Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: And If Hamilton Isn't Ready.....

Re: And If Hamilton Isn't Ready.....

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I'm fine with that as a plan, but I think we also need to act with the understanding that we are a borderline playoff team, not good enough to give away games and still make the playoffs and not bad enough to just worry about development of players ignoring the standings.

So with that said, the Reds need to do what's best to win games this year. Maybe the 100 games plan does that, but I want to make sure if we decide to limit him we're doing it to improve our 2014 team (by keeping him productive) and not getting him ready for 2015. Personal opinion, I think we're likely worse in 2015 than 2014 and I'm not intersted in giving away a year of the Votto/Bruce/Phillips/Cueto/Latos/Bailey/Chapman prime years to help with the development of anyone, whether the kid is the next Ichiro or he is the next WillyT.
    No, no, I'm not suggesting this for developmental purposes. I'm with you completely.

But if you expose Hamilton for 650 PAs, I think the league will figure him out, he will wear down, and his performance will likely suffer. I'd rather spot him a bit. And, then, keep him available to pinch run in key spots when he doesn't start.

This is for team purposes, to have the most effective lineup. And best case the Reds would have a very good player back up in CF and LF. (Think today's version of Michael Tucker, if such a player exists.) That's the concept.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds play Hamilton 650 PAs as a lead off hitter, I think it will not work. It's too much of a burden for a kid who hasn't yet hit much at AAA.

The Reds need to be smart with BH, play him 100 games, pinch run a bunch of times. Sit him against pitchers he can't handle. Bat him lower in the lineup if he's slumping.

If they handle him correctly it should work out ok. Hopefully he improves over the course of the season and is ready for a full load in 2015.
    Totally agree.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Step 1: Panic.

Step 2: See Step 1.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Willy Tavaras is tanned, rested and ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Willy Tavaras is tanned, rested and ready.
    Apparently Corey Patterson rekindled his relationship with Dusty's daughter

I wonder what we mean by "ready". His speed is ready. His defense is ready. And short of a being an utter disaster at the plate, they are enough to keep him above replacement level on balance.

Now, that's hardly the ideal bar to set. But considering the mediocrity of the alternatives, I see relatively little downside to letting him get major league experience. If it's June 1st and he's hitting under .200, yeah, that's not helping anybody.

But if he's merely giving us the Willy Tavares, I'd just as soon him be getting the experience and learning at the major league level. Given his lack of power, his arb values shouldn't be crazy, so I wouldn't hold him back for that reason.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-23-2014)

If he slaps the ball around the infield and bunts once a game he'll OBP .300 by speed alone. If he strikes out or flies out a lot in spring I will be a bit concerned.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Apparently Corey Patterson rekindled his relationship with Dusty's daughter
    Does Bryan Price have a daughter?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

GOODWIN,TAVERAS,PATTERSON,SAPPELT,!!!!!!!!!! NEXT
    /

GOODWIN,TAVERAS,PATTERSON,SAPPELT,!!!!!!!!!,As J

What if he is? Here is a guy that was a HS 1st round pick. He's progressed naturally through the minors with his shortest stint since rookie ball being AA (50 games)

So what if he really is ready? He's been groomed for the leadoff spot. He's had 118 games at AAA in CF. So he was learning a new position. That may have affected his hitting.

But... what if he's ready?

What if because he's ready, Brandon Phillips is now in the two hole again, the original plan for last season? What if Hamilton is so disruptive over there, that BP gets a steady diet of fastballs? And what happens when Hamilton eliminates BP's propensity for hitting into double plays by taking 2B?

What happens when Votto comes to the plate with 1 out or less and at the least a runner on 2B?

I've maintained for several years that CF was not the problem. It wasn't the problem when the Reds signed Taveras to "fix" CF. It wasn't the problem when they promoted a rushed Stubbs. It isn't the problem now.

And if Hamilton is ready, really ready, it won't be a problem for years.

Now, LF? That's a problem.

But suppose Hamilton at worst just needs to be eased in? Always leading off when he starts, but gets some breathers at the first sign of struggling to reflect and watch. That's not a bad thing.

At least he's going into this season developed properly. Unlike poor miscast Drew Stubbs.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (01-24-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I say hit him 9th, would kinda be like batting 1st once the line-up has rolled over.
    I could get behind that. I was convinced that that's what should be done with Stubbs. If Hamilton is going to put up similar numbers, I don't see why it would be a bad thing.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

2nd rounder TRF.... but yeah.

Phillips has historically hit fastballs well, but didn't in 2013 so we may not want him getting more of them. Time will tell if it was an aberration.

really? 2nd round?

coulda sworn he was a 1st rd pick. ah well.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

What happens when Votto comes to the plate with 1 out or less and at the least a runner on 2B?
    He walks. That won't change. Votto said as much.

Will we get another player hitting .330 w/ RISP after Votto in 2014? Probably not. But, Bruce's numbers, as good as they were last year, should be even better, as should Frazier, Mesoraco, and Cozart.

The Offense will be there.

Nice points all-around TRF.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.

If Hamilton isn't ready, Schumacher will get 500 AB's and leadoff I'm betting

Turn Off Ads?