Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Season

2014 Season

I am very disappointed the Reds' did not get Sizemore. Hopefully Hamilton will be ready to start the season, but I can see Schumaker getting the majority of the playing time there if he isn't. We just have basically no depth in the outfield until other prospects are ready in the future...and no money to spend.

This could be a very frustrating season as the Cards and Rats have better teams and much better farm systems moving forward. Also, the Cardinals will have a ton of money to spend. Our window is closing very quickly...if it isn't already closed.

My prediction for NL Central 2014:

1st - Cards
    2nd - Pirates
    3rd - Reds and missing out on playoffs
    Last edited by PeteRoseDay; 01-23-2014 at 02:18 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2014 Season

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    I am very disappointed the Reds' did not get Sizemore. Hopefully Hamilton will be ready to start the season, but I can see Schumaker getting the majority of the playing time there if he isn't. We just have basically no depth in the outfield until other prospects are ready in the future...and no money to spend.

This could be a very frustrating season as the Cards and Rats have better teams and much better farm systems moving forward. Also, the Cardinals will have a ton of money to spend. Our window is closing very quickly...if it isn't already closed.

1st - Cards
    2nd - Pirates
    I would swap us with the Pirates. I'm not saying they're bad and we're better, but I do believe we will win the season series to put us ahead.

That's fair. I wouldn't be surprised either way honestly. I guess the thing that bums me out the most is that their farm systems and young players are ranked much higher.

Put me down for a 2nd place finish behind the Cards and a wild card birth.

I'm a lot more optimistic than most are about this season. My reason for that is first and foremost the starting pitching. No glaring weakness, should have more depth this year, and hopefully better luck health wise. My second reason for optimism is some of the bad play last year. You look at LF, C, 3B, SS, 2B. All of those positions I see a lot of room for improvement. If Ludwick can be 80% of what he was two years ago that would be better off than the Heisey/Robinson/Paul trio a year ago. Offensively we got zero production out of Hanigan. Say what you want about his defense, the guy had an OPS under .600. Even if mesoraco gives you the same slash line as a year ago him and Pena would more productive. Then we have 3B. Maybe 2013 was more of the Todd Frazier that we should expect than the 2012 version, and thats ok. He was about league average a year ago, and in theory entering his age 28 season should improve slightly. SS i would make a similar argument. Bad year with the bat last season, but 3rd full year, in his prime age history tells us he could improve his numbers. 2B is the position that worries me the most over last year. Can BP play a full season healthy? if so he can be really good, and have a comeback year. If not we could see the regression continue. Odds are we dont see improvement out of all these positions, but i do see a good chance we see better numbers out of the majority of them.

That's what scares me. There are so many ifs.

I think one position that worries me more than 2B is CF. Losing Choo's OBP is really going to hurt this team with no sure thing in CF to start the season.

That's what scares me. There are so many ifs.

I think one position that worries me more than 2B is CF. Losing Choo's OBP is really going to hurt this team with no sure thing in CF to start the season.
    And your thinking is certainly justified. Phillips is my biggest concern. I could see him going either way. Then from an OBP stand point your doing a total 180 going from choo to hamilton. My hope for Hamilton is he isnt a total trainwreck. Give me a .315OBP and he could be a lot more productive than your typical .315obp hitter. But once again that is yet another if.

I think he is capable of putting up a .315 OBP, but I'm not sure when. He may need another half to full season in AAA as he struggled mightily there.

That's fair. I wouldn't be surprised either way honestly. I guess the thing that bums me out the most is that their farm systems and young players are ranked much higher.
    Well, let's see how much of their young talent the Pirates end up keeping.

Don't know what the Reds are thinking at this point.

They had a team a couple of years ago that looked , during the regular season, that it would run deep into the playoffs. The team had a couple of "holes" that were exposed in the playoffs. They then added a couple of key players last year hoping for a deep run. But the Reds proved they had a few more holes to fill than they thought.

I am not sure what they are doing now. They know they do not have a team that can win the National league much less their division. They are going to have to make some big moves to become contenders.

Can't say I am feeling too confident overall, but anything can happen on the field. Lots of "ifs" that could go either way; pitching, catching, 2nd, 3rd, ss, lf, cf all are technically question marks at this point. Pitching could be really good if healthy, but still concerned about Cueto, and how Congrani continues to develop, and depth after them if not. CF, C, ss and 3rd all need to take another step forward as a young player developing and show more consistency. BPhil is one of my favs, but have to see how he comes back from injury and fighting the ticking clock, as well as having so many against him this offseason and his place on the team. LF, what will Ludwick bring. Many of these questions are the same ones we have had the last few years (C, SS, 3rd CF, LF), and no answers have come forward yet, which is concerning to me.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Things can still change, but if the season started today, I'd say 87 wins, 2nd place and no post season. LA, STL and WAS win the divisions and ATL and AZ play the wild card game.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

1st - Cards
    2nd - Pirates
    What leads you to believe given the talent they have lost the Priates will be that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    What leads you to believe given the talent they have lost the Priates will be that good?

To start with, the talent that they lost wasn't what got them in the playoffs (Byrd, Morneau+Jones)... it helped, certainly, but Starting Pitching performance and largely the bullpen is why they won more than 90 games.

From those two, they lose AJ Burnett (most likely) and gain Edinson Volquez. I'd say that's largely a wash, depending on the health of Volquez. Many cast doubts on whether their pen can repeat the "otherworldly" performance from 2013. Count me as one of those - but it has the same pieces in place to do so, given health.

The Pirates three biggest question marks are First Base, whether or not the pen can repeat their performance from 2013, and which Liriano they'll get in 2014 (given his history of inconsistency).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Good point. Keeping up with the Cards could be tough for the Reds, but I don't worry about the Pirates though. I like the Reds this year because I see several positions where I see room for improvement. With the Pirates I see the exact opposite. They lost major pieces and had a pitching staff that over performed. Especially if Burnett opts for retirement, they could be in trouble. I see Liriano having another good year, but what are the odds of being as dominant as a year ago? Garrett Cole should be a very solid #2 but after than is very questionable. Is Wandy healthy? Now in his mid 30s coming off injury should we expect a decline? After that they have to choose between Morton, Volquez, and Locke. Could do worse, but I like the Reds rotation a lot more. Then there big strength was the bullpen. Not saying it won't be a good one yet again, but history does suggest its hard for a dominant pen to be consistent from one year to the next.

Turn Off Ads?