University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Likes:

edabbs44 (01-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in advanced talks with Grady Sizemore

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    He is not likely to play cf is he? Lf seems most likely.
    If he passes the physical and the doc's give him the green light it would be good pick up IMO if the money's reasonable. If it wasn't for the size of Ludwick's contract, I'd love the have he and Sizemore as the top right and left-hand bats off the bench.

IF Henry Rodriguez (B)
    UT Skip Schumaker (L)
    OF Chris Heisey (R)
    OF Grady Sizemore (L)
    CA Brayan Pena (B)

HRod has more bat potential than Dusty's no-hit SS of the season for the 12th spot on the bench (and he's a switch-hitter). If Cozart needs to come out early in a game or needs an occasional day off - he's fine. If Cozart is injured and is day-to-day, bring up a defensive guy from L'Ville and send HRod down. If Cozart goes on the DL then the defensive guy comes up for him.

Hannahan? He gone.

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2014), reds1869 (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's not guaranteed until Opening Day. I know there's some payout for players on a major league deal that are cut at the end of spring training, but I can't find that amount.
    It's termination equal to the amount of 30 or 45 days (based on how soon prior to opening day they're released) of their prorated, stated contract salary.
    Last edited by Brutus; 01-20-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

redsmetz (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Hannahan has 24 ML innings at SS.
    I think Hamilton would be the backup but that's just a guess. Others around here would have a better idea of who would be more capable of filling in at SS between Billy and Hannahan but my money would be on Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hopefully he's roided up or something.

Kidding, mostly.
    You know, I'm not opposed to a talented guy that has had terrible injury issues sitting out a year and using steroids as a way to build up his body so that injuries aren't as much a risk. Seems like it would be within the rules and it's definitely legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I think Hamilton would be the backup but that's just a guess. Others around here would have a better idea of who would be more capable of filling in at SS between Billy and Hannahan but my money would be on Billy.
    So would mine. Various posters have alluded to footwork and arm strength for Hamilton as needing work if he is to play SS at ML level. I have no idea if those areas would prevent him from filling in for 12-15 starts per year.

I want to be excited by this. But, its been 5 years since he was decent, and 6 years since he was damn good.

I know the Reds have had some luck with guys like this. It just seems like a very long shot. This isn't like Ludwick who had a bad two years. It's been 5 years since he was good.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I want to be excited by this. But, its been 5 years since he was decent, and 6 years since he was damn good.

I know the Reds have had some luck with guys like this. It just seems like a very long shot. This isn't like Ludwick who had a bad two years. It's been 5 years since he was good.
    It would have been like giving Mark Prior a MLB deal last year instead of a minor league one. He passed the physical and flashed some stuff in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

Not even simply "good". It's been that long since he has been remotely healthy and played consistently. Long shot, but maybe it could work.

I assume they've put him through some serious paces if the subject of a major league contract is even getting consideration. To a degree I'm kind of rooting for the major league deal simply because it's got to mean they scouted him and loved what they saw. Sizemore getting back back to some semblance of his former self would be pretty exciting.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-20-2014), Old school 1983 (01-20-2014), Revering4Blue (01-20-2014), westofyou (01-20-2014), WildcatFan (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It would have been like giving Mark Prior a MLB deal last year instead of a minor league one. He passed the physical and flashed some stuff in the spring.
    I get the comparison but Prior hadn't pitched in the big leagues since 2006. Ryan Madson is probably a better comparison and there's a chance he'll get a big league deal. I'm not saying its a great idea but if you want the guy in the mix this year it might require taking a little more of a risk than a comfortable minor league deal. It doesn't sound like the reds are bidding against themselves on this one.

Is the potential not great enough that you'd let him get away because another team has a minimal big league deal on the table?

If we gave a sixteen year old Juan Duran two million dollars, someone explain how a paltry major league contract to a potentially healthy Grady Sizemore is a bad investment.

18. Likes:

edabbs44 (01-20-2014), Edd Roush (01-20-2014), HokieRed (01-20-2014), mth123 (01-20-2014), REDREAD (01-20-2014), TRF (01-21-2014)

I hope they get a deal done.

The risk/reward is what I like. He's not going to break the bank. If it doesn't pan out, not a big deal. If it does, he's got a lot more upside than some journeyman.

20. Likes:

Benihana (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Marty and Joe View Post
    I hope they get a deal done.

The risk/reward is what I like. He's not going to break the bank. If it doesn't pan out, not a big deal. If it does, he's got a lot more upside than some journeyman.
    Agreed. As long as they go into it with a goal if him replacing Xavier Paul and see where it goes from there, it's not a bad gamble.

Even a big league deal isn't guaranteed depending on how soon in Spring Training they would cut bait. IIRC it's 1/6th salary if he's cut in mid spring and 1/4th if he's cut at some point in late spring. After that, it becomes guaranteed. A roster spot is probably a bigger deal than the money, but Nick Christiani and Henry Rodriguez would both seem expendable. Ryan Lamarre might be as well.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If we gave a sixteen year old Juan Duran two million dollars, someone explain how a paltry major league contract to a potentially healthy Grady Sizemore is a bad investment.
    Juan Duran didn't take up a roster spot from someone else. He didn't risk losing someone else. We were competing with 20+ other teams who were also going to offer him 6 figures to sign. Juan Duran was an unknown, I get that, but we also know that Sizemore hasn't been any good for 5 years now.

Turn Off Ads?