Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Matt Holiday conveniently forgives Peralta

Re: Matt Holiday conveniently forgives Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    If the cardinals offered the reds Peralta for Cozart straight up (neglecting contractual obligations) would you actually say no for the reason of him having been busted for PEDs?
    Absolutely would say no. First, I wouldn't be surprised if Cozart out performed Peralta next season. But even I thought Peralta would be an All-Star and Cozart would be as bad Kozma was last year, I'd still say no.

The reason why I want the Reds to win the World Series is so that I can be proud of them. If they win the World Series with a known PED user on the team, I wouldn't be proud of them, I'd be embarrassed.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't waste time being embarrassed for things that I have no control over myself.

Helps me sleep at night

4. Likes:

Big Klu (01-21-2014), Raisor (01-21-2014)

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Absolutely would say no. First, I wouldn't be surprised if Cozart out performed Peralta next season. But even I thought Peralta would be an All-Star and Cozart would be as bad Kozma was last year, I'd still say no.

The reason why I want the Reds to win the World Series is so that I can be proud of them. If they win the World Series with a known PED user on the team, I wouldn't be proud of them, I'd be embarrassed.
    This is noble, but would put you in the minority I think

Anyone that thinks there aren't active Reds using PEDs is fooling themselves.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

7. Likes:

Always Red (01-24-2014), BillDoran (01-22-2014), MikeThierry (01-28-2014), mth123 (01-21-2014), pahster (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Anyone that thinks there aren't active Reds using PEDs is fooling themselves.
    Like I said, I'm sure there are. But at least I know that the Reds didn't acquire them after learning that they were PED users. That's an important distinction for me.

If we later found out that Votto was using PED's I would be embarrassed as a Reds fan and consider all of their championships won with him tainted. If it was Heisey, not so much. But if the Reds acquired Heisey after learning he was a PED user, then definitely embarrassed.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I don't waste time being embarrassed for things that I have no control over myself.

Helps me sleep at night
    I sleep great at night, knowing that I'm embarrassed as Reds fan by the things that Marge Schott said, and by the moves that Dick Wagner and Dan O'Brien made.

What's with the Dan O'Brien shot? Under his time as GM the reds drafted or signed: Johnny Cueto, David Dewitt Bailey, Jay Bruce, Travis Wood, Sam LeCure and Logan Ondrusek.

For 2 and a half years that's not too bad.

O'Brien came to Cincinnati with a resume built mostly on his success as a key executive in the renaissance of the Astros farm system during the Hunsicker era. He believed in building through the draft, and refocused the Reds on scouting and development.

People at the time said he was the worst GM in Reds history. If Luhnow were to be fired now and you just looked at his major league moves maybe people would say the same thing.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 01-21-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The Cardinals annoy me as much as anyone, but really, what do you expect the guy to say? "No, I don't forgive him, I hate his guts and he's not welcome here."

I wouldn't be so quick to throw stones at the Cardinals, as there's little doubt due to the nature of the game the last few decades that more than a few of our favorite players here probably used whether we knew it or not.
    Yeah- Griffey must have been incredible naturally to keep up with who he was keeping up with.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    What's with the Dan O'Brien shot? Under his time as GM the reds drafted or signed: Johnny Cueto, David Dewitt Bailey, Jay Bruce, Travis Wood, Sam LeCure and Logan Ondrusek.

For 2 and a half years that's not too bad.

O'Brien came to Cincinnati with a resume built mostly on his success as a key executive in the renaissance of the Astros farm system during the Hunsicker era. He believed in building through the draft, and refocused the Reds on scouting and development.

People at the time said he was the worst GM in Reds history. If Luhnow were to be fired now and you just looked at his major league moves maybe people would say the same thing.
    O'Brien was incompetent managing an MLB roster. He hired some smart scouts, whoop-de-do. He extended the lost decade by a few years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I've never been either proud nor embarrassed by a team I follow. Guess I don't think watching someone else play entitles be to share in the pride of accomplishment or in the shame on embarrassing results. I may or may not enjoy what happens, but pride? I don't have that coming.
    Last edited by 919191; 01-22-2014 at 01:41 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

14. Likes:

westofyou (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Thanks for taking the bait.
    Surely you aren't openly admitting to making a baiting post.

Because if so, as a mod I'd be in dereliction of my duties not to punish you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Salukifan2

It was not intentional bait, but its not my fault that someone else can't see the obvious sarcasm in the post and then chooses to get upset over it. Clearly Cincinnatti is not as big a media market as LA, SF, or Chicago.

And clearly this is a Reds board with a lot if Ohio residents who don't like to gave their chain yanked in the name of sarcasm from Cardinals fans

I can't help it if you can't see that obvious fact

Yeah, just read this thread today. Do the Card fan RZers really think there is going to be a rational, even-tempered, and reasonable discussion on this?

When it's a target-rich cheap shot environment and the Cards, gangway. It's going to be a dogpile.

Pay attention to the open sky

19. Likes:

MikeThierry (01-28-2014), westofyou (01-22-2014)

Playoff Veteran

the real question is how he's going to explain this to Chris Carpenter's son.

21. Likes:

Big Klu (01-22-2014)

Turn Off Ads?