Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Package Cueto, Hamilton, Winker 4 CF?

Package Cueto, Hamilton, Winker 4 CF?

Would you guys put together a deal with Cueto, Hamilton, and Winker 4 a legit CF, leadoff protect for a few years....if so who would listen to that 3some coming back?

I'm of the opinion Cuetos best days could be behind him, at least for us and the current contract, Billy is going to fizzle out, and Winker is the guy that will probably get the other teams attention as the guy coming back to replace who they send our way.

Would the Tigers be on board with sending Austin Jackson 4 that?

If we pulled off a trade with Cueto, I'd sign Arroyo to 2 years, then have him in case Bailey leaves next year, and slide Stephenson in for 2015.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Package Cueto, Hamilton, Winker 4 CF?

Interesting scenario. I wouldn't rule out a deal like that, but its going to be hard to find a team that's high on both Cueto and Hamilton. Both have question marks, and trade value has never been lower than it is now. Winker is a solid prospect that i'm sure most teams would welcome in a deal.

My guess for the Tigers is they would rather take a shot at an FA pitcher, possibly Arroyo. Then keep the established player in Jackson instead of taking a gamble on Hamilton.

Hamilton's abilities are so unique and a dynamic the Reds haven't seen in a long time, I'd just as soon hold on to him and see what he can do in a Reds uniform.

As the saying goes, "you can't teach speed".

5. Likes:

Dwarftree (01-27-2014),marcshoe (01-24-2014),Stingray (01-29-2014)

Give up a #1 starter, the #1 prospect in your organization, and another guy for a CF? Can Herschel Walker play CF?

7. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-24-2014),Driver62 (01-24-2014),Drugs Delaney (01-24-2014),JayBruceFan (01-23-2014),JMac84 (01-23-2014),joshua (01-25-2014),marcshoe (01-24-2014),Old school 1983 (01-23-2014),RedlegJake (01-23-2014),Stingray (01-29-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-23-2014)

Austin Jackson is good but not Hamilton/Winker/Cueto good. Not even close.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

joshua (01-25-2014),Ohioballplayer (01-23-2014),Old school 1983 (01-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Every organization over-values their prospects, for sure. The Reds would expect a windfall return for that package. Like... Carlos Gomez-esque.

Why not see what we have before we try to get something else?

Everyone values prospects differently, but since I wouldn't trade Cueto for AJackson, I don't think it matters.

I can't think of a CF right now who merits that sort of return. Maybe a healthy, cheaper Matt Kemp. But he's neither healthy nor cheap right now. Can you think of any others?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I can't think of a CF right now who merits that sort of return. Maybe a healthy, cheaper Matt Kemp. But he's neither healthy nor cheap right now. Can you think of any others?
    If it weren't in division, Carlos Gomez might be worth 2 of the 3, but not all 3.

You couldn't get McCutchen or Trout for that package.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I doubt Austin Jackson would be traded, but maybe a Nick Markakis or Gerardo Parra.

Markakis could play LF and wouldn't be bad value for Cueto, with both teams selling low.

Parra could play CF and could likely be a decent top of the order hitting with two years of control left. Parra could come for Winker alone.

With that particular package, you have to look to guys like Dominic Brown for a good, young return. Brown and Revere from the Phillies for Ludwick, Hamilton, and Cueto might be fair with Winker off-setting things.

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    If it weren't in division, Carlos Gomez might be worth 2 of the 3, but not all 3.

This.

I would even take an elite corner OF and move Bruce over for that package, but you can't get an elite OF for that package. The second tier guys it might be a bit much to give up, I'm not sure. Bottom line is Cueto and Hamilton have more value to the Reds than they do on the trade market.

Well, I keep hearing that #1 SP of ours trade value is at its lowest, which it probably is. And Billy may be our #1 prospect to some of you guys, but mine is Mr Ervin, with Winker behind him, at least from the offense stand point, excluding pitchers. I agree that the Reds value those guys more than the rest of the league.

I'd say Cueto is a #3 at best on the market, and they would view Hamilton as back to AAA and see how it goes, along with Winker to AA/AAA. So it would be a team needing a middle of the rotation SP, and a CF and LF both needing another year to challenge 1 or both current MLB guys either about to hit free agency, struggling, both, or plug into spot they send us the guy for.

Going through all the teams, its tough to pin point a CF guy worth that package, that the other team would probably at least listen.

19. Likes:

joshua (01-25-2014)

Personally, I would trade any pitcher on the roster before Cueto. His injury issues last season weren't arm related, so I expect him to be healthy. When healthy, I think he's one of the best in the NL, and easily the best SP on the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post

Yeah, I was assuming McCutchen and Trout would be off the table.

Gomez is an interesting thought -- but that seems like an overpay to me.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?