Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Team On-Base Percentage and a Balanced Lineup

Re: Team On-Base Percentage and a Balanced Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Well I can't find o-swing splits, but his LD% took a very noticeable bump in the second half of the season while his FB% dropped. It's hard to say if it's sustainable, but it seemed like he was no longer trying to crush the ball in every at bat and it benefited him (an increase to .282/.315, which would be awesome as full season numbers). His power took a hit, but the tradeoff (.315 vs. .265 OBPs) is more than worth it.

If Cozart could post in the .315 - .330 range of OBP over a full season he'd be a very good SS. I'm with you in hoping that the batting coach can help him realize that he doesn't need to swing out of his socks or try to rip a homer in every at bat.
    Thanks for doing the legwork on that part of it. I'm so champing at the bit for spring training to start. Have I said that enough times?
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Likes:

Jamz (02-06-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I expect Phillips to hit better. I've watched this player for so long. He tries to be a hero. He plays hurt. He did last year and it sapped him of power. Unless it is a chronic injury, I expect improvement.

I expect Ludwick to surprise everyone and do better. He's a pretty sound hitter particularly in a GABP environment. Last year's numbers, after that injury, should be thrown out the window. He's had time to recover.

But on Mesoraco, Frazier and Cozart, I think it's speculative to expect the turnaround so many are projecting. We've discussed their hitting tendencies (e.g., all the grounders Todd hit last season) and I don't think these guys will improve unless they make adjustments.

I think Mes had plenty of opportunity last season. He wasn't rotting on the bench. I think the pitchers figured out how to get Todd to top the ball.
    As for Cozart, he'll never get anywhere unless he walks more. He's not the type of hitter to succeed without the walks.

These three could easily improve with a new hitting coach, but only if they adjust their hitting tendencies.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-06-2014), jimbo (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Not remotely a fair comparison.

Bronson had mono. Phillips had a wrist injury. That's about it. He had mono before the season began, so he never had any time that he was healthy. Brandon was healthy up until he injured his wrist.

Bronson has been a junk-ball pitcher with control for a very long time. Age has a much less effect on a player like that than it does on a batter. Loss of physical ability takes it's toll on all batters with age, unless they use steroids.

Brandon's OPS will be better than last year's because of his wrist injury, but he won't exceed his OPS from the year before (.750), which was a 50-point drop from the year before that, which was age-related.
    Well, obviously it strikes me as a completely fair comparison, because I made it. I'm seeing the same empty doom predictions for Phillips that were being tossed Arroyo's way two years ago. If anything, the end of Arroyo was taken more as an article of faith here and in the media in general. I only recall a small group of people who stuck their necks out to make the case Arroyo would bounce back.

As for what Phillips' OPS will be in 2014. Better than 2013 is a safe bet. Maybe it will be .725, maybe it will be .750. It all rests on his batting average.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-06-2014)

Bronson Arroyo has been a back end arm in front of a great defense in an overall run environment that has been trending stingy.

He's getting to pitch (assuming someone signs him) this season in no small part because Walt decided to fashion a Reds team that can catch.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, obviously it strikes me as a completely fair comparison, because I made it. I'm seeing the same empty doom predictions for Phillips that were being tossed Arroyo's way two years ago. If anything, the end of Arroyo was taken more as an article of faith here and in the media in general. I only recall a small group of people who stuck their necks out to make the case Arroyo would bounce back.

As for what Phillips' OPS will be in 2014. Better than 2013 is a safe bet. Maybe it will be .725, maybe it will be .750. It all rests on his batting average.
    I thought Arroyo would bounce back, and I am almost as sure Phillips will do the same.

I do, however lean towards trading him.

You've made a good case for keeping him, especially with no real replacement in house, but a trade would head off a potential powder keg type situation in the clubhouse, and it would obviously free up dollars to sign Bailey. Throw in the possibility of landing Gardner and I was all in. Too bad the Yanks weren't biting.

Turn Off Ads?