Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooner or later the Reds and Padres have to make a deal

Sooner or later the Reds and Padres have to make a deal

The Padres have no pitching and not a lot of it lurking in their minors. Meanwhile Will Venable and Carlos Quentin are in their 30s and will be long gone before San Diego is ready to make a charge up the standings. They also run four deep on the bench in terms of OFs. The Reds have got to have some minor league arms that can get this deal done (obviously not Robert Stephenson).

I remain morally convinced these two teams are going to work a deal before the season starts. It's screaming to be done.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-22-2014), BuckeyeRedleg (01-22-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sooner or later the Reds and Padres have to make a deal

Lost track of Venable, can he play CF? Love his overall offensive profile for what the Reds need for sure (altho his OBP is lower than I had realized...but...the career OPS is .753...that would be a nice thing to plug into the line-up).

ETA: Quick check of baseball reference says that he indeed can play CF.

Sign me up.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-22-2014 at 08:39 PM.

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-22-2014)

The return of the prodigal son.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

7. Likes:

757690 (01-23-2014), Always Red (01-23-2014), camisadelgolf (01-23-2014), RedsManRick (01-23-2014), Slyder (01-23-2014), thatcoolguy_22 (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

The return of the prodigal son.
    I don't want Felipe back.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (01-22-2014), CarolinaRedleg (01-23-2014), cincinnati chili (01-24-2014), Red Raindog (01-22-2014), Revering4Blue (01-23-2014), Slyder (01-23-2014), Tom Servo (01-22-2014), Wonderful Monds (01-22-2014)

I wouldn't even rule out a Chase Headley deal that sees us move Frazier to left.

11. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-23-2014), Benihana (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I wouldn't even rule out a Chase Headley deal that sees us move Frazier to left.
    Give them their pick of any two arms in the system other than BobSteve for Headley. Make it three if they'd add Venable.

Lorenzen and Lively can't be dealt until June anyway. So I guess that'd be something like Holmberg, Travieso and their choice of (one of) Contreras/Moscot/Rogers/Corcino for Headley and Venable? Yeah, I'd do that. May have to give 'em Yorman too.

An alternate path is trading them Leake, if they kick in some cash so we can sign Arroyo to a 2 year deal. My guess is they might be able to recoup the savings if/when Leake signs an extension with them at a hometown discount.
    Go BLUE!!!

They call me "chef"

Denorfia's untapped potential profile has diminished with actual playing time and a reality-based history. I'd pass.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

14. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (01-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Give them their pick of any two arms in the system other than BobSteve for Headley. Make it three if they'd add Venable.

Lorenzen and Lively can't be dealt until June anyway. So I guess that'd be something like Holmberg, Travieso and their choice of (one of) Contreras/Moscot/Rogers/Corcino for Headley and Venable? Yeah, I'd do that. May have to give 'em Yorman too.

An alternate path is trading them Leake, if they kick in some cash so we can sign Arroyo to a 2 year deal. My guess is they might be able to recoup the savings if/when Leake signs an extension with them at a hometown discount.
    Headley and Venable...yeah, I'd do that. If the Reds really believe in Mahle, Kivel, Armstrong, Boyle and Weiss then they'll replace the traded guys within a year or two.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Lost track of Venable, can he play CF? Love his overall offensive profile for what the Reds need for sure (altho his OBP is lower than I had realized...but...the career OPS is .753...that would be a nice thing to plug into the line-up).

ETA: Quick check of baseball reference says that he indeed can play CF.

Sign me up.
    He played 80 games at CF last year because Maybin was hurt. The conventional wisdom is that he can be a plus defender on a corner but unremarkable in center.

He had a torrid stretch in the second half of last year and may be peaking late. But he is 30, and his walk rate is dropping. We could definitely use him for the right price, but I'd rather target a guy who gets on base rather than a slugger.

Bizarre but he actually hit a lot like Jay Bruce at home in Petco last year and pretty much stunk on the road.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

17. Likes:

Ravenlord (01-24-2014)

how about dave tomlin and fred normal and kurt bevacqua for Clay Kirby

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Well, they had a pretty good pitcher, and they traded him to us for offense, an enigma wrapped in a riddle starter, and a minor league reliever. So far, they've gotten some offense out of Yonder and a drug suspension out of the deal.

Now, they need pitching.

Good job, Walt. Heck yea, deal with 'em.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Where does the OF play?

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    how about dave tomlin and fred normal and kurt bevacqua for Clay Kirby
    What, no Gene Locklear?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

22. Likes:

CySeymour (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Where does the OF play?
    In my world, CF, with Billy to AAA to keep working on his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Denorfia's untapped potential profile has diminished with actual playing time and a reality-based history. I'd pass.
    He was a 4 win player last season.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

25. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-24-2014)

Turn Off Ads?