Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds bench 2014

Reds bench 2014

Reds usually have a five man bench.

So far, I see Hannahan, Pena, Schumaker, and Heisey.

I don't think I'm missing anyone, but it's always possible.

I guess they could promote Henry Rodriguez despite his mid-.600s OPS at AAA. And he's not really a shortstop, which seems needed.

Is there another candidate?
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-22-2014 at 10:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds bench 2014

I'm not convinced Hannahan can play short. Another move has to come.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Is there another candidate?

X man

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Super darkhorse for the Reds bench: Hernan Iribarren.

As of now, he isn't invited to big league camp, but I would look for that to change. He has hit well over .300 for his minor league career. Good plate discipline with solid walk rates and strikeout rates. Not much power, but he has experience at 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF and RF all during the last two seasons at the AAA level. He also has a little bit of speed. Not a solution to play SS long term, but as a fill in on rest days?

7. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-23-2014),Gallen5862 (01-23-2014),Kc61 (01-23-2014),marcshoe (01-23-2014),redsmetz (01-23-2014),Rojo (01-23-2014),Z-Fly (01-23-2014)

ya it depends on whether they think any of Skip, Billy, or Hannahan can play SS in a pinch or start there once a month. If not, it has to be SS. If so, we could carry just about anybody else in that spot as a pure PH in the Xavier Paul role.

I highly doubt you will see Billy Hamilton at SS with the Reds. There's enough pressure on the kid without that added burden.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

As of now, he isn't invited to big league camp, but I would look for that to change. He has hit well over .300 for his minor league career. Good plate discipline with solid walk rates and strikeout rates. Not much power, but he has experience at 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF and RF all during the last two seasons at the AAA level. He also has a little bit of speed. Not a solution to play SS long term, but as a fill in on rest days?
    He hasn't played much short, but you have to wonder if the Reds have trying him out there in mind, at least in Arizona.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Here's the problem with not having a true backup SS.

Cozart needs days off. He's not going to play 162 games. Even if it's just 20 games a year, 20 games played with a 3B at SS is not something a contending team does.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Josh Rodriguez OB'ed at every level with respectable power. Had a cup-o-coffee with the Pirates in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Here's the problem with not having a true backup SS.

Cozart needs days off. He's not going to play 162 games. Even if it's just 20 games a year, 20 games played with a 3B at SS is not something a contending team does.
    Early season, there are plenty of days off. If he's healthy, Cozart shouldn't need a day off until after Memorial Day. once he does you can always bring up a no-hit guy from L'Ville. No need incluttering up the bench with a guy that's not going to contribute. Got no problem with a reserve SS that can at least contribute minimally with the bat. I have plenty of problems with Walt's typical no-hit wonders. Especially if he's thinking of compounding it with abysmal dreck like Hannahan, Brougeois, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

They need a high OBP/AVG guy to balance out Hamilton when Hamilton is on the bench.

Argenis Diaz. He is skill-wise Juan Castro at best, but he's a SS???

Turn Off Ads?