0 0%
  • Weiss, Zack P-R

0 0%
  • Wright, Ryan 2B-OF

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #17

Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #17

Jose Ortiz is the 17th prospect on Redzone's list. 10 different prospects drew votes. I'll predict this about Ortiz - if he OPSes over .800 at Dayton and/or Bakersfield he's going to jump past everyone but the top 2 or 3 guys on this list.

1. Robert Stephenson 20 RHP
    2. Billy Hamilton 23 Cf-Switch
    3. Phillip Ervin 21 Cf-R
    4. Jesse Winker 20 LF-L
    5. Yorman Rodriguez 21 RF-R
    6. Michael Lorenzen 22 RHP
    7. David Holmberg 22 LHP
    8. Nick Travieso 20 RHP
    9. Seth Mejias-Brean 23 3B-R
    10. Ben Lively 22 RHP
    11. Jon Moscot 22 RHP
    12. Carlos Contreras 23 RHP
    13. Tucker Barnhart 23 C-Switch
    14. Chad "Sharky" Rogers 24 RHP
    15. Daniel Corcino 23 RHP
    16. Jose Ortiz 20 C-R
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #17

Waldrop. Same reasoning as last time. Solid second half. .335/.536/.871. 21 at High A.

Just as an aside to the list I want to spotlight some unusual prospects...or in most cases suspects, I guess. The Reds have some interesting guys from Slovakia, Italy and down under (3 Aussies).
    Elliott Hargreaves CF-Az (Australia-Perth Heat) Went 3 for 10 in very limited time in the AZL
    Josh Kennelly C-AZ (Australia-Melville Braves) a catcher with 2 brothers (Tim and Matt) also under contracts for the Phillies and Braves. Josh got some play in the AZL and posted a .793 OPS (very limited ABs).
    Jason Kilby, RHP for the Brisbane Bandits. Jason should arrive in Arizona this summer.
    The Reds also have Italian Davide Anselmi, a RHP for Unipol Bologna. He pitched 1.1 innings in 3 relief appearances in Arizona. I expect he'll be back in the AZL early and possibly show up in Billings.
    Lefty Jakob Izold is the first Slovakian in pro ball in the US. He pitched in Europe for Draci Brno in the European Cup last summer. He made 15 relief inning long appearances in the AZL fanning 16 but giving up 28 hits. A bit rough but obviously there is something in his arm. I discount a lot of his first summer here to being a teenager (19) in anew place. Should be interesting to follow these guys this summer and see if any of them bloom into something.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Going with Lutz. It's a proximity to the majors pick. I also like his power and speed. He could show up at 27 years old ready to start like some power prospects. We'll see. Putting off Kivel, Constante, Armstrong and Thompson until later.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sticking with Franklin. Raw, but I can dream on that bat.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Going with Lutz. It's a proximity to the majors pick. I also like his power and speed. He could show up at 27 years old ready to start like some power prospects. We'll see. Putting off Kivel, Constante, Armstrong and Thompson until later.
    I hear ya. It's really tough at this point. I also like Waldrop and Guillon, Arias clearly has the talent, and I don't think Soto should be dismissed quite yet. But for the confluence of potential and proximity, I'll take Lutz.

This is where I become a Mahle man. Great debut in the AZ league for him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Mahle looks like a clever pitcher to me with a good mix that can be refined. Good mechanics, too. I don't have a reference other than Mike Leake, who was a college pitcher and probably a better athlete/natural talent at his age than Mahle is at 19. I don't know. I like him though. He might go the way of Ramano or Cisco, but we'll see.

With Mahle, Boyles, Kivel, Armstrong, Weiss and Constante the Reds have a strong young group of arms coming along. I expect a couple to flop, of course, but I also expect at least a couple of these guys to really jump up this summer. You might throw Guillon and Garrett in that group, too.

Doug, I'm curious about one guy I don;t much about but he fanned 30 in 18 innings at Billings - Joe Mantoni.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Mahle looks like a clever pitcher to me with a good mix that can be refined. Good mechanics, too. I don't have a reference other than Mike Leake, who was a college pitcher and probably a better athlete/natural talent at his age than Mahle is at 19. I don't know. I like him though. He might go the way of Ramano or Cisco, but we'll see.
    I like the stroke on his fastball. Uses his legs well too. Some kids come in with every ounce of heat they're ever going to have. Mahle has a lithe frame, a loose arm and plenty of projectability. He's already got a good feel for pitching. Big difference between Mahle and Leake is Mahle's four inches taller, which gives him extra leverage.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Getting to the sticky part of the wicket. Up until now its pretty much been a choice between 2 or maybe three guys. Now you could make an argument for about a dozen or so different guys. It will be interesting to see how it all sorts out.

I have Lutz somewhere near Yorman, but since he's no long ROY eligible, I haven't been voting for him. Kivel for me at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This has become a 4 way race between Franklin, Arias, Kivel and Lutz. I'm going to wait either til the poll closes or a clear cut winner emerges.

This is the point at which I don't see much left...

Turn Off Ads?