in 2013 and have done nothing to get better, but with the loss of Choo we are even worse off.

I'd prefer the Reds traded off some pieces to gather prospects and rebuild for when Stephenson, Winker, Ervin etc. arrive if they're just going to stand pat.

19. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (01-17-2014)

I'm perfectly satisfied. Built to compete now and in the future.

Drooling over:
    Stephensen, Hamilton, Winker, Ervin and 2 more first rounders this June. Pretty excited about a handful of other prospects.

And oh yeah, we have one of the best pitching staffs in the NL and one of the best run scoring lineups in the NL, and a new kick ass manager.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

21. Likes:

Big Klu (01-20-2014),REDREAD (01-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I'm perfectly satisfied. Built to compete now and in the future.

Drooling over:
    Stephensen, Hamilton, Winker, Ervin and 2 more first rounders this June. Pretty excited about a handful of other prospects.

And oh yeah, we have one of the best pitching staffs in the NL and one of the best run scoring lineups in the NL, and a new kick ass manager.

You never did answer the questions:

Should they fire Walt today?
    If so, who should replace him?

Moderately satisfied. I'm satisfied they will be a contender this year. I don't see much difference between this team and the 2012 team. They are just heavily dependant on the pitching staff staying healthy and having a good season. If they have health issues it may turn into a very long season. Hamilton is the big wild card for the season. If he progesses and makes good adjustments at the MLB level then it could turn into a really great season. I'm just not holding my breath on that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?