Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yankees To Sign Masahiro Tanaka

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Yankees To Sign Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Tanaka gets $155M without ever playing.

Mike Trout has made just over $1M in two seasons.

Baseball is stupid and I hate how they scale pay.
    I found this , so it looks like he played. He's a free agent signing, Trout will get his day. Right now, you're comparing Sushi and General Tso's. Tanaka is not 20 years old and a draft pick. He's 25, has 7 seasons under his belt, and is now an international free agent. Do you think he would get $155 million if he was 18 and totally unproven?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tanaka gets $155M without ever playing.

Mike Trout has made just over $1M in two seasons.

Baseball is stupid and I hate how they scale pay.
    Although I agree with your sentiment towards payment, the good news for Trout is that he'll get paid on what he has done the first few years for his next contract, and when he craps out as an old guy, he'll make a lot more than he's worth.

Like Pujols basically (though I don't predict the same physical ailments).

Baseball players get paid the same way as most business professionals (much grander scale of course). Very underpaid when they are young, usually overpaid when they are older and have "experience."

4. Likes:

wlf WV (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    So, he is the 6th best at his position in baseball? I would say that is elite.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Poor Mike Trout.
    Well, it's 99% likely that things will work out for Mike Trout. I do know for a fact that his parents literally almost bankrupted themselves to help him get to where he is today. Sold the house.

There are probably a bunch of other kids who didn't get the opportunity he did.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Mike Trout makes a million bucks before 22 and guys like Mantle got their pay cut because they hit .325 instead of .345.

Pay scale is a reality that allows professional baseball to continue in towns like Cincinnati.

8. Likes:

Benihana (01-22-2014), Brutus (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Although I agree with your sentiment towards payment, the good news for Trout is that he'll get paid on what he has done the first few years for his next contract, and when he craps out as an old guy, he'll make a lot more than he's worth.

Like Pujols basically (though I don't predict the same physical ailments).

Baseball players get paid the same way as most business professionals (much grander scale of course). Very underpaid when they are young, usually overpaid when they are older and have "experience."
    Yeah, I just wish that it were scaled much differently. It seems insane to me that you can be Mike Trout and get paid less than Logan Ondrusek and it is perfectly acceptable.

Of course it's debatable, but elite IMO is top 3 at your position, like the equivalent of All-Pro in Football. At worst it's top 5. Not sure they got a guy that fits that bill, especially going forward.

To put it in perspective, Jay Bruce is a very good player. He is not elite. Joey Votto is elite.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Well, it's 99% likely that things will work out for Mike Trout. I do know for a fact that his parents literally almost bankrupted themselves to help him get to where he is today. Sold the house.

There are probably a bunch of other kids who didn't get the opportunity he did.
    Mike Trout has already made 1M playing baseball and I would imagine quite a bit on advertisement as well. The way baseball is constructed, when a team drafts a player they control him for cheap for the first 6 years of his career. If we wanted to pay every single player the market rate we could just rename baseball the NY vs. LA league.

Mike Trout will get paid. If things progress the way they are not he will become the highest paid player ever.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Mike Trout makes a million bucks before 22 and guys like Mantle got their pay cut because they hit .325 instead of .345.

Pay scale is a reality that allows professional baseball to continue in towns like Cincinnati.
    I don't have a problem with pay scale. I have a problem with payscale that pays you based on your age rather than your skill. Sports isn't like the real world where a similar pay scale makes more sense because the longer you have been around, the more responsibilities you likely have. In sports, if you are ready to play, you play. But Trout, despite being the best player on the planet to the point where it isn't even close, gets paid minimum wage. In what other profession would the best in the world at their profession be paid minimum wage for the skillset simply because they are young?

I don't have a problem with pay scale. I have a problem with payscale that pays you based on your age rather than your skill. Sports isn't like the real world where a similar pay scale makes more sense because the longer you have been around, the more responsibilities you likely have. In sports, if you are ready to play, you play. But Trout, despite being the best player on the planet to the point where it isn't even close, gets paid minimum wage. In what other profession would the best in the world at their profession be paid minimum wage for the skillset simply because they are young?
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it pay you based upon your service time and not age?

Mike Trout has already made 1M playing baseball and I would imagine quite a bit on advertisement as well. The way baseball is constructed, when a team drafts a player they control him for cheap for the first 6 years of his career. If we wanted to pay every single player the market rate we could just rename baseball the NY vs. LA league.

Mike Trout will get paid. If things progress the way they are not he will become the highest paid player ever.
    Or maybe if they paid market rate, things would even out and Joey Votto wouldn't get chump change for being elite early on and 25M later, but get 8-14M the entire time he maintained his actual production at a high level.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it pay you based upon your service time and not age?
    Exactly, service time adds to pension rewards, arb ability, etc...

Sure, but it still is the same point. Pay them based on their ability, not on their service time or anything else. Pay them for what they produce.

Sure, but it still is the same point. Pay them based on their ability, not on their service time or anything else. Pay them for what they produce.
    Then, as woy said, small market teams like the Reds would never be able to compete. The cost control of the pre-FA years is what keeps some semblance of parity in the league. Of course it could be much better with a cap, but without the cost control system of pre-FA, there would be 4-6 major league teams and everyone else (including the Reds) would be practice fodder.
    Go BLUE!!!

18. Likes:

mth123 (01-24-2014)

At least he ain't a Cub

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-22-2014), Red in Chicago (01-22-2014)

Turn Off Ads?