Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: You are Walt. Pick ONE of these pitchers to sign to a LTC!

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homer Bailey

30 21.28%
  • Johnny Cueto

5 3.55%
  • Mat Latos

106 75.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homer, Mat or Johnny?

Homer, Mat or Johnny?

If you are Walt and you have to pick ONE of these guys to sign to a LTC, which one do you prioritize? And why? And for how much?

Is it Homer because of his upside, his no-hitters and his playoff dominance? Or do his (supposed) attitude and dislike of GABP scare you off?

Is it Latos because of his overall resume, his (relative) youth, his makeup (or his tattoos?) Or maybe you dislike his volatility and predilection for meltdowns?

Is it Cueto because of his track record of ace-ish-ness and his work ethic? Or maybe you fear the injury bug too much?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer, Mat or Johnny?

I chose Homer because even though he had some injuries a few years ago I think he will be the most durable moving forward. I also think he handles pressure the best out of the three.

I just have a bad feeling Latos is going to throw his arm out sooner rather than later. Just a gut feeling. He also has shown a tendacy to melt down when faced with adversity.

I think Cueto's best days are behind him, and as I have said many times on here I don't trust his health moving forward.

I voted Latos, but something deep down says keep Homer.

5. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (01-16-2014),Ghosts of 1990 (02-17-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I voted Latos, but something deep down says keep Homer.
    Every time you post I look at your name and for some reason see it as "Raggedy Andy"

I'm freakin out, man.

7. Likes:

It's Latos by a mile.

I love Latos, but over the years, I still think Bailey has the most upside.
    Is it "next season" yet?

10. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (02-17-2014),marcshoe (01-16-2014),Old school 1983 (01-16-2014),SporkLover (01-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It's Latos by a mile.
    Why a mile? Please elaborate.

No pitchers to LTC ever for me. But if forced Cueto. He is the only one you might get a bargain for. Bailey or Latos and you are paying retail. Which I do not believe the Reds franchise can afford to pay retail for pitching right now. Would be more in favor of guaranteeing through arbitration and extending through a couple seasons of FA Cingrani or Stephenson if they produce this season.

I think the Latos and Bailey ships have sailed for us if we want to have a well rounded team for next 7 years.

13. Likes:

757690 (01-16-2014),PepperJack (01-16-2014)

I'm sorta like RadfordVA. Pitchers are injury prone, but what is the alternative. I say Latos because he is young and has great stuff. He can be made into a great pitcher (if he isn't already. Cueto's injury problems bother me and Homer just cannot demand the money he wants and be serious. In a perfect world, I want to keep all three, but Latos is my choice of those three.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Gotta get both Homer and Latos locked down I think. Can't choose between them. I would actively be trying to trade Cueto, though.

16. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (02-17-2014),Red in Chicago (01-17-2014)

I actually would prefer to lock up Leake the most of all the soon to be free agent starting pitchers. He's the one that I think is most likely to stay healthy and productive over a long term contract. He'd also be much cheaper than the other three.

After him I like Cueto because he's shown he can be a true #1 starter, ace of the rotation. He's been injured, but not with anything related to his right arm. Bailey's never been more than a #3, and had arm injuries before. Latos is a high energy, high effort pitcher, and those scary me long term. I so think he will turn the corner this year an d move from a #2-3 starter to a true #1, but that just means he'll be way too expensive to sign long term.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Every time you post I look at your name and for some reason see it as "Raggedy Andy"

I'm freakin out, man.
    Might want to get to the optometrist.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bailey. I think moving forward he is going to be as good as Latos is, but he won't cost as much because his track record of performance is a lesser and he is slightly older.

20. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (02-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey. I think moving forward he is going to be as good as Latos is, but he won't cost as much because his track record of performance is a lesser and he is slightly older.
    Don't you think he'll command in excess of $20M per season with his next contract? Or, are you saying that he will, but that Latos will command in excess of $25M per topping Homer's?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Don't you think he'll command in excess of $20M per season with his next contract? Or, are you saying that he will, but that Latos will command in excess of $25M per topping Homer's?
    I think that Bailey is probably going to be in that 16-19 range. Latos more. Assuming both perform as expected moving forward.

Turn Off Ads?