Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Reds beat writers

Rank the Reds beat writers

The only guys I'm familiar with are C Trent, Fay and Sheldon, correct me if Im leaving out someone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Rank the Reds beat writers

Fay is a typographical disaster machine, and you hardly will ever get new information from him.

CTrent does that thing that I don't like where he puts himself into the story. It's like he just read Hunter S. Thompson's work for the first time and had an epiphany.

Sheldon, although I've read a good amount of his work, doesn't stand out to me very much for anything. I guess that's a good thing?
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Sheldon is about as generic as a writer can be. It amazes me he gets paid for what he does.

When talking about batters he only mentions batting average and RBI. When talking about pitchers he only mentions w/l record and ERA. Yesterday he wrote a story about Stephenson and mentioned his ERA in 4 starts at Pensacola, as if that means anything.

5. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-16-2014)

If we're going to be thorough, we should throw Joe Kay into the mix. He's the AP writer who covers Cincinnati sports. Not terribly flashy. In looking for a site that might show some of his work, I found he's been here a long, long time. I came across an AP story he wrote when Buddy Bell was traded to the Reds in 1985.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sheldon is about as generic as a writer can be. It amazes me he gets paid for what he does.

When talking about batters he only mentions batting average and RBI. When talking about pitchers he only mentions w/l record and ERA. Yesterday he wrote a story about Stephenson and mentioned his ERA in 4 starts at Pensacola, as if that means anything.
    I can just about promise you he writes how he does because that's how the team/MLB wants him to write.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

8. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (01-16-2014),Billy Hamilton's Legs (01-17-2014),dougdirt (01-16-2014),marcshoe (01-16-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Does Eradi count? If so, he's #1 of the 4.

10. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (01-16-2014),BCubb2003 (01-16-2014),RedEye (01-16-2014),Roy Tucker (01-16-2014),sdwagers (01-16-2014)

does Hal McCoy still count - even though its FoxSportsOhio.Com ?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I can just about promise you he writes how he does because that's how the team/MLB wants him to write.
    That's basically true. Being paid by MLB and being an "official" news source of MLB doesn't really allow them to break news without facts. So you'll never hear straight up rumors from him unless Jocketty or Bob Miller are telling him directly. He pretty much has to be dry and straight forward with little opinion.

13. Likes:

dougdirt (01-16-2014)

Not sure, I guess I would say CTrent is the worst of them IMO, but not a fan of any of them.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Ton Swope
    Earl Lawson
    Jack Ryder
    Marc Lancaster
    Tim Sulliven
    Joe Posnanski

16. Likes:

mace (01-16-2014),Roy Tucker (01-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    If we're going to be thorough, we should throw Joe Kay into the mix. He's the AP writer who covers Cincinnati sports. Not terribly flashy. In looking for a site that might show some of his work, I found he's been here a long, long time. I came across an AP story he wrote when Buddy Bell was traded to the Reds in 1985.
    Joe Kay is very professional, and a better writer than his job allows him to be. He posts essays on facebook and, though I've known him for a very long time, I was taken aback by their range and sensitivity.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yep. They all write like that for the most part. They are writing for the masses and the masses flat out don't understand or even care much at this point for something beyond AVG/HR/RBI or W/L/ERA.

19. Likes:

I was just thinking the other day that I probably missed out on some good Reds reporting being in a house that only subscribed to the Enquirer. Someone once told me it always had better sports reporting.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ton Swope
    Earl Lawson
    Jack Ryder
    Marc Lancaster
    Tim Sulliven
    Joe Posnanski
    From up Dayton way...

Si Burick
    Ritter Collett
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

757690 (01-16-2014),Always Red (01-16-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (01-16-2014),westofyou (01-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    From up Dayton way...

Si Burick
    Ritter Collett
    When I read those names, I could see their faces in my mind. I guess I read too many Reds yearbooks, over and over, when I was a kid.

Turn Off Ads?