Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 631

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

  1. #241
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,056

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Dear Bengals,

    I am an Alabama fan but please take your new employees computer, tablet, smartphone, etc... away from him as well as his equally stupid mothers devices as well. They have made Alabama look stupid enough.

    P.S Pay him an additional 25,000 bonus to do not do the reality TV show also.

    Sincerely, Chris

    So this guy is basically all about himself, his ego and buying into the celebrity aspect rather than the football aspect of his job?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #242
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the problem with draft analysis is that we get all wrapped up into who a team should draft because Mel Kiper, Jr. or Mike Mayock said this or that about them and maybe we've seen a highlight reel or two. To say the Bengals should have taken this guy in the fifth round or that guy in the 7th before they've even played a down of pro football is silly. We don't know how these players will pan out, so why don't we give them a chance to make the team first?
    Yep, this staff/scouting has EARNED the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft.

  4. #243
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,198

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the problem with draft analysis is that we get all wrapped up into who a team should draft because Mel Kiper, Jr. or Mike Mayock said this or that about them and maybe we've seen a highlight reel or two. To say the Bengals should have taken this guy in the fifth round or that guy in the 7th before they've even played a down of pro football is silly. We don't know how these players will pan out, so why don't we give them a chance to make the team first?
    I think this is especially true of the late round picks.
    I'd liken the first round to a person investing in his retirement fund. There should be a clear need, and the pick should have a pretty good chance at return on investment. Rounds 2-4 are like someone gambling on a sport he "knows". There's certainly a logic to follow, and there's plenty of information, but there's still enough unknown to make even the smartest gambler/drafter "wrong" nearly as often as he's right.
    Rounds 5-7 are essentially a raffle ticket.
    If there's a guy in the 7th round who you thought would be good and he ends up being good? Congratulations. But it doesn't mean you "know" more than the team's drafting. It means that this year, your # came up aces but gives no indication as to the odds you'll be right next year.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #244
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    So this guy is basically all about himself, his ego and buying into the celebrity aspect rather than the football aspect of his job?
    If he wins, does it really matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  6. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (05-13-2014)

  7. #245
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,056

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If he wins, does it really matter?
    That was not the question. And winning in College is what a lot of QB's have done with little to no success in the NFL.

  8. Likes:

    Kingspoint (05-13-2014)

  9. #246
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    We don't know how these players will pan out, so why don't we give them a chance to make the team first?
    Because we're fans. That's what fans do.

    It's why tens of millions of fans watched the draft (you probably watched it yourself or looked up who your favorite football team drafted).

    Otherwise, as you say, it doesn't matter who at all was drafted and there's absolutely no reason to even have knowledge of who was drafted, since none of them have ever played a snap in the NFL. How can anyone possibly have any iota of knowledge about anyone's potential because everyone is an absolute idiot in this world and has no idea what they are doing when it comes to judging the potential of someone who has never played a snap in the NFL?
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-13-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  10. Likes:

    Benihana (05-13-2014)

  11. #247
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,266

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    So this guy is basically all about himself, his ego and buying into the celebrity aspect rather than the football aspect of his job?
    I suspect that, unless Dalton gets hurt, he's going to be all about carrying a clipboard, assuming he makes the team.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  12. #248
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,610

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because we're fans. That's what fans do.

    It's why tens of millions of fans watched the draft (you probably watched it yourself or looked up who your favorite football team drafted).

    Otherwise, as you say, it doesn't matter who at all was drafted and there's absolutely no reason to even have knowledge of who was drafted, since none of them have ever played a snap in the NFL. How can anyone possibly have any iota of knowledge about anyone's potential because everyone is an absolute idiot in this world and has no idea what they are doing when it comes to judging the potential of someone who has never played a snap in the NFL?
    No matter what happens to these players from this day forward, it behooves the NFL fan to follow and study the draft because it familiarizes you with all the players. You may not hear about them again or you might find your team signing one in 4 yrs. If you follow the draft you'll already be somewhat familiar with him. It also can only benefit Fantasy Football participants

  13. #249
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zjr1717 View Post
    Obviously the Dennard pick was a good pick, there is little debating that.

    However, I don't like the the Hill pick in the second round. Running backs have been a dime awas dozen for a long time, this is not a recent phenomenon, unless you are getting an AP type every down guy or a really interesting gadget back (ala Bernard) it is not worth it to take a back even in the second round. It screamed panic pick to me. I do think Hill will be productive though, and I'm glad they chose him over Hyde. Hill played at a higher level of competition and I believe the statement the Bengals scouts made that Hyde had bigger holes to run though to be true. Hill also seems to do more at the second level.
    .
    I have to disagree with the dime a dozen comment. I think there is something to the notion that if your scheme is good enough and your run blocking is dominant enough most NFL backs will succeed. But very few teams are in that position. The Terrell Davis/Olandis Gary/Mike Anderson Broncos are the only one that immediately jump to mind.

    However, having more talent at the position is obviously always a good thing and the Bengals, as well as many pundits, believe they got the best player in the draft.

    There's a reason for this. Offensive and Defensive trends in the NFL are cyclical, but the advent of the two back system is one that will be permanent. Only teams with the most elite running backs (ala Adrian Peterson) will still give one guy the overwhelming majority of snaps. Almost every team has started over the last few years to split time amongst 2 or more running backs. This keeps players healthier, leaves them fresher at the end of the year, and brings more versatility to your offense.

    Thanks in part to this, NFL teams arent looking at the RB position in the draft the same way as they would have as recently as five years ago. In the 90s, Sankey, Hyde, and Hill would all have easily been first round picks. The talent is there, but because most every team isn't looking for a 300+ carry back anymore, the draft value is lessened for the entire position versus positions like OT and CB where guys play every snap.

    In summation, I think the Bengals got the best back in the draft and a guy that just a few years ago might have been a top fifteen pick. With a pick at the end of the second round, I think it was a great move.
    Last edited by OGB; 05-14-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  14. #250
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,682

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    I like the Bodine pick as the Bengals think the kid can start. He can play both Guard spots as well as Center which fits the mold they want for offensive lineman. Plus 42 reps of 225 ain't bad either. As far as AJ goes, drafting a kid with a 3rd round grade in the 5th isn't bad. At worst he is a back up QB at best he turns into a starter. Wallace Gillberry grew up with him and vouched for him today to the media. The only pick I didn't care for was Hill and that was due to his run in with the law, was hoping the Bengals were past that kind of player, but talent always trumps trouble with this team.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  15. #251
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,227

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    In regards to the Hill, Hyde debate I don't mind the pick on the surface. The way the Bengals described it I completely agree with. Hyde played in a pistol/shotgun formation with a great offensive line. Hill played in more of a pro-style format where he had to make people miss right off the bat. Hyde was a great downhill RB who rarely got stopped for negative yards. While Hyde may not be a choir boy, Hill may qualify as one of the worst character players in the draft. IIRC he was on probation and sucker punched a guy at a bar. He then was allowed to play because Les Miles put it to a vote whether they team wanted Hill to play or not. Had Miles had a backbone Hill would have been kicked off the team and likely a 7th rounder at best.

    As for McCarron he reeks of a Greg McElory pick. Huge amount of college success but major questions. I doubt he ever becomes a NFL quality starter may at best be a quality backup. As for ego or a chip on his shoulder, good for him, but that won't make him a starter overnight. Maybe he develops, maybe not, the NFL is littered with guys who had stud college careers with great teams but didn't make it in the NFL.

  16. #252
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,610

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In regards to the Hill, Hyde debate I don't mind the pick on the surface. The way the Bengals described it I completely agree with. Hyde played in a pistol/shotgun formation with a great offensive line. Hill played in more of a pro-style format where he had to make people miss right off the bat. Hyde was a great downhill RB who rarely got stopped for negative yards. While Hyde may not be a choir boy, Hill may qualify as one of the worst character players in the draft. IIRC he was on probation and sucker punched a guy at a bar. He then was allowed to play because Les Miles put it to a vote whether they team wanted Hill to play or not. Had Miles had a backbone Hill would have been kicked off the team and likely a 7th rounder at best.

    As for McCarron he reeks of a Greg McElory pick. Huge amount of college success but major questions. I doubt he ever becomes a NFL quality starter may at best be a quality backup. As for ego or a chip on his shoulder, good for him, but that won't make him a starter overnight. Maybe he develops, maybe not, the NFL is littered with guys who had stud college careers with great teams but didn't make it in the NFL.
    I pretty much agree with your analysis but I'll add a comp for Jeremy Hill: Corey Dillon.

    Although Dillon was a pain at times, I think we'd all be happy if Hill became the second coming of him.

  17. #253
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,834

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    We extended Dalton for six years, 115 million.

    I like it, tho I'm sure many don't. Will wait to see the contract details before deciding either way...

  18. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (08-04-2014)

  19. #254
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    Way too much for Dalton. Most of these $100M+ deals just don't work out... for any organization.

    Baltimore has been disheveled by Flacco's silly deal. Pittsburgh even took a little dip with Big Ben's deal.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  20. #255
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,610

    Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

    It all comes down to guaranteed money. Dalton's certainly going to be the starter for 2014-15. He ought not get guaranteed money beyond that. As long as he's the starter he deserves starter money. If he loses his starting job then they ought to be able to cut him and move on. The details are what's going to make or break this deal

  21. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (08-04-2014), Stray (08-04-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25