Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yankees To Sign Masahiro Tanaka

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Yankees To Sign Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    How would you fix it Doug?

I agree, in theory (and in practice, I could concur) it is not right that Trout provides such value to a team while getting back so little in return.

But on the flip side, in theory (and in practice) I can see the point that it is not right from a teams perspective that a high draft pick flop is paid millions of dollars in a guaranteed deal for zero or negative production.

But what is the solution?
    My solution:
    - Complete Free Agency, No Draft
    - Massive revenue sharing
    - Salary cap and floor based on % of league-wide earnings (floor enforced with fees totaling the amount unspent plus a premium that goes back in to the revenue sharing pool)

Not a chance of it happening, but I think that's the most equitable to all parties involved.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

757690 (01-22-2014), Edd Roush (01-22-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Poor Mike Trout, we should all feel for him

While the terms of Mike Trout's endorsement deals have not been made public, some sports marketers have estimated his portfolio, which includes Nike, Subway, BodyArmor SuperDrink and others, to be worth between $1.5 million and $3 million in 2013. Here are the brands associated with Trout:
    So instead of the what, 33M he would get in a fair market or so, he is getting 3.5M?

Look, I get that it seems silly to say "poor" someone when they are making that kind of money, but yeah, it is in no way fair at all given what other guys are making or what he could be making in a situation where his being born in America and being good before age 23 keeps him earning about 10% of what he would get if he were born anywhere else and were a free agent at 23.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So instead of the what, 33M he would get in a fair market or so, he is getting 3.5M?

Look, I get that it seems silly to say "poor" someone when they are making that kind of money, but yeah, it is in no way fair at all given what other guys are making or what he could be making in a situation where his being born in America and being good before age 23 keeps him earning about 10% of what he would get if he were born anywhere else and were a free agent at 23.
    "Fair" is a moving target in an open market, MLB isn't an open market until service time has been donated to a bucket, that's the deal that the players cut with the owners.

As for being concerned about the salary of guys like Trout I rank that worry right below my worry that the earth will spin off its axis

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Fair" is a moving target in an open market, MLB isn't an open market until service time has been donated to a bucket, that's the deal that the players cut with the owners.

As for being concerned about the salary of guys like Trout I rank that worry right below my worry that the earth will spin off its axis
    It isn't a deal that a lot of current players had any say on though and is incredibly similar to the payscale that has been in place for 30 years. There is something wrong with a system where one guy who hasn't played in the Majors is stuck to a minimum pay scale that can net them $1.5M combined over their first 3 years no matter how good or bad they are, but another guy can get 20+M a year because of where he was born at.

It isn't a deal that a lot of current players had any say on though and is incredibly similar to the payscale that has been in place for 30 years. There is something wrong with a system where one guy who hasn't played in the Majors is stuck to a minimum pay scale that can net them $1.5M combined over their first 3 years no matter how good or bad they are, but another guy can get 20+M a year because of where he was born at.
    I doubt if any of the current players want to upend the system.

I understand where you're coming from, Doug, but no one is stopping someone like the Angels from paying someone like Mike Trout $25-30M a year right now. They would be crazy to do it but they could do it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    My solution:
    - Salary cap and floor based on % of league-wide earnings (floor enforced with fees totaling the amount unspent plus a premium that goes back in to the revenue sharing pool)

Not a chance of it happening, but I think that's the most equitable to all parties involved.
    I agree on your final 2 points. But I think having the draft replaced by free agency would really pervert the system in that guys would look (be able to play teams against each other) for contract clauses allowing them to start at levels (AA/AAA/MLB?) that they weren't ready for. Also, the franchises in desirable locales would gain yet more of a huge advantage. (Not that they don't have an advantage already, but we are talking about immature teenagers choosing between Minny/St. Paul and South Beach.)

I don't know the answer myself.

You think Mike Trout likes a system where if he was in Japan last year and hit .380/.500/.650 and was a free agent he could sign today for $275M but because he was born in the US and has to dominate the Major Leagues he has to settle for $510,000 next year? Either he doesn't understand that or you don't. But I do and it is absolutely batcrap crazy to think that it should be acceptable.
    Don't you have to play in Japan for a certain amount of time to be posted? Like 5 or 6 years? (I can't remember).
    Trout is probably glad he's collecting MLB service time instead of being stuck in Japan.

The pre-arbitration years exist so the club can get a return on its investment. No one put a gun to Trout's head to sign the contract he signed. It probably doesn't bother him at all.. He knows he's going to get his mega payday.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    My solution:

What's the incentive to have a minor league system then?
    Is the plan to turn the college into the minor leagues, like Basketball/football?

Let's say the central fund paid for all the minor leaguers, and then if a club felt a player was ready, they could offer that player a contract.. Ok.. then what's the incentive to go to Latin America trying to find the next Johnny Cueto? Why would anyone even bother? Clubs would invest all their money into scouting ready players for the next FA period.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Don't you have to play in Japan for a certain amount of time to be posted? Like 5 or 6 years? (I can't remember).
    Trout is probably glad he's collecting MLB service time instead of being stuck in Japan.

The pre-arbitration years exist so the club can get a return on its investment. No one put a gun to Trout's head to sign the contract he signed. It probably doesn't bother him at all.. He knows he's going to get his mega payday.
    I keep hearing things about how "he will get his payday". Yes, it is very likely he will. But wasn't Mark Prior Clayton Kershaw at one point in time and then never got his payday despite being one of the elite pitchers in the game? Prior did get paid some because he signed an MLB deal out of the draft (something that isn't even available now), but he was still vastly underpaid for what he produced.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds can't compete with the type of money being thrown around between this and Kershaw.

Enjoy Latos and Bailey while they're here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Reds can't compete with the type of money being thrown around between this and Kershaw.

Bob Howsam 2.0 eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

And they'll never sign Votto! Trade all of them to Toronto while we still can
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-23-2014)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1608819

195k to lease a jet to take him from Japan to NY. If you have it, flaunt it?

Even flying private didnít spare Tanaka from winter weather woes. His trip from his Tokyo hotel to the airport reportedly took more than eight hours by car.
    Eight hours from the hotel to the airport?

but good for him to sit alone in a plane for 200 passengers => wtf is wrong with this guy

Turn Off Ads?