Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt optimistic on Bailey extension

Re: Walt optimistic on Bailey extension

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Seven years is insane for a pitcher. Doubly so for a small-market team.
    Kershaw's contract has set the bar for contracts, Bailey is not Kershaw, he is a level below him but is still a strong 2 weak 1 in his prime, he'll get the same 5 with the last two his option just like Kershaw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I actually hope the Reds front load Honer's contract- paying him more in 2014 and 2015 then 2016-2018, so that they can still afford to extend Latos from 2016-2020.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think Walt has every intention of signing both Latos and Bailey to a LTC. That's why he's been so unusually strapped for cash this offseason.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-18-2014),cincyinco (01-18-2014),dubc47834 (01-18-2014),REDREAD (01-18-2014),reds44 (01-30-2014)

I boldly predict a 1 year deal, and Walt once again falls short.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

7. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (01-19-2014),redsfanmia (01-18-2014),toledodan (01-19-2014)

Great news. I'm ok with pitching and defense. Hang on to Votto and Bruce and hope for league average production everywhere else.

9. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (01-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think Walt has every intention of signing both Latos and Bailey to a LTC. That's why he's been so unusually strapped for cash this offseason.
    I think you may be right and sincerely hope this to be the case. If so, they're going to have to trade Leake or Cueto for a bat- either this year or next.

Otherwise, I hope he gets Matt Kemp.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Seven years is insane for a pitcher. Doubly so for a small-market team.
    I'd take Homer for 7 years before I'd take Choo for 7 years.

12. Likes:

Crumbley (01-18-2014),dubc47834 (01-18-2014),Ghosts of 1990 (01-19-2014),hebroncougar (01-18-2014),JMac84 (01-18-2014),jwertz (01-18-2014),Kingspoint (01-29-2014),reds44 (01-30-2014),Roy Tucker (01-18-2014),SirFelixCat (01-19-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-19-2014),villain612 (01-18-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-18-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-18-2014)

Homer is valuable to the Reds because of his two no-hitters. He is a draw that puts fans into the seats. Are there any other teams in baseball who can claim a pitcher who has thrown two no-hitters over the last two seasons?

The thing is, Homer is young enough and talented enough that he could toss a third no-no in the next couple of years. Nuts, the little kid in me roots for a no-hitter every time he takes the mound.

This organization has cried over a shortage of pitching pretty much since 1990. Now that they have it, the key is to keep your best and trade the rest to fill holes at other positions (SS, 3B, CF, LF). In my opinion, you lock in Bailey and Latos for the long haul, and build the rest of the staff around them.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-18-2014),Ghosts of 1990 (01-19-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-18-2014)

If the Reds can somehow keep Latos and Bailey their rotation for the next 6 years could be set with Latos, Bailey, Stephenson and Cingrani as their top 4. I assume Cueto will be gone, and once Leake starts getting costly he is probably gone. The current money they are paying Cueto and Leake (I think about 16 million in 2014) can help with the raises due Latos and Bailey.

Honestly, if you add 6 million to Bailey's salary and 10 million to Latos' salary it is probably what they will average on their next contracts. You just need Cingrani and Stephenson to be successful in their pre-arb. years for this to work.

16. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (01-19-2014)

Mechanically speaking. I'd keep Bailey and Latos over Cueto. They have a pure and repeatable motion.

Johnny is a trooper and you can't complain about his training and dedication. But his Tiant twist makes me wonder about his long term prospects.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

To be honest, I think Cueto's problem is more genetic and body type than anything. He seems to be wound tight, muscularly, and it seems to me that pulled muscles will always be a problem going forward.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't see how, financially, the Reds work a multi-year deal for both Bailey and Latos. The team is already carrying one massive contract with Votto. Picking up 2 more $15M+/y players would severely handicap the team going forward.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    This organization has cried over a shortage of pitching pretty much since 1990. Now that they have it, the key is to keep your best and trade the rest to fill holes at other positions (SS, 3B, CF, LF). In my opinion, you lock in Bailey and Latos for the long haul, and build the rest of the staff around them.
    Agreed. Frontload Bailey, backload Latos. After 2016 you don't really have any big money on the books other than Votto and maybe Bruce if you extend him. Frazier, Cozart and likely Mez all get very replaceable once they get expensive and hit free agency. Phillips, Leake, Cueto and Chapman will all likely be gone.

All the more reason we'll need the Stephensons and Ervins to pan out and become players.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I boldly predict a 1 year deal, and Walt once again falls short.
    How would that be on Walt? He doesn't have a blank check from ownership. Plus Homer had a say in it too, you realize.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Reds have been strapped for cash almost every offseason. Even in Choo deal they got cash back to make it work.

23. Likes:

mth123 (01-18-2014)

Turn Off Ads?