Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Signs Grady Sizemore

Re: Reds in advanced talks with Grady Sizemore

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So what injuries did Sizemore have?
    This is from a cbs.com story on him from when the Reds first showed interest.

Sizemore, 31, has not played since 2011 due to continued injury problems. He has had seven surgeries since 2009: left elbow (2009), sports hernia (2009), left knee (2010), another sports hernia (2011), right knee (2011), lower back (2012) and another on the right knee (2012). It's a long list.
    It's almost quicker to type which injuries/surgeries he hasn't had.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2014),Roy Tucker (01-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's not guaranteed until Opening Day. I know there's some payout for players on a major league deal that are cut at the end of spring training, but I can't find that amount.
    10% of their salary to cut them before the end of spring training on non-guaranteed ML contracts. So if the deal were worth 1.5M it would only cost 150k to cut before the season begins.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    This is from a cbs.com story on him from when the Reds first showed interest.

It's almost quicker to type which injuries/surgeries he hasn't had.

Reminds me somewhat of Junior. Sad to see a career stunted in that way.

None of those surgeries bother me except for the back surgery. That has a way of taking away your core strength and impacting other areas of the body in terms of over compensation. At the same time, its the kind of risk a team like the Reds should attempt.
    Without PEDS 32 yo is when most players begin to fall off the cliff so we are looking at a player who would be losing half his top end value even if he was completely healthy - you take 20 players and have them rated in ability from 5 WAR to .5 WAR in a continuum- 10 of them will be out the league by the time their age 33 season arrives. The ones that remain will have lost 50% of their value. I think Sizemore's upside is 2.5 -3.0 wins. Thats his natural decrease in wins even if healthy.

What the Reds are not getting if they sign Sizemore

What they might be getting

8. Likes:

Big Klu (01-20-2014),Edd Roush (01-20-2014),Number_Fourteen (01-21-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (01-20-2014),redsmetz (01-20-2014)

I'm all for taking the risk with Sizemore if they think he's healthy. As someone said it's too risky to trade Heisey until you know what Hamilton will be able to do. So he stays as a potential platoon in CF.

I don't see Hamilton as a backup shortstop. He's still going to be working on his outfield defense. You'd have to interrupt that and have him taking ground balls in the infield if they count on him as Cozart's back up. Not going to happen in my estimation.

Rodriguez can barely play 2b. He's not going to be viewed as a back up SS. I think Hannahan stays as the emergency SS. The bench will be:
    Pena (C)
    Schumaker (Cf, Lf, 2b, 3b)
    Sizemore (Lf, Cf)
    Heisey (Cf, Lf, Rf)
    Hannahan (3b, SS, 2b, 1b)

Or Hannahan will be traded for an equivalent player with ability to play SS. That's a possibility too.

10. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (01-20-2014)

Agreed. Hamilton at short is over and done with. HRod is a decent bat...not a glove and CERTAINLY not a SS glove.

Someone mentioned a SS in the minors we recently picked up. I want to say Pena? I guess he may be a possibility is Hannahan is dealt. But I think Jack stays this year.

Hopefully he can pull a "Berkman"....

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed. Hamilton at short is over and done with. HRod is a decent bat...not a glove and CERTAINLY not a SS glove.

Someone mentioned a SS in the minors we recently picked up. I want to say Pena? I guess he may be a possibility is Hannahan is dealt. But I think Jack stays this year.
    Argenis Diaz. Good glove, Izturis like bat.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Ah, that was it. But considering the money already allocated to Hannahan, I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the bench in '14.

No way I give him 2 years (unless it's a team option), but I have no problem giving him a major league deal this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ah, that was it. But considering the money already allocated to Hannahan, I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the bench in '14.
    Yeah. Other than defense once in a while Diaz really brings nothing to the table as a bench player. I like him stashed against Zack getting hurt so SS has a defensive option if Zack goes down but he really doesn't have enough bat for me to want him on the 25 man otherwise.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    No way I give him 2 years (unless it's a team option), but I have no problem giving him a major league deal this year.
    I never for the life of me will understand this logic.

If the two years are for $750k, who cares? The Reds could release someone and pay that without any worry in the world if they needed to.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

18. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-21-2014),Edd Roush (01-20-2014),HokieRed (01-21-2014),jimbo (01-21-2014),mth123 (01-20-2014),westofyou (01-20-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As for the Mark Prior comp, he hadn't pitched in the majors since 2006, effectively since 2005 and has had numerous failed comeback attempts in the interim. He's also a pitcher, of which little else needs to be said. The likelihood of Prior coming back and being healthy and effective was much smaller.
    My point was more that Prior passed a physical and he showed tools. Before getting hurt again, he was throwing a moving low 90's fastball and flashing an above-average curveball. Heck, he was even throwing strikes. He looked solid enough. Like there was a chance. But teams weren't offering him MLB deals.

Likewise, Sizemore, while successful in the Majors more recently, still hasn't actually been any good since 2008 and unlike Prior, hadn't actually played at all in 2 years. Yet teams are considering giving him an MLB deal?

I don't get it. It is a very confusing situation to me if he gets an MLB deal.

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My point was more that Prior passed a physical and he showed tools. Before getting hurt again, he was throwing a moving low 90's fastball and flashing an above-average curveball. Heck, he was even throwing strikes. He looked solid enough. Like there was a chance. But teams weren't offering him MLB deals.

Likewise, Sizemore, while successful in the Majors more recently, still hasn't actually been any good since 2008 and unlike Prior, hadn't actually played at all in 2 years. Yet teams are considering giving him an MLB deal?

I don't get it. It is a very confusing situation to me if he gets an MLB deal.
    Probably a difference due to the fact that Prior's a pitcher and the type of injury he had basically guaranteed he would never have the same arm he had pre injury.

Sizemore's injury was clearly serious too, but it might not ruin his ability to be awesome at getting on base. They are just two completely different types of players with different injuries.

The reason why one might get a major league deal, and the other didn't is based on the market. Other teams are also watching this guy, and if he appears in good health, there's a pretty decent chance this guy is going to be able to contribute to a major league roster. It's not that much of a stretch, and considering he's awesome at arguably the most important aspect that a position player can do, there is enough upside to provide incentive for teams to be the winner of the Sizemore sweepstakes. Why wouldn't a team like the Astros throw a bone to a guy like that... if he pans out they have a massive trade chip... if he doesn't, well better than giving 2M to some whatever bullpen guy. Teams like that may as well offer major league deals to get the player, which might force teams like the Reds to do so as well to stay in the market.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-21-2014)

Turn Off Ads?