• Washington, Ty 2B-R

0 0%
  • Weiss, Zack P-R

0 0%
  • Wright, Ryan 2B-OF

0 0%

Thread: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #18

Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #18

Junior Arias win in a runoff, Donald Lutz was added as a "Special" and removed from the voting. On to #18.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #18

I went with Partch though I expect Franklin takes this round. Partch had moments of success in the MLB pen last year and certainly has the stuff to potentially succeed in the majors, esp if he improves his control and an off speed pitch. A guy who throws 99 and is close/at the MLB level makes the grade for me at this point.

A wise man wrote this about him last year:
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/...curtis-partch/

Partch had been solid in the minor leagues this season. Between Pensacola and Louisville he had posted a 3.30 ERA in 30 innings with 12 walks, 41 strikeouts and just one home run allowed. The walk rate was much higher in Louisville at 4.2 batters per 9 innings, but he was still missing a lot of bats with 11.2 strikeouts per 9 innings as well. He has lowered the walk rates over the previous two weeks, so he was trending in the right direction when he was called up.

Partch has always been a hard thrower, hitting 95 MPH as a starter from time to time but he really picked it up out of the bullpen when he wound up there last season. He has been sitting in the 93-97 MPH range out of the bullpen for the last year and even hit 99 earlier this year in Louisville. Last night, he filled up his scouting report perfectly as his low speed on his fastball was 93 and his top speed was 97. Last year in the 2013 Prospect Guide I wrote this about his slider:

He mixed in a slider in the 85-89 MPH range as well, though the pitch is inconsistent at times.

What does it all mean? Well, no one really knows. But I do think that Curtis Partch can help this team out of the bullpen, though even before the game last night happened I would have told you that he probably fits a lot better at this time as the first guy out of the bullpen rather than toward the back end. His fastball will play in the Majors at 93-97 with a lot of rise to it. The offspeed stuff leaves a bit to be desired and his control isn’t the best, so picking and choosing his match ups will be needed, especially early on.

At this point, I like Waldrop's power more than Franklin's. I tend to be optimistic about young guys who pile up extra-base hits. Of course, that hasn't played out terribly well in the case of Neftali Soto . . .

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    At this point, I like Waldrop's power more than Franklin's. I tend to be optimistic about young guys who pile up extra-base hits. Of course, that hasn't played out terribly well in the case of Neftali Soto . . .
    Waldrop may have upped his power. Or maybe he took advantage of the California League some. I am always weary when a guy "breaks out" in the California League. Far too many guys have done that, then gone back to who they were when they left the league. I just don't trust the place.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (01-22-2014)

I'm swerving all over here: I'll take Armstrong. Big strong athlete with a good mix of pitches. Sort of forgotten as a young 3rd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Waldrop may have upped his power. Or maybe he took advantage of the California League some. I am always weary when a guy "breaks out" in the California League. Far too many guys have done that, then gone back to who they were when they left the league. I just don't trust the place.
    I don't see his Cal League season as that much of a breakout. He hit more HRs, yes, but I'm referring to extra-base propensity. His slugging percentages the last three years (Billings, Dayton, Bakersfield) are .471, .421, .462. If the small dimensions of Bakersfield advanced his HR total, they probably suppressed his doubles output, which nevertheless reached 32.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm with you. Plus, I want to see a much better OB from him. He's BA-dependent without a particularly good hit tool.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm swerving all over here: I'll take Armstrong. Big strong athlete with a good mix of pitches. Sort of forgotten as a young 3rd rounder.
    I liked Armstrong a lot during the draft. Excited to see what he does this year. Just want to see something from him before I hop on the bandwagon.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?