Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2014 Bengals Discussion

Time for a new thread since we're clearly done with the Playoffs and have the coaching carousel settled?

My ideal offseason plan would be as follows:

1. Sign Alex Mack
    2. Sign Darren McFadden
    3. Prioritize the following in the draft:

Round 1 (pick 24)
    1. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St
    2. Darqueze Dennard CB Mich St (Kiper's pick in his first mock draft)
    3. Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

Round 2
    1. Best QB Available - likely Derek Carr or Zach Mettenberger
    2. Carlos Hyde RB Ohio St (only if they don't sign McFadden)
    3. If they don't draft a CB in the first, best CB available - likely either of the Florida CB (Purifoy or Roberson)

Round 3
    1. Best OLB, SS or OL available
    2. AJ McCarron QB Alabama (if Carr and Mettenberger are off the board in Round 2)
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason

I posted this on the other thread, but I don't see Derek Carr making it to the Bengals at 24, let alone the second round. If he's there at 24, then take him there.

I'm just thinking best player available in round 1. If it's Gilbert, Dennard, OL, LB, S. The Bengals could upgrade about anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

Is Michael Johnson a definite goner at DE in free agency? If so, do we need to look for a replacement? I'm not sure Hunt is ready yet & even if Geathers is back, is he good enough? Or is it worth spending more money on the D-line with Atkins & Dunlap already making big money? Maybe a mid-round (4th or 5th?) draft pick would be good and even if he is more Peko than Atkins, that could help down the line, though I guess Still & Thompson are both around.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Is Michael Johnson a definite goner at DE in free agency? If so, do we need to look for a replacement? I'm not sure Hunt is ready yet & even if Geathers is back, is he good enough? Or is it worth spending more money on the D-line with Atkins & Dunlap already making big money? Maybe a mid-round (4th or 5th?) draft pick would be good and even if he is more Peko than Atkins, that could help down the line, though I guess Still & Thompson are both around.
    Assuming MJ is gone, I think we still have enough depth on the D-line between Dunlap Geathers, Gilberry, Hunt, Still, Thompson, Peko and of course Geno. I wouldn't be opposed to spending a 3rd round pick or later on a DE, but I don't think we can afford to do that with our first two picks.

We just spent a 2nd rounder on Margus Hunt last year, and a 2nd and 3rd rounder on Still and Thompson the year before. Of course it hurts to lose Zimmer and MJ, but IMO CB, SS, and OLB are bigger areas of need on D.

As a side note, Geathers may be washed up as well. Wouldn't surprise me to see him let go in Training Camp.
    Go BLUE!!!

I forgot about Gilberry. He has been a nice pickup.

Good points

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I forgot about Gilberry. He has been a nice pickup.

Good points
    Yeah, the emergence of Gilberry makes resigning Johnson a less pressing need. I've already seen articles saying he made a mistake in not signing an extension last off-season, as he is more one dimensional than the other Bengals linemen and won't command as much in the free agent market.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 01-17-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Also the Bengals drafted Margus Hunt for the very purpose of replacing Johnson, so they at least have a plan going forward.

Michael Johnson to the Bucs for 5 yr 43 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Michael Johnson to the Bucs for 5 yr 43 million.
    Collins is also rumored to be signing with the Bucs, but nothing official yet.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Happy to see the Bucs get a good player for the D-Line -- but they need a terror from the outside that can get after opposing QBs. Johnson is a nice piece, but he isn't that guy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

@pauldehnerjr Center Kyle Cook is saying goodbye and he's been let go by the #Bengals on his Facebook page.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Kyle Cook gone? I didn't see that coming but I'm glad. I feared that MB didn't think he had a problem in the middle of his O line

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kyle Cook gone? I didn't see that coming but I'm glad. I feared that MB didn't think he had a problem in the middle of his O line
    Great for Mike Brown to recognize the importance of having someone better than Cook keeping pressure off of Dalton. Similar to Mike recognizing that MJ isn't worth anywhere near the money he got from Tampa. Gilberry can come in and not only not miss a beat but be much more productive than MJ, just as he was last year whenever he got playing time.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Great for Mike Brown to recognize the importance of having someone better than Cook keeping pressure off of Dalton. Similar to Mike recognizing that MJ isn't worth anywhere near the money he got from Tampa. Gilberry can come in and not only not miss a beat but be much more productive than MJ, just as he was last year whenever he got playing time.
    Looks like the Bengals will stockpile some nice comp picks for next yr

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not sure he does. Or at least he think Pollack's the answer. Hope he's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?