Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Then the third round came around and a highly coveted Center was available, causing the Bengals to do something rare for them...move up in an early round to grab a player they coveted. He has to be very highly rated for them to make that move. So, another opportunity at an OT and QB went by the wayside. At this point, there was no longer any QB they valued worthy enough to trade up to get. They clearly didn't feel the same way about Savage as I do, and I think they kind of desperately went with McCarron in the 4th Round. I think they'll regret that move as they passed on 100 players who were more worthy of being picked. McCarron will never start a game for the Bengals (or at least be effective if he does), and that will make it a completely wasted pick, where someone who would contribute on Special Teams would have been a better choice.
    The center was actually in the 4th round and McCarron in the 5th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

OC Hue Jackson confirmed the A.J. McCarron pick was "not about Andy Dalton."

The draft actually couldn't have gone much better for Dalton. The Bengals waited until the fifth round to select a quarterback, and went with one that profiles as a long-term backup. McCarron's big name doesn't change his status as a game manager.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The center was actually in the 4th round and McCarron in the 5th.
    Correct.

The Third Round pick was very good, too, as one of the Top-5 4-3 DE's fell to them (mainly because he's a system player and so many teams run a 3-4 eliminating him from their boards).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Hill has much less wear and tear than Hyde.
    Which was one of the best things I like about Hill and why I had him graded as my #1 RB in the draft.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Kingspoint,

I'm having trouble squaring up your posts.

Then when I counter that they used to have too many in-state players, you agreed(sort of)

I could see your reason for the confusion. No doubt.

Before the scouting staff was improved from two scouts with one of them serving as Director of scouting to four scouts plus a Director of Scouting, they were limited on how much physical time was available to spend on any one particular player. As a result, they were forced to use a lot of information that came from "friends" in the football world as various locations around the U.S. Most of these "friends" were local, so there was a greater chance of them choosing someone locally. I do believe that they soured on "Ohio" players specifically after Archie Griffin didn't work out for them. The Georgia pipeline has been solid for them, as the information gleaned from that school has proven reliable and influential. They hit a grandslam with A.J. Green and a once-in-a-franchise pick with Atkins.

But, I do feel that they've avoided Ohio players. Not sure why. Maybe it's like, "I don't bet for or against my favorite teams because emotion is too involved and distorts my analysis".

But, since Tobin has had four full-time scouts under his control with a pure "Director of Scouting" as his primary job, the Bengals have become very good at drafting. I'd still like to see a greater presence out West, as it's an area that seems to only be understood by NFL franchises that are already located out West. Could be that their College games end at 1:00 a.m. EST, so they aren't as exposed, and it could also be that face-time with teams is also very limited. Oregon State players, for example, traditionally outperform their drafted positions. That's because they are extremely well-coached by Mike Riley. This is an opportunity missed by most of the NFL.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

OC Hue Jackson confirmed the A.J. McCarron pick was "not about Andy Dalton."

The draft actually couldn't have gone much better for Dalton. The Bengals waited until the fifth round to select a quarterback, and went with one that profiles as a long-term backup. McCarron's big name doesn't change his status as a game manager.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
    I'm a little concerned that McCarron won't accept his role as a backup. My guess is he'll get ticked and his attitude may suffer. He's already ticked that he was a 5th rd pick

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm a little concerned that McCarron won't accept his role as a backup. My guess is he'll get ticked and his attitude may suffer. He's already ticked that he was a 5th rd pick
    I wouldn't say I'm concerned. If he's truly ticked off but doesn't use that in a constructive way, he'll be ticked off that he's not being paid more to be gym teacher.
    He's a 5th round talent. If he plays better than projected, he'll have a chance to compete. If he doesn't the Bengals didn't lose much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It has always seemed like they've passed on in-state players after Archie Griffin proved to be such a flop. I question their in-state scouting abilities, though I am very pleased with what Tobin has accomplished ever since he was finally given a legitimate staff to work with (four scouts instead of two scouts so he could truly be a "Director" of scouting). I was perturbed when they whiffed on Pierre Garcon. That was a no-brainer at the time for me, and to let next-door neighbor Indianapolis steal him from them was an "asleep-at-the-wheel" moment. Just as the 49er's didn't miss on Kaepernick, the closest in proximity NFL franchise to his school, the Bengals should have been on top of Garcon from Miami (though Cleveland had as good of a chance).
    Garcon did not play at Miami - he played at Mt. Union (much closer to Cleveland than Cincinnati).

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Garcon did not play at Miami - he played at Mt. Union (much closer to Cleveland than Cincinnati).
    Miami...Mt. Union...smaller Ohio school than OSU was my point, while I did mention that Cleveland would have an equal opportunity to Cincinnati. But, thanks for clarifying it.

10. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-12-2014)

Miami...Mt. Union...smaller Ohio school than OSU was my point, while I did mention that Cleveland would have an equal opportunity to Cincinnati. But, thanks for clarifying it.
    Mt. Union is also a Division 3 school with 2200 students. Big difference between them and FBS school Miami.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Mt. Union is also a Division 3 school with 2200 students. Big difference between them and FBS school Miami.
    Off-topic here but I wonder if Mt. Union could have beat Miami last year.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Dear Bengals,

I am an Alabama fan but please take your new employees computer, tablet, smartphone, etc... away from him as well as his equally stupid mothers devices as well. They have made Alabama look stupid enough.

P.S Pay him an additional 25,000 bonus to do not do the reality TV show also.

Sincerely, Chris
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Off-topic here but I wonder if Mt. Union could have beat Miami last year.
    Mt. Union has a great football program, but it's still a Division 3 program. If they were to play Miami, the first thing you'd notice is the difference in the size of the players. The Offensive and Defensive linemen are much smaller than your average FBS division team. For all the winning Mt. Union has done at their level, they've still only produced Pierre Garçon, Cecil Shorts, and Dom Capers as notable alumni in the NFL
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Obviously the Dennard pick was a good pick, there is little debating that.

However, I don't like the the Hill pick in the second round. Running backs have been a dime a dozen for a long time, this is not a recent phenomenon, unless you are getting an AP type every down guy or a really interesting gadget back (ala Bernard) it is not worth it to take a back even in the second round. It screamed panic pick to me. I do think Hill will be productive though, and I'm glad they chose him over Hyde. Hill played at a higher level of competition and I believe the statement the Bengals scouts made that Hyde had bigger holes to run though to be true. Hill also seems to do more at the second level.

I am not a fan of the Mccaron pick either. There are things that I like about Mccaron for sure, but with Mettenberger still on the board I see no reason not to take a risk on the guy that has a higher ceiling with a 5th round pick. Mccaron also brings unneeded distractions, the kind of distractions that the Bengals seem to have worked hard to get rid of from their football team. Also, once again this pick reeked of panic, as they took a QB in the 5th round immediately after another team did.

Otherwise, I don't have many problems with anything they did, other than taking a special teams project WR in the 7th round when they could have taken a guy like JC Copeland who could be a real contributor and would have been better value, among other players still on the board.

I think the problem with draft analysis is that we get all wrapped up into who a team should draft because Mel Kiper, Jr. or Mike Mayock said this or that about them and maybe we've seen a highlight reel or two. To say the Bengals should have taken this guy in the fifth round or that guy in the 7th before they've even played a down of pro football is silly. We don't know how these players will pan out, so why don't we give them a chance to make the team first?

17. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (05-13-2014),Hoosier Red (05-13-2014),OGB (05-14-2014),Stray (05-13-2014),WrongVerb (05-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The only two players on the Bengals roster from Ohio State are Nugent and Sanzenbacher.

They've had chances to take Ohio State players in the past and have neglected to do so. Chris Gamble comes to mind.

Pete Johnson was drafted in 1977 and was very good for them until he ate himself out of the NFL.

He was a bigger faster version of Boobie Clark.

They did draft Archie's brother at CB but he was not very good at all.

Turn Off Ads?