Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt optimistic on Bailey extension

Re: Walt optimistic on Bailey extension

I'd rather have Latos anyway. I never saw a way for the Reds to keep both Latos and Bailey, while still having money for offense. Latos, Stephenson, Cingrani and Leake has the potential to be a very good rotation in 2016.

A team like the Reds needs to build from within, while keeping a few key pieces. If they are unable to build, quite frankly, they don't deserve to win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    The Prince Fielder signing was more or less due to the loss of Victor Martinez due to his knee injury. They needed protection for Miggy. The owner (Mr. Little Ceasers) made the deal happen. I agree it was too long a contract, but it got them to the WS that year. Sorry I live in SE Michigan and follow the Tigers and Reds. I do root for both except when the Reds play the Tigers, it's my original home team The Reds that gets my cheers at that point. I grew up with the Big Red Machine and follow whatever version of it exists at the time.
    I agree with the logic of signing Fielder, there really wasn't a better choice.... the terms are whats questionable.

Illitch wants that world series before he passes so I spose he had Dombo do what he had to in order to secure the best choice.

"So Fla Red"

Waiting on the Latos and Bailey extensions continue to cost as salary escalation continues.

Unfortunately for the Reds, with a lot of wasted service time in Homer's first few years playing yo-yo with his options, it took until the back end of his arb years to get the production on the field. A nice problem, but left a short window to maximize his value (Compare that to striking gold with Wacha).

Offseason checklist remains a snoozer...
    1) Sign Latos and/or Bailey to LTC
    2) Chapman to the rotation (then trading Bailey for offense if he won't sign a LTC)
    3) Move BP to free salary in the right deal
    4) Fill holes in LF/SS

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Waiting on the Latos and Bailey extensions continue to cost as salary escalation continues.

Unfortunately for the Reds, with a lot of wasted service time in Homer's first few years playing yo-yo with his options, it took until the back end of his arb years to get the production on the field. A nice problem, but left a short window to maximize his value (Compare that to striking gold with Wacha).

Offseason checklist remains a snoozer...
    1) Sign Latos and/or Bailey to LTC
    2) Chapman to the rotation (then trading Bailey for offense if he won't sign a LTC)
    3) Move BP to free salary in the right deal
    4) Fill holes in LF/SS
    The Reds seem trapped between large-market and small-market financial strategies. They want to wait until there is very little risk to extend players, but by then they can't afford it. The time to give Bailey, Latos and/or Cueto long-term extensions was last year or the year before. And the extensions they did give (Votto, Phillips), they paid market value or above.

Maybe they will wise up when it comes to Cingrani and Stephenson.
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 02-08-2014 at 06:13 PM.

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-09-2014),CySeymour (02-08-2014),oregonred (02-09-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It's gonna be really hard for me to maintain interest in this team if they're not even going to try.

one hope I'm holding onto is that Walt is a in a holding patter waiting to see if he can sign Home long-term or not. If he does, fine. If not he takes part of what he was going to give Bailey and uses it to make a deal to add some kind of offensive help. Whether that includes dealing Bailey as well? Don't know.

Hope I'm not giving Jocketty too much credit, but I fear I am.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    one hope I'm holding onto is that Walt is a in a holding patter waiting to see if he can sign Home long-term or not. If he does, fine. If not he takes part of what he was going to give Bailey and uses it to make a deal to add some kind of offensive help. Whether that includes dealing Bailey as well? Don't know.

Hope I'm not giving Jocketty too much credit, but I fear I am.
    The holding pattern began in late December 2012. There's no reason to think it will end soon.

If Homer won't sign long term, the Reds will sign him for one year.

They will then keep him for the season if it goes well. They will trade him at the July deadline if the season doesn't go well.

Spring training trades do happen. But not usually.

And if the Reds try to trade Homer after failing to sign him, I don't think they will get the best offers. Teams will surmise the Reds are desperate to get rid of his salary for one season.

The Reds have had months and months to make deals. It's kind of late. I'm expecting Homer to sign, probably for one year, and this is your team.

In the future, I hope the Reds are more pro-active with their player moves.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Walt has spent the offseason working with Russian efficiency, and quality.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Who cares what the motivation was if the Reds were trying to deal Phillips, financial or otherwise. The bothersome thing is if they were trying to deal him and couldn't because of contract.
    I love it when people say it was because of his contract they couldn't move BP. Like they were sitting in the other room on the other phone listening in to negotiations. Did I miss where the Dodgers or Yanks came out and said...man we wanted DatDude, but that contract just sucks...maybe I missed it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's gonna be really hard for me to maintain interest in this team if they're not even going to try.
    itīs early february, pitchers havenīt thrown a pitch so far and on paper we have a pretty good ballteam (not as good as some wanted) that can make it to the postseason!

in the postseason everything is possible! in 2012 the better postseason team with the better pitching lost to the later ws champs who were not very good!

the reds have question marks and more than other teams, but I donīt see how they could have improved without destroying the future!

it was a good move to let choo walk (for that money), it was a good move to not sign some of those big name outfielders (for that money)... if they can sign some guys long term it wasnīt that bad of an offseason as reds fans think

edit: and I donīt know how many seasons you followed the reds, but compared to some years ago this team is great! how often will you see that great pitching + defence with a reds uniform? donīt know how I could lose interest in this team
    Last edited by tomnuetten; 02-08-2014 at 07:27 PM.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-09-2014)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Spring training hasn't even started and you're saying they aren't trying....

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that maybe Bailey is adamant about testing free agency? Weird to blame the GM when we have no idea what's going on. This isn't Baseball Mogul.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-08-2014),REDREAD (02-09-2014)

I think they're trying, it's just been a perfect storm of circumstances keeping them from making big deals.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I think they're trying, it's just been a perfect storm of circumstances keeping them from making big deals.
    Even if it is that , it is a storm of their own making

How anyone can still defend this front office is amazing to me.

Turn Off Ads?