Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three out, three in for October

Three out, three in for October

Looking at which teams will replace 2013 playoff teams in the postseason
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...eason-2014-mlb

After months of trades, signings and speculation, what's most interesting about the nearly completed offseason is how little seems to have changed. Looking at most early projections, the predicted 2014 playoff teams seem to be very similar to the 2013 teams.

But, although it seems tempting to say the same teams are going to continue to be successful, the reality is that it never, ever happens that way. Five of the 10 playoff teams from last season weren't there in 2012. Only three of 2012's clubs had been playing October baseball in 2011; just four of the 2011 teams had been there in 2010.

Someone who made it to the playoffs last year isn't going to return there this year, and, in all likelihood, there are going to be multiple someones. With camps opening across Arizona and Florida, we can take a look at the three 2013 playoff teams most likely to miss out this year, plus the three clubs with the best chances to replace them.

Three out

1. Pittsburgh Pirates
    2. Cincinnati Reds
    3. Cleveland Indians

Three in

1. Washington Nationals
    2. San Diego Padres
    3. Texas Rangers

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Three out, three in for October

This narrative is getting a little old. I think the horse has been beaten well beyond recognition.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (02-17-2014), marcshoe (02-17-2014), NebraskaRed (02-17-2014), Old school 1983 (02-17-2014), RadfordVA (02-17-2014), redsmetz (02-17-2014), RedTeamGo! (02-17-2014), wheels (02-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    This narrative is getting a little old. I think the horse has been beaten well beyond recognition.
    What the heck are you talking about?

This article is not about "Contender or Pretender", it's about the chance of making the postseason.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Wait...didn't a lot of "experts" predict Washington as NL Champs last year?

Predictions by "experts" = grain of salt. Move on, folks!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    What the heck are you talking about?

This article is not about "Contender or Pretender", it's about the chance of making the postseason.
    I'm almost as bearish about their playoff chances as anyone else, but you're becoming something of a pest with these threads.

Every few days it's "Oh look, so and so doesn't think the Reds are gonna make the playoffs, they should have signed Choo.", and anyone who disagrees is stupid and living in a dream world.

We get it. Choo is your favorite player and now he's gone. Maybe switching to the Rangers might help with whatever emotional trip you're on.
    Last edited by wheels; 02-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.

8. Likes:

junkhead (02-17-2014), RadfordVA (02-17-2014)

I'm bullish on their playoff appearance because the Reds have what is maybe the 3rd best rotation in the NL behind the Cards and Dodgers. Once June is over and the bullpens are spent on the pretenders above in the Pads and Nats then we'll see where we are. If the Reds are right there with those two teams record wise they will pull away in July and August as starters who can go 7 or 8 innings are worth their weight in gold.

Padres?

Yeah right, crappy rotation.

Perhaps Junkhead should start a threat entitled "Junkhead Copied and Pasted Posts" and just funnel everything there.

11. Likes:

wheels (02-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I'm bullish on their playoff appearance because the Reds have what is maybe the 3rd best rotation in the NL behind the Cards and Dodgers.
    You forgot Nationals.
    Strasburg, Zimmermann, Gonzalez, Fister and Detwiler.
    Last edited by junkhead; 02-17-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'm almost as bullish about their playoff chances as anyone else, but you're becoming something of a pest with these threads.

Every few days it's "Oh look, so and so doesn't think the Reds are gonna make the playoffs, they should have signed Choo.", and anyone who disagrees is stupid and living in a dream world.

We get it. Choo is your favorite player and now he's gone. Maybe switching to the Rangers might help with whatever emotional trip you're on.
    junkhead, why did you "like" this post? Are you agreeing with him? Are you now a Rangers because of Choo? Are you saying that the statement of anyone that disagrees with you is stupid? This is an odd post for someone to "like"

14. Likes:

wheels (02-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    You forgot Nationals.
    Yeah when Straughsburg breaks down in May...

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2014/...eport-starters

They have one starting pitcher who went over 200 innings last year, don't count me impressed, I think Straughs will get over 200 this year, I only have confidence in him and Fischer...

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    junkhead, why did you "like" this post? Are you agreeing with him? Are you now a Rangers because of Choo? Are you saying that the statement of anyone that disagrees with you is stupid? This is an odd post for someone to "like"
    So true.

I even changed my phrasing to "bearish" thinking I might have had it wrong.

When you're mildly skeptical, is it "bearish" or "bullish"?

Honestly do not know, I have never really understood what people mean when they say bearish and bullish. I know (think) it has something to do with the stock market, but when people start talking about the stock market I tend to enter a daze.

Honestly do not know, I have never really understood what people mean when they say bearish and bullish. I know (think) it has something to do with the stock market, but when people start talking about the stock market I tend to enter a daze.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Me too.

There's controversy over the origins, but Bullish is optimistic, Bearish is pessimistic.

My personal take is bull=charging ahead, bear=hoarding and hibernating, cautious.

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-17-2014), wheels (02-17-2014)

Turn Off Ads?