Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: And If Hamilton Isn't Ready.....

Re: And If Hamilton Isn't Ready.....

It's not just a question of Billy Hamilton being ready. There is no choice - not only does he have to be ready, but he and the entire starting eight must produce and stay healthy.

This club is a turned ankle away from Jack Hannahan or Ramon Santiago starting 20-30 games in a row or a bad knee away from Chris Heisey playing 140-150 games. There's no real help on the bench or at the top of the minors.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-08-2014 at 02:23 AM.

2. Likes:

Marc D (02-20-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    It's not just a question of Billy Hamilton being ready. There is no choice - not only does he have to be ready, but he and the entire starting eight must produce and stay healthy.

This club is a turned ankle away from Jack Hannahan starting 20-30 games in a row or a bad knee away from Chris Heisey playing 140-150 games. There's no real help on the bench or at the top of the minors.
    They need to start swapping out some of the minor league depth that they don't need for minor league depth other teams don't need. Former prospects that have stalled out, that kind of thing. Teams that can't break the bank should use their bench to try to find wild card break outs instead of collecting known (bad) quantities

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...-talent-022014

Hamilton was asked if first basemen ever ask him about his speed when he gets on first and Hamilton smiled and said, "No, because I don't stick around long enough for any conversation."

"I'm so excited because it is like a dream come true," said the 23-year-old second-round draft pick in 2009. "Coming up last September and doing what I did gave me a lot of confidence, showed me what it's like to be up here every day and motivated me to get to this level and stay here."

"We want Billy to keeps his eyes and his ears open," said Reds manager Bryan Price. "We have some great people, some great instructors. But that is who he already is. He was out here in January working on bunting theories, his approach and understanding to batting leadoff and his centerfield play.

"Billy just needs to continue to evolve because the work ethic is there and his work repetitions are there," Price said. "He is going to get better simply by being in this camp and being around all the good people we have. He just needs to let the evolution of his physical and emotional maturity take him to the next level."

Asked about working on his bunting so he can get on base more and totally disrupt the defense with his base-stealing acumen, Hamilton said, "I'm working on bunting, but I worked on my all-around game and that includes defense. My main job is to get on base and that's what will help the team the most.

"Delino DeShields taught me all the stuff he knows about bunting, about being a legitimate leadoff hitter. He was a great player and it is hard to go against anything he says being the great guy he is."

Price, though, doesn't believe too much is being thrown at him while he continues to develop his centerfield and switch-hitting skills.

"I'm not worried about that," said Price. "We are not going to ask anybody to carry too much of a load. If we are going to be the team we think we can be, we have to disperse the responsibility throughout our lineup. We can't just worry that Hamilton can handle the leadoff spot, but we have to hope to get production from the other seven guys in the lineup."

6. Likes:

REDREAD (02-20-2014)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...amilton-sponge

"Looking back, the biggest thing outside the game stuff and whatever was (manager) Buck Rogers coming to me and saying, 'Hey, kid, you're my every day second baseman. Go out there and play,'" DeShields said Thursday. "I went into that season not looking over my shoulder or worrying about mistakes. It's your job, you go out and play. I think that's the best thing we can do for Billy at this point is to give him that vote of confidence that we know he'll make mistakes and sometimes it'll get rough, but it's his job."

"He's going to get his infield hits, he's going to get his choppers, he's going to get his bunt hits -- but you can't bunt .280 or .290 in the big leagues," DeShields said. "He's going to have to swing the bat. That was my biggest part of my message to him, the bunt is a supplement, something extra we can do. We're going to have to be able to swing the bat."

"These guys taught me. I had some great guys to bounce stuff off of," DeShields said. "Billy is a sponge, much like I was, just for his aptitude of the game. You show him something one time and he's got it. I think he's going to be fine."

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-21-2014),OnBaseMachine (02-21-2014),REDREAD (02-20-2014),Tom Servo (02-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I say hit him 9th, would kinda be like batting 1st once the line-up has rolled over.
    Tony LaRussa...is that you?

Turn Off Ads?