0 0%
  • Washington, Ty 2B-R

0 0%
  • Weiss, Zack P-R

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #15

Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #15

Chad Rogers is voted the 14th overall prospect. Let's get on with round 15.

1. Robert Stephenson 20 RHP AA 1st/2011
    2. Billy Hamilton 23 Cf-Switch AAA/September call up 2nd/2009
    3. Phillip Ervin 21 Cf-R A 1st/2013
    4. Jesse Winker 20 LF-L AA 1st Supp/2012
    5. Yorman Rodriguez 21 RF-R AA International FA/2009
    6. Michael Lorenzen 22 RHP AA 1st Supp/2013
    7. David Holmberg 22 LHP AA/3.2 IP Arizona 2nd-White Sox 2009/acquired for C Ryan Hanigan Dec 13, 2013
    8. Nick Travieso 20 RHP A 1st/2012
    9. Seth Mejias-Brean 23 3B-R A+ 8th/2012
    10. Ben Lively 22 RHP A 4th/2013
    11. Jon Moscot 22 RHP AA 4th/2012
    12. Carlos Contreras 23 RHP AA International FA/2008
    13. Tucker Barnhart 23 C-Switch AA 10th/2009
    14. Chad "Sharky" Rogers 24 RHP AAA 28th/2010
    No - I am not from State Farm!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #15

Ortiz for me.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Rahier or Corcino here for me.
    Go BLUE!!!

The one thing that is most striking (and scary) when looking at these lists and the stats for each farm team this past season is how absolutely bereft of decent MI prospects the Reds are from top to bottom.

Above A ball there's Henry Rodriguez (possibly a UT infielder) and that's it - PERIOD. Ryan Wright and Juan Perez but neither tore it up at Bakersfield. Below them? Brent Peterson, Ty Washington, Joe Terry? Meh. I think right now the only ones you could even remotely project as a starting Major League MI might be Zach Vincej (Dayton) or Avain Rachal (Billings) and their a ways off and really stretching things. I know they dealt Didi and moved Billy, to CF, but still...pretty pitiful.

With with Soto, SMB, Frankin and maybe Buckley (again stretching) the picture at the corners isn't much rosier. Is there somebody out there that I'm missing. If nothing else, be so utterly void of infield talent really hamstrings the ability to make moves both now and in the future.

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-18-2014)

Went with Corcino here. I think he stands a pretty decent chance of a sizeable bounce back and could help the big club soon. After this it's Kivel for me, then I'm real close on Ortiz and after that I'm very close on guys like Cisco, Arias, Romano, Rachal, Mahle, Thompson, Franklin, Consante, Guillon, Waldrop, Walczak and Reynoso over the next dozen picks.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-17-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Washington, Rachal and SMB I feel can be solid major leaguers. You're right,though, Rachal and Washington are along way off and SMB is only at high A. Franklin and Thompson are also decent prospects but just getting started. None of the infielders at AA and above are more than utility guys or bench bats, imo. I hope they are able to nab a high quality MI with at least one of this June's high picks. With the number of quality pitching prospects coming along, though, some kind of deal packaging a couple pitching prospects for a young MI may be in the future.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 01-17-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Washington, Rachal and SMB I feel can be solid major leaguers. You're right,though, Rachal and Washington are along way off and SMB is only at high A. Franklin and Thompson are also decent prospects but just getting started. None of the infielders at AA and above are more than utility guys or bench bats, imo. I hope they are able to nab a high quality MI with at least one of this June's high picks. With the number of quality pitching prospects coming along, though, some kind of deal packaging a couple pitching prospects for a young MI may be in the future.
    Forgot about about Thompson - I really like him. He and/or Rachal may be the best hopes for any kind of impact MI's in the entire system.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    The one thing that is most striking (and scary) when looking at these lists and the stats for each farm team this past season is how absolutely bereft of decent MI prospects the Reds are from top to bottom.

Above A ball there's Henry Rodriguez (possibly a UT infielder) and that's it - PERIOD. Ryan Wright and Juan Perez but neither tore it up at Bakersfield. Below them? Brent Peterson, Ty Washington, Joe Terry? Meh. I think right now the only ones you could even remotely project as a starting Major League MI might be Zach Vincej (Dayton) or Avain Rachal (Billings) and their a ways off and really stretching things. I know they dealt Didi and moved Billy, to CF, but still...pretty pitiful.
    Your references to Wright, Perez and especially Vincej lead me to suggest that they be added to the list next time.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Your references to Wright, Perez and especially Vincej lead me to suggest that they be added to the list next time.
    I have them on the complete list but I'll get them on the poll by the time we get to #20. LOL. Already have 45 guys and believe it or not there are like 45 not on the list yet...The 3 you mentioned, Manno, a couple of older guys like Schmidt, Diaz, F. Perez, HRod and Green, lower level guys like Uxa, Carter, Daal...I apologize if I misjudge when some of these guys should make the list without having like a poll of 60 names - I have discovered this is harder than it looks! I have enjoyed doing it, though, a lot!

12. Likes:

corkedbat (01-17-2014), mace (01-18-2014), mdccclxix (01-17-2014), VottoFan54 (01-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I mentioned them, but with the exception of Vincej I don't think the really hold up against some of the pitchers and outfielders. I wouldn't be looking at Perez or Wright until the early to mid-30's (if then). They're probably among the top five or six MI's in the system, but I'm not sure they will make the top 40 - that in and of itself is a statement of need.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-17-2014 at 10:11 PM.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ortiz for me.
    Me too. If his 2014 looks like his 2012 and 2013 seasons, he's going to vault into the top 10 next year.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Came down to the signing deadline the year he was drafted and he was still unsigned. He was the one guy remaining that I wanted most. Glad they signed him.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I went with Corcino. He has accomplished the most of the guys on the list, was seen by many wise posters as neck and neck with Cingrani prior to 2013 and is still only 23.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (01-18-2014), Old school 1983 (01-19-2014)

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'm with corkedbat. The lack of middle infield depth is alarming to say the least. I'm not usually one to condone drafting for need, but the Reds should definitely consider it this year.

Turn Off Ads?