Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt optimistic on Bailey extension

Re: Walt optimistic on Bailey extension

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Bronson Arroyo Says He Has Yet To Receive An Offer

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 3:55pm CST]

In spite of interest from twelve clubs, free agent starter Bronson Arroyo says that he has yet to receive an actual hard offer from a club, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports. "I am a guy who's performed for the last 10 years as consistently as anybody in the game," said Arroyo. "And for some reason, nobody's thrown me an offer yet."

Approaching his age-37 season, Arroyo is represented by Terry Bross. He has posted an earned run average of less than four runs per nine innings in four of his last five seasons, and has made at least 32 starts in every season since 2005. Last year, in 202 innings, Arroyo posted a 3.79 ERA and 5.5 K/9 against 1.5 BB/9.

The pitcher's statements are somewhat surprising in light of the widespread interest he has reportedly received. The veteran's name has been amongst the most-mentioned on MLBTR, in large part due to his outstanding record of durability.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Bronson Arroyo Says He Has Yet To Receive An Offer

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 3:55pm CST]

In spite of interest from twelve clubs, free agent starter Bronson Arroyo says that he has yet to receive an actual hard offer from a club, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports. "I am a guy who's performed for the last 10 years as consistently as anybody in the game," said Arroyo. "And for some reason, nobody's thrown me an offer yet."

Approaching his age-37 season, Arroyo is represented by Terry Bross. He has posted an earned run average of less than four runs per nine innings in four of his last five seasons, and has made at least 32 starts in every season since 2005. Last year, in 202 innings, Arroyo posted a 3.79 ERA and 5.5 K/9 against 1.5 BB/9.

The pitcher's statements are somewhat surprising in light of the widespread interest he has reportedly received. The veteran's name has been amongst the most-mentioned on MLBTR, in large part due to his outstanding record of durability.
    Don't worry Bronson, you just have to wait your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't see how, financially, the Reds work a multi-year deal for both Bailey and Latos. The team is already carrying one massive contract with Votto. Picking up 2 more $15M+/y players would severely handicap the team going forward.
    They're a $110 million payroll team. Would those three eat up a lot of payroll? Yeah sure, but at the same time you're talking about an elite hitter and two potentially elite pitchers.

The Reds aren't a "small market" team right now, at least not money wise. They're in the top 3rd in baseball in payroll.
    Last edited by reds44; 01-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

When contemplating the salaries of Latos and Bailey, there's going to be money available from 2nd Base as soon as Phillips leaves the team.

The contract of Phillips has proven to have been not worth the risk as it never led to a single playoff series win so far. It might have created an atmosphere of winning among those who are here now, along with a bar set very high when it comes to playing Defense and doing whatever it takes to win (bat 1st, 2nd, 4th...hit for power, hit for average, etc.). As a player, he's been great at leading by example, but it's been a very expensive pricetag.

This team never reaches the post-season any of the last five seasons without Phillips. He's been the most steady and reliable non-pitcher on the team, with Arroyo being that person in the pitching department. Arroyo's last contract was a similar one to Phillips', meant to be a glue player that would solidify the lineup and help us get to the post-season with the hopes that he could be replaced before his contract saw it's end.

Bailey and Latos will be affordable without Phillips and Arroyo's contracts.

To get rid of Phillips, they're going to have to toss in a prospect to make up for the cost of the other team to take on his salary.

That Broxton contract falls off after this season, and that's a huge help.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2014 at 06:35 PM.

You know, if a just a few more of you locals would attend games during school nights, we could afford Homer and Matt

8. Likes:

dfs (01-31-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-30-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (01-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    You know, if a just a few more of you locals would attend games during school nights, we could afford Homer and Matt
    Just got so much going on during the week that its tough. Then it starts to get hot. And food is expensive. Oh don't forget the smell coming off the Ohio. Plus the vernal equinox, and the Chevy Equinox with all wheel drive.....just can't make it man.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

10. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (01-31-2014)

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

That Broxton contract falls off after this season, and that's a huge help.
    Everywhere that I look (Cot's and Bref), it shows Broxton's salary actually jumping from 7 million to 9 million next year.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    BP already said it.... Castellini just needs to invent a new vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post

14. Likes:

SporkLover (01-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

16. Likes:

SporkLover (01-30-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-30-2014)

18. Likes:

pahster (02-01-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (01-31-2014)

This thread is killing me. Both because it is funny and because each time I see a "bump" I think maybe there is news on a Bailey extension.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Sorry RedEye, no extension, but I was just ruminating on how wildly successful the drafting and development of Homer ended up being. It wasn't a straight line to success, but the gains were obvious as the years went by, and it is to Homer's credit, and the club's, that he has gone from a HS prospect to looking at his first long term contract being north of $100 million. That kind of development from this club of a pitching prospect has been rare indeed prior to Homer. Particularly of a HS pitcher with his pedigree.

21. Likes:

Benihana (01-31-2014), RedEye (01-30-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-30-2014)

I probably shouldn't bump this to say that today's Christian Bale's 40th birthday, then.

23. Likes:

Benihana (01-31-2014), RedEye (01-30-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (01-31-2014)

Turn Off Ads?