Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Signs Grady Sizemore

Red Sox Signs Grady Sizemore

Ken Rosenthal
    ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources: #Reds in advanced talks with Grady Sizemore, but still possible that he will go in another direction. Other teams involved.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...00556063891456
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds in advanced talks with Grady Sizemore

Good. Make it happen Walt (on a minor league deal).

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2014),dubc47834 (01-19-2014),KittyDuran (01-19-2014),Old school 1983 (01-19-2014),Revering4Blue (01-20-2014)

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

7. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (01-19-2014),KittyDuran (01-19-2014),Old school 1983 (01-19-2014)

AFLAC

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Danny Tartabull must have been busy.

10. Likes:

DocRed (01-19-2014),Falls City Beer (01-19-2014),Krawhitham (01-19-2014),Pacman Fever (01-19-2014),Revering4Blue (01-20-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-20-2014),The Operator (01-20-2014)

Reds have had a little success getting guys who had been out of the game for awhile.

Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

Donder (01-19-2014),RedsManRick (01-19-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/425039922118938624

So apparently Walt Jocketty has said they have talked about both a minor league deal as well as a Major League deal.

I am all for a minor league deal with a ton of incentives, but giving him a Major League deal before he goes out and plays would be a bad idea. When Walts says they discussed it, I hope it means Sizemore's camp brought it up and they talked it over with them and said, yeah, um, no (but in a much nicer way).

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (01-19-2014),Tom Servo (01-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/425039922118938624

So apparently Walt Jocketty has said they have talked about both a minor league deal as well as a Major League deal.

I am all for a minor league deal with a ton of incentives, but giving him a Major League deal before he goes out and plays would be a bad idea. When Walts says they discussed it, I hope it means Sizemore's camp brought it up and they talked it over with them and said, yeah, um, no (but in a much nicer way).
    I'd have no problem giving him a non-guaranteed major league deal to get him to come to spring training. If Sizemore doesn't earn a roster spot on the opening day roster, you either cut him or try to talk him into going to the minors. The Reds wouldn't be out that much money in that case.
    If that's the difference in getting him to sign and not (and the Reds feel he's healthy), it's a small concession, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'd have no problem giving him a non-guaranteed major league deal to get him to come to spring training. If Sizemore doesn't earn a roster spot on the opening day roster, you either cut him or try to talk him into going to the minors. The Reds wouldn't be out that much money in that case.
    If that's the difference in getting him to sign and not (and the Reds feel he's healthy), it's a small concession, IMO.
    Sizemore must understand he's going to have to see some AAA time. Can't imagine he'll be immediately ready for the bigs.

Not a bad pickup, if they sign him. He's not signed yet, and if there's competition maybe he'll want a little money.

But if they do I'm sure he knows he's beginning at AAA.

Sizemore doesn't need to spend any time at Louisville. He likely would not go.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    After missing two seasons? Wouldn't he want the regular at bats for a month or two?

Surprised by your response, but I haven't followed his situation closely.

Guessing the Reds would want to go with a low base and incentives he would have to remain healthy to reach

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Are other teams lining up to give him a MLB roster spot?
    Go Gators!

Eric Davis once was declared a dead baseball player, talent is innate. Mining it is the issue

22. Likes:

KittyDuran (01-19-2014),marcshoe (01-20-2014),mrherd05 (01-22-2014),Number_Fourteen (01-19-2014),Plus Plus (01-19-2014),StillFunkyB (01-22-2014),TRF (01-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    After missing two seasons? Wouldn't he want the regular at bats for a month or two?

Surprised by your response, but I haven't followed his situation closely.
    Ego and how these deals are structured. The way these deals work, is there will be a decision at the end of spring training. He either goes northeast with Reds, gets cut loose to pursue other opportunities, or he goes home.

24. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2014)

Turn Off Ads?