Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garza to sign with Brewers for 4/52

Re: Garza to sign with Brewers for 4/52

Got to figure Arroyo is now the most-coveted cookie in the bakeshop window. I'll be mildly surprised if he doesn't get signed before the weekend. No idea how Santana and Jiminez will shake out. MLB really needs to fix this system.

I'd like to see them go back to type A, B and C free agents, with sandwich picks for losing someone from the first two categories and without the need to make them a qualifying or arbitration offer. I'd add in that no one would lose a draft pick for signing a free agent. The current system isn't punishing the Yankees. They buy what they want. It drives mid-tier contenders out of the free agent market. The Brewers just showed they're willing to spend money to improve themselves under the right circumstances.

I suspect there's a whole pile of would-be suitors who would love to get in after Stephen Drew, Nelson Cruz and Kendrys Morales, but they don't want to get punished for trying to improve their teams.

Just gives teams some compensation for losing a quality player and don't make them suffer on the drafting/development end for trying to make their teams better. Basically, make it a freer market.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Likes:

dougdirt (01-23-2014), JMac84 (01-24-2014), nmculbreth (01-26-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Got to figure Arroyo is now the most-coveted cookie in the bakeshop window. I'll be mildly surprised if he doesn't get signed before the weekend. No idea how Santana and Jiminez will shake out. MLB really needs to fix this system.

I'd like to see them go back to type A, B and C free agents, with sandwich picks for losing someone from the first two categories and without the need to make them a qualifying or arbitration offer. I'd add in that no one would lose a draft pick for signing a free agent. The current system isn't punishing the Yankees. They buy what they want. It drives mid-tier contenders out of the free agent market. The Brewers just showed they're willing to spend money to improve themselves under the right circumstances.

I suspect there's a whole pile of would-be suitors who would love to get in after Stephen Drew, Nelson Cruz and Kendrys Morales, but they don't want to get punished for trying to improve their teams.

Just gives teams some compensation for losing a quality player and don't make them suffer on the drafting/development end for trying to make their teams better. Basically, make it a freer market.
    I've got to think that the owners aren't too upset with this system, since guys like Garza, and Bourn and Lohse last year, fall through the cracks after the top guys sign and they are scooped up for 75 cents on a dollar.

Of course, looking at how some of these PED suspensions have went down, some without nary a failed test, but just a connection to a slimy guy, the union has zero power right now, and believe you me, that's how the league wants it. Anything that gives players any leverage isn't going to fly.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 10/17/14. I promise.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Or at the very least mandate that the qualifying offer be multi-year (minimum of 3 years?) so it is something that the player would at least consider.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I wonder if Brewer fans are saying that the Reds' rotation is a mirage, that it's got an ace with recurring injuries, a kid with back problems, and another ace who just had surgery.

The Cubs haven't done much, but otherwise I take all the other teams in the division quite seriously. Wish Garza had gone to a different division.
    I was drunk and high on crack when I posted. I don't take anything seriously, but especially not division rivals. gO reDZ!
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I've got to think that the owners aren't too upset with this system, since guys like Garza, and Bourn and Lohse last year, fall through the cracks after the top guys sign and they are scooped up for 75 cents on a dollar.

Of course, looking at how some of these PED suspensions have went down, some without nary a failed test, but just a connection to a slimy guy, the union has zero power right now, and believe you me, that's how the league wants it. Anything that gives players any leverage isn't going to fly.
    The owners are handcuffing themselves. You think the Reds might be interested in Nelson Cruz if it weren't for the draft pick compensation? I suspect they would be. Yet even if they could get Cruz for the cost and contract length they desired, they're not going to do it. So the Yankees, Rangers and Mariners gobbled up the players at the top of the market and teams with less money won't even dare to go after that second tier.

I fail to see how that equates to the owners having power. Looks to me like smaller market teams are increasingly frozen out. Garza didn't sign at a discount. Dude just got a $2.75M raise despite coming off two injury-shortened, merely o.k. seasons. I think he can be a solid #3 starter for the Brewers if he stays healthy, but he didn't come cheap.

If some middle of the pack team thinks it can pounce on Santana, Jiminez, Drew, Cruz or Morales for a discount, it still has to take a hit in the draft to do it. If you're the Padres or the Orioles, that's a bit too much of a Faustian bargain. The Twins just spent $74M on third- and fourth-tier arms rather than spend that money on better pitchers. On the flipside, the Reds are about to lose one of the top pitchers in the franchise's modern history for no compensation whatsoever.

So if I'm an owner, I'd be asking, "Exactly why am I doing this to myself?"
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Garza Lohse Gallardo Estrada is certainly not a bad top 4. Tell me again about how we should be ignoring the Brewers?
    Especially after watching how the Greinke acquisition panned out.

The fact that this contract sounds reasonable to me tells me this is a huge bargain in this market. And the Brewers are intriguing enough to scare me. Couple Braun and a healthy Ramirez with some of those young bats and they could do some damage.

11. Likes:

Crumbley (01-23-2014), mth123 (01-24-2014)

Sounds like it isn't a done deal.

Stat geek...and proud

Cruz is not the best example, given that he isn't very good. He overrated his own value.

But the real reason for this post is that the deal is not yet official. They had to announce that they had NOT signed Garza. Rare that a statement comes out saying that you didn't make a move. It's probably imminent anyway, but maybe there has been a snag?
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 10/17/14. I promise.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    What Arroyo negotiations?

I meant the negotiations that Arroyo might be having with teams -- not the Reds in specific.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Because they had three of those guys last year and it didn't do them any good? I don't know that Milwaukee should be 'ignored' but they have been underachievers for the past two seasons and there's no real reason to give them the benefit of the doubt for 2014 until they show something.
    The rotation was their only shining beacon last year. Bull pen seemed to implode often, and there was a real lack of run support.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    The rotation was their only shining beacon last year. Bull pen seemed to implode often, and there was a real lack of run support.
    Their starters were 11th in the NL last year with an ERA of 4.20.

Their bullpen was 3rd, at 3.19.

Their runs scored was 8th.

17. Likes:

JMac84 (01-24-2014), M2 (01-23-2014), RadfordVA (01-24-2014), Tom Servo (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Their starters were 11th in the NL last year with an ERA of 4.20.

Their bullpen was 3rd, at 3.19.

Their runs scored was 8th.

Come on man! Get out of here, with your facts....
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

19. Likes:

dougdirt (01-23-2014), JMac84 (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    How does this affect the Bailey/Latos extensions or the Arroyo negotiations -- if at all?
    A question I've been wondering about. I think this deal may benefit the Reds in those negotiations. It would make something under $100 Million seem possible.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A question I've been wondering about. I think this deal may benefit the Reds in those negotiations. It would make something under $100 Million seem possible.

Right. Seems to me that Garza is at least somewhat comparable to Bailey, if not Latos.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Turn Off Ads?