Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The good, the bad, the ugly... the Cubs

The good, the bad, the ugly... the Cubs

The good:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2014/01/18/...d-one-new-alt/

Yesterday, the Chicago Cubs held their annual Fan Convention, and with the 100th Anniversary of Wrigley Field this season, they took the opportunity to unveil TEN new uniforms for the 2014 Season. OK — nine of them are throwbacks — but still an impressive showing.
    The bad (for the Reds):

https://twitter.com/TomLoxas/statuse...36944038395904

Hearing it is down to #Yankees and #Cubs for Tanaka derby.
    The ugly:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ng-reason-hope

Or as Cubs president Theo Epstein put it Friday, "We're not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes: We're a last-place team."

A last-place team with a new super-cool mascot, Theo.
    Just thought I'd bring about some fun, new information about those lovable losers!
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

2. Likes:

reds1869 (01-21-2014), RedTeamGo! (01-21-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: The good, the bad, the ugly... the Cubs

I must say, I do love those 1942 unis. I didn't know about the powder blue ones, either.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

For me, the 1969 Cubs uniform is the classic. Love the Cub patch on the sleeve. The new road uniform is better than what they have had lately, as well.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It makes sense for the Cubs to go retro to invoke past glories. Or maybe not.
    What's the 1908 uni like?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    It makes sense for the Cubs to go retro to invoke past glories. Or maybe not.
    What's the 1908 uni like?

I'm not a fan of the popover myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

I'm not a fan of the popover myself.
    Looks like the bear has been impaled by a bat.... perhaps an appropriate imagery given how the subsequent century unfolded.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

WildcatFan (01-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Looks like the bear has been impaled by a bat.... perhaps an appropriate imagery given how the subsequent century unfolded.
    He looks as though he is committing seppuku or (wait for it...)

Hari-kari!

11. Likes:

Always Red (01-22-2014), BillDoran (01-22-2014), Donder (01-21-2014), Larry Schuler (01-22-2014), NCCardfan (01-22-2014), Number_Fourteen (01-21-2014), RANDY IN INDY (01-22-2014), RedlegJake (01-22-2014), RiverRat13 (01-21-2014), Tom Servo (01-21-2014), [deleted] (01-22-2014)

This thread missed the biggest news of the Cubs offseason (I'd argue the biggest news in the NL Central this offseason).

They were able to find a loophole to break their deal with WGN. There is about a 90% chance 2014 will be the last year the Cubs air games on WGN.

They are negotiating with Fox right now for an EPIC tv deal that will change the landscape in the NL Central. Rumors are a TV deal with Fox worth $1.7m-$1.85m/game for a total of $4b to $6b over the life of it.

From David Kaplan (a Chicago writer/personality): @davidkaplanshow: Theo on how tough the @Cubs $ situation is: biggest driver of baseball financials is these massive TV deals. That will soon be in our favor.

At the Cubs convention Theo discussed how in a few years they will have the ability to compete and match teams like the Dodgers in terms of money.

Yes, we are probably only about 2 years away from having our very own Dodgers in the NL Central.

I wish the Reds would break out the throwback jerseys in mass over the season. Instead we get those super dumb looking camo uniforms.

14. Likes:

Always Red (01-22-2014), RANDY IN INDY (01-22-2014)

Turn Off Ads?