Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crazy high Salary

Re: Crazy high Salary

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The problem isn't what they pay Chris Heisey. The problem is the salary inequality between professional athletes and the general public.

50 years ago, baseball players made nice salaries but they were still, for the most part, middle class. Now they are all in the top ranks of earners, even the bottom guys on a team. Heisey is being overpaid as compared to a teacher or a police officer. As to a baseball player he is not.
    Don't wanna take this thread further into poltical territory, but it's worth noting there's less than a thousand people on the globe capable of doing what Chris Heisey does. Not really comparable occupations.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Heisey is being overpaid as compared to a teacher or a police officer. As to a baseball player he is not.
    Heisey is ultimately paid by the fans. If people received as much benefit and/or happiness from teachers and police officers as they do from professional baseball players, they'd spend their money on those institutions rather than on merchandise/tickets/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Don't wanna take this thread further into poltical territory, but it's worth noting there's less than a thousand people on the globe capable of doing what Chris Heisey does. Not really comparable occupations.
    I don't disagree -- and I don't mean to make this political. Just wanted to point out that for the last 50 years entertainment salaries (and I include professional athletes) have increased much more than salaries of other careers. This is why the salary of over 1 million seems excessive -- it's so much larger than most of us can even dream of making even if we are in a job that less than 1000 people around the world could do as well.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

I can't believe people are complaining about Heisey's salary. He's prove to be a valuable/productive MLB outfielder. That's worth his salary over players like Lutz, Robinson, etc. since he's shown he is able to perform. I'm annoyed when fans think AAA players can automatically fill the shoes of a bench-level player like Heisey.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Advertising is a huge part of it. Ticket sales. I buy tickets. I don't have to pay more because advertisers are paying more. It is not an additional burden.
    But who pays for advertising? Whoever is selling products is making money, and the cost of advertising is in the cost of all products.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    But who pays for advertising? Whoever is selling products is making money, and the cost of advertising is in the cost of all products.

Do you mean my professor lied to me? I always thought price point was determined by supply and demand, as well as maximizing profit. They will sell products for as much as you are willing to pay.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

8. Likes:

M2 (01-18-2014)

Turn Off Ads?