Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Drew Stubbs avoids arbitration with Rockies

Drew Stubbs avoids arbitration with Rockies

The Rockies avoided arbitration with Drew Stubbs by agreeing to a $4.1MM deal for 2014, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post

Not too shabby for a guy with a career OPS+ of 87 and only one single season with an OPS+ over 100.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs avoids arbitration with Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    The Rockies avoided arbitration with Drew Stubbs by agreeing to a $4.1MM deal for 2014, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post

Not too shabby for a guy with a career OPS+ of 87 and only one single season with an OPS+ over 100.
    Offense is only part of the game.

Is Stubbs projected to start in CF for the Rockies, since Fowler was traded?
    Or is Stubbs going to be a 4th Of like last year?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

That is what I was thinking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Offense is only part of the game.
    He's been an average to below-average fielder in every year but his rookie year (2009). Also, I'm quite sure that offense is the biggest part of the game to affect arbitration salaries. Or at least, I was until i saw that figure.

He's been an average to below-average fielder in every year but his rookie year (2009). Also, I'm quite sure that offense is the biggest part of the game to affect arbitration salaries. Or at least, I was until i saw that figure.
    This I have to disagree with. I cant tell you much of what he did last season, outside of simply what the defensive metrics tell me, but overall in his time with the Reds he was an excellent CF. I love using Defensive metrics, but they are far from being a perfect science.

I do agree with the overall thought of these salaries being insane. Its not just the Vottos and Canos either. I think its crazy that Heisey got a raise after what was the worst statistical performance of his career. That's how the system works though. Let your kids be baseball players.

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    This I have to disagree with. I cant tell you much of what he did last season, outside of simply what the defensive metrics tell me, but overall in his time with the Reds he was an excellent CF. I love using Defensive metrics, but they are far from being a perfect science.

I do agree with the overall thought of these salaries being insane. Its not just the Vottos and Canos either. I think its crazy that Heisey got a raise after what was the worst statistical performance of his career. That's how the system works though. Let your kids be baseball players.
    No baseball metrics are a perfect science - but they're more accurate and predictable than the "eye test"

Defensive metrics rate Stubbs as average to below average in center.

The thought of Drew Stubbs making $4 million to be bad at baseball makes me want to pull my hair out. Glad he is someone else's problem.

No baseball metrics are a perfect science - but they're more accurate and predictable than the "eye test"

Defensive metrics rate Stubbs as average to below average in center.
    Overall i agree with what you're saying, but i would argue that stubbs is an exception to the eye test vs metrics rule. Granted using the eye test I don't have much of an argument other than just saying that hes better than his numbers indicate just because he is, which is pretty weak. But hey I guess its good enough for the arbitrator.

Overall i agree with what you're saying, but i would argue that stubbs is an exception to the eye test vs metrics rule. Granted using the eye test I don't have much of an argument other than just saying that hes better than his numbers indicate just because he is, which is pretty weak. But hey I guess its good enough for the arbitrator.
    My eye test says Stubbs was terrible on balls hit in front of him. He often pulled up when the ball was two steps away and fifteen feet in the air and played them on the bounce. Many balls that should have been outs were left to fall in. Not advocating diving, but it's ok to take a step or two and catch one on the move. Seems if he didn't get to set his feet and catch it, he let it fall in. I still don't understand why. I thought he was a poor defensive CF for this reason. He was awesome gap to gap, but too many outs were left on the table IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My eye test says Stubbs was terrible on balls hit in front of him. He often pulled up when the ball was two steps away and fifteen feet in the air and played them on the bounce. Many balls that should have been outs were left to fall in. Not advocating diving, but it's ok to take a step or two and catch one on the move. Seems if he didn't get to set his feet and catch it, he let it fall in. I still don't understand why. I thought he was a poor defensive CF for this reason. He was awesome gap to gap, but too many outs were left on the table IMO.
    That's a fair assessment. He did often let balls bounce in front of him, and it certainly was aggravating at times. How many of those balls do the average CF get? That i don't know, and thats why i'm here and not out scouting.

Stubbs seemed to get great jumps on balls, and when he didn't he had the speed to make up for that. Overall i'd say he had plus range, but certainly i see the other side of the argument.

That's a fair assessment. He did often let balls bounce in front of him, and it certainly was aggravating at times. How many of those balls do the average CF get? That i don't know, and thats why i'm here and not out scouting.

Stubbs seemed to get great jumps on balls, and when he didn't he had the speed to make up for that. Overall i'd say he had plus range, but certainly i see the other side of the argument.
    That's where defensive metrics come in. They give you an idea of a guy's range and ability to save runs on balls like that.

In 2009, Stubbs saved 4 runs, while putting up a zone rating (UZR/150) of 23 in center.

Since then (DRS, UZR/150):
    2010: -1, 0.9
    2011: -4, -3.2
    2012: 2, 9.0
    2013: -3, -11.6
    Career: -2, 2.6

In MLB from 2009 to 2013 there were 16 total players who logged 4000 innings or more in CF.

Stubbs ranked 9th in FG defensive rating as seen here.

So like I said: average to slightly below average.

Stubbs also was poor around the wall, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdattilo View Post
    Stubbs also was poor around the wall, in my opinion.
    Yes, he was. He was a very good outfielder based on speed alone. However, he was also a very timid outfielder but at the walls and diving/sliding. I genuinely believe that, speed being equal, Choo would be a better CF'er than Stubbs.

-Matt

Turn Off Ads?