Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think drafting Jeremy Hill over Carlos Hyde is going to go down as a huge blunder. For some reason people vastly underrate Hyde, he will go down as one of the best running backs in the history of Ohio State football.
    I wanted Hyde too. Hope I'm wrong. I also wanted Tom Savage or Mettenberger over McCarron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Agreed. Not sure what the rush is. He's under contract for this year and under team control for next year with a franchise tag if they need it. If the Bengals feel like they want a replacement for 2015, they can survey the field of potential replacements next Feb. If they feel like they can't get a useful enough replacement that way, they can use the Franchise Tag and do the dance again in 2016.
    The franchise tag will be over $21M. Doesn't make sense for many reasons. They will have to use a First Round pick on a QB next year, and probably have to trade up, if they want someone better than Dalton in 2015, and they still probably won't get that.

They're stuck with Dalton now. Pay him now. It's going to cost $5M more per season later.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I think drafting Jeremy Hill over Carlos Hyde is going to go down as a huge blunder. For some reason people vastly underrate Hyde, he will go down as one of the best running backs in the history of Ohio State football.
    The Bengals have also never had much success with Ohio State players in the past either.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I took Rosenthal's "Loser" designation as being based on the fact that the Bengals waited until the 5th to get a QB. He doesn't like Dalton.
    And, he can certainly be right about that. To put all your eggs in one basket,..."that Andy Dalton is going to figure out in his 4th year or beyond to perform adequately under pressure (playoff games or any other kind of pressure)", is not a good way to run a franchise. It's way too much risk versus the opportunity that the Bengals have right now based on the rest of their roster, which has been primed for a Super Bowl run the last two years and for another three to four years (the A.J. Green/Geno Atkins/Burfict years).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Bengals have also never had much success with Ohio State players in the past either.
    If they are passing on a player because of the failures of a couple players from a school years ago that are completely unrelated to the player in question then that is some extremely lazy scouting.

Gio was my #1 rated RB going into last year's draft and Hill was my #1 rated RB going into this year's draft. Couldn't be happier on that front. I am disappointed that we lost our 3rd best Offensive Lineman to Free Agency without replacing him. I hope we draft an OT in the First Round next season (Free Agency is never an option for Bengals' fans).

If they are passing on a player because of the failures of a couple players from a school years ago that are completely unrelated to the player in question then that is some extremely lazy scouting.
    You're right. It shouldn't make any sense to stay away from a school like Ohio State just because some players didn't pan out in the past. I doubt if West Virginia was serious about his comment. There is something, though, in staying away from USC Wide Receivers. There's a prima-donna mentality that goes with the school and the position that's proven to be a recipe for failure in the NFL. Their Receivers have been a very lazy, unmotivated group of individuals (as have many of their Quarterbacks, Carson Palmer not included).

Some Universities, because of their Head Coaches alone, have their players more pro-ready, while some schools, because of their Head Coaches or situation (USC) have their players less pro-ready.

The only two players on the Bengals roster from Ohio State are Nugent and Sanzenbacher.

They've had chances to take Ohio State players in the past and have neglected to do so. Chris Gamble comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The only two players on the Bengals roster from Ohio State are Nugent and Sanzenbacher.

They've had chances to take Ohio State players in the past and have neglected to do so. Chris Gamble comes to mind.
    It has always seemed like they've passed on in-state players after Archie Griffin proved to be such a flop. I question their in-state scouting abilities, though I am very pleased with what Tobin has accomplished ever since he was finally given a legitimate staff to work with (four scouts instead of two scouts so he could truly be a "Director" of scouting). I was perturbed when they whiffed on Pierre Garcon. That was a no-brainer at the time for me, and to let next-door neighbor Indianapolis steal him from them was an "asleep-at-the-wheel" moment. Just as the 49er's didn't miss on Kaepernick, the closest in proximity NFL franchise to his school, the Bengals should have been on top of Garcon from Miami (though Cleveland had as good of a chance).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It has always seemed like they've passed on in-state players after Archie Griffin proved to be such a flop. I question their in-state scouting abilities, though I am very pleased with what Tobin has accomplished ever since he was finally given a legitimate staff to work with (four scouts instead of two scouts so he could truly be a "Director" of scouting). I was perturbed when they whiffed on Pierre Garcon. That was a no-brainer at the time for me, and to let next-door neighbor Indianapolis steal him from them was an "asleep-at-the-wheel" moment. Just as the 49er's didn't miss on Kaepernick, the closest in proximity NFL franchise to his school, the Bengals should have been on top of Garcon from Miami (though Cleveland had as good of a chance).
    It's funny, back in the bad old days, I felt like they were too reliant on in-state players. Not necessarily in the draft, but it seemed like there were always a lot of locals on the roster. Not sure if the roster reality backed this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Gio was my #1 rated RB going into last year's draft and Hill was my #1 rated RB going into this year's draft. Couldn't be happier on that front. I am disappointed that we lost our 3rd best Offensive Lineman to Free Agency without replacing him. I hope we draft an OT in the First Round next season (Free Agency is never an option for Bengals' fans).
    Marshall Newhouse is the replacement for Anthony Collins.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

We haven't been drafting for need, necessarily, for a couple of seasons now. It's accepted league-wide that the Bengals have been one of the most talent-laden teams in the league.

Last year we snagged Eifert as he fell to us, though TE was not a need...not in the first round anyway. We also got the ideal RB in the 2nd Round, where we could have easily waited until the 4th Round for a RB that fit the team, but Gio, too, was there and we had to take advantage of that. Hunt was a pure "high reward" gamble, though LB was a greater need right there, where we could have snagged Brown (we were also hoping that Thomas Howard was going to get healthy before the start of the season, but it just never happened, and the same was true with Travelle Wharton, so we passed on Guard, too).

This year, we got the gift of Dennard. Had Dennard not been there, we might have gone OT in the 1st. Then when Hill was still available in the 2nd, something I certainly didn't see happening, another opportunity for an OT or a QB went by the wayside, as Hill was just too, too good to pass up at that spot. Then the third round came around and a highly coveted Center was available, causing the Bengals to do something rare for them...move up in an early round to grab a player they coveted. He has to be very highly rated for them to make that move. So, another opportunity at an OT and QB went by the wayside. At this point, there was no longer any QB they valued worthy enough to trade up to get. They clearly didn't feel the same way about Savage as I do, and I think they kind of desperately went with McCarron in the 4th Round. I think they'll regret that move as they passed on 100 players who were more worthy of being picked. McCarron will never start a game for the Bengals (or at least be effective if he does), and that will make it a completely wasted pick, where someone who would contribute on Special Teams would have been a better choice.

So, because the draft fell into line really well for the Bengals, I believe they just rolled up their sleeves on the OT and QB positions and said to themselves, "We did great this season...let's give it a go next year on these two positions and pray to God that Dalton figures out how to handle pressure and that our O-Line holds up and improves at run-blocking".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Marshall Newhouse is the replacement for Anthony Collins.
    Marshall Newhouse won't make the team. He's horrible, not worthy of being on an NFL roster. It wasn't a mistake bringing him in as he gets no guaranteed money, but he won't be on the roster September 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's funny, back in the bad old days, I felt like they were too reliant on in-state players. Not necessarily in the draft, but it seemed like there were always a lot of locals on the roster. Not sure if the roster reality backed this up.
    That's because they had no scouting department. They knew little to nothing about players from around the nation, simply because they didn't have the time to investigate very many very thoroughly. What they knew was partial information.

They still don't have much representation in the West. I was hoping that the hiring of UCLA's former director of player personnel before the last draft as the Head of West Coast scouting would change this, but it doesn't seem to be the case. That said, for them to have gone with a University of Arizona player, to me, means that he is very highly regarded on the scouting department, and I believe they probably nailed this one. Tobin has done a very good job since he was relieved of the duties of pure scouting and got to become a full-time Director. He seems to be more valuable at Directing a whole team than he was to us before as a pure scout.

Kingspoint,

I'm having trouble squaring up your posts.

It has always seemed like they've passed on in-state players after Archie Griffin proved to be such a flop. I question their in-state scouting abilities, though I am very pleased with what Tobin has accomplished ever since he was finally given a legitimate staff to work with (four scouts instead of two scouts so he could truly be a "Director" of scouting).
    Then when I counter that they used to have too many in-state players, you agreed(sort of)
    That's because they had no scouting department. They knew little to nothing about players from around the nation, simply because they didn't have the time to investigate very many very thoroughly. What they knew was partial information.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Hill has much less wear and tear than Hyde.

Turn Off Ads?