Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with the Reds?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Satisfied with the current state of the Reds

9 8.74%
  • Moderately satisfied

23 22.33%
  • Neutral

19 18.45%
  • Moderately dissatisfied

38 36.89%
  • Dissatisfied with the current state of the Reds

14 13.59%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your opinion of the Reds- January 2014

Re: Your opinion of the Reds- January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Those players were 2008-2010 draft picks. Where are the other players? Major League success has masked player acquisition and development failures on the farm.
    To be fair, 2011 has produced a member of the rotation and the team's top prospect. The 2013 first rounder looks like a building block and the sandwich, 2nd, and 4th rounders look like they could become mainstays - several others could pan out as well. 2012 has yielded a fast moving teen-ager who hits everything and may be ready for AA already. The 4th rounder is in the AA rotation and may be ready for a big league look at some point this season. The first and 3rd rounders may still have a chance and the 8th, 10th and 17th rounders may be players. It's awfully soon to have major league contributions from those drafts.

The problem is in adding players from outside. Standing pat at the deadline and passing on a guy like Marlon Byrd. Leaving catcher and CF to guys who have failed instead of earning the job and addressing the problem with bit players instead of solid contributors.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'd be willing to bet they haven't picked a single guy saying "He'll be a great utility player!"
    Maybe they should've. Might not have picked'em.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Moderately Satisfied.

I think they are better than what a lot of people are expecting. Losing Choo doesn't make us go from a 90 win team to a .500 team. We had an unlucky year in a lot of ways and we still won 90 games.

Our pitching staff is as good as any and that alone makes us division contenders. We were severely affected by injuries to this staff last year and they were still excellent.

If Hamilton isn't a dumpster fire, and at least one of : {Frazier, Cozart, Mes, Ludwick} has a good year offensively, we'll be totally fine.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Moderately Satisfied.

I think they are better than what a lot of people are expecting. Losing Choo doesn't make us go from a 90 win team to a .500 team. We had an unlucky year in a lot of ways and we still won 90 games.

Our pitching staff is as good as any and that alone makes us division contenders. We were severely affected by injuries to this staff last year and they were still excellent.

If Hamilton isn't a dumpster fire, and at least one of : {Frazier, Cozart, Mes, Ludwick} has a good year offensively, we'll be totally fine.
    "Fine" gets stale after 4-5 years.

Neutral. I don't know that the money was going to be there to make anything other than marginal improvements, and you can't count on trades being made.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

According to the poll I'm with the majority. Not real excited or optimistic about 2014.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Moderately dissastified. I was hoping some offense would be added, and I know they tried, but as we watch other teams do this and we stand pat, it gives me the feeling that the Reds either value what they have more than anyone else or other teams don't value our players as much as we do. It's the small market blues I guess.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'm neutral, but not distressed. I still think it's a good team. Too much pitching not to be a good team. They need to bring in an OF bat to move me into the moderately satisfied ledger (and I'd be wait-and-see until we get into ST if Grady Sizemore is that bat).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Love the starting pitching, concerned about the offense. I think they're a wildcard team at best as currently constructed, but I suspect things will look different by Opening Day.

One issue that is not given enough ink is injuries.

This could make a huge difference this season.

Ludwick, Cueto, Cingrani, Marshall, and Broxton all had meaningful injuries last year.

I don't think we can assume they will all be back to full strength. On the other hand, a more lucky season in terms of health would be a big boost.

Cueto, in particular, is absolutely key in my view.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-20-2014 at 07:56 PM.

12. Likes:

757690 (01-20-2014)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

It's tough. I voted moderately dissatisfied, but now that I think more about it, I'm moderately dissatisfied in the offseason. Not necessarily the state of the team. I'm actually probably moderately satisfied when looking at the big picture.

Prime example of being able to respond too quickly on the Internet.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One issue that is not given enough ink is injuries.

This could make a huge difference this season.

Ludwick, Cueto, Cingrani, Marshall, and Broxton all had meaningful injuries last year.

I don't think we can assume they will all be back to full strength. On the other hand, a more lucky season in terms of healthy good be a big boost.

Cueto, in particular, is absolutely key in my view.
    As the team stands I agree 100%. Health makes or breaks this team.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-24-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-20-2014)

Attrition affects every team, attrition of health, luck, attitude, dependence on super stars.

Depth is the key, the Reds have schooled the fan base on depth of position players, mostly outfielders, for 60 years now, there's more holes in the 8 slots aside from the staff when you build a team, it really does test all front offices. But no depth in the staff, no depth in the ML for pitchers and your house will burn nightly. It's obvious the FO thinks pitching depth first and everything else after that (aside from Votto) it's hard as a Reds fan to wring your hands over offense, it's not a familiar habit.

Paradigms are hell.

17. Likes:

Big Klu (01-21-2014)

Focusing on pitching depth first is actually a smart way to go. They are the single player with the most impact on the game for either team, really. A bad offensive team with an amazing rotation will still win more games than a team with bad pitching and a good offence (IMO).

Building through the rotation/bullpen is the way to go. The Reds have that right. Though I don't think it means they can neglect the other positions.

I'm optimistic about this season (really excited to see what BHam can do), but I still feel like another move would be preferable.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

The worst part of the offseason is that I have been wanting a moderately big, to big trade so I could post

"Its going down, Walt is yelling "Timber"."

Lame I know.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?