Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Season

Re: 2014 Season

Good points, and I just feel some of that minor league talent in Pittsburgh will graduate and help the big league club this year.

The Cardinals undoubtedly have the best major league team and still have a ton of talent in their farm. Accompany that with the most money to spend out of these 3 teams. And I remember reading that they have had a hideous TV contract with FOX that expires in 2017. They will see even more revenue after that.

The Reds really need to restock the farm, or we are in serious trouble.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The farm IS stocked. The only way you can re-stock the upper levels is wait for the lower level guys to advance. From Stephenson and Ervin to kids like Boyles, Mahle and Constante, there is a lot of solid talent in the lower levels. Trades and promotions stripped the upper levels. The end of 2014 you'll feel much, much better about the farm. Of course, that still leaves us with 2014 but not much to do about that but wait. In fact AZL, Rookie league and A-A+ look about as talent rich as I've ever seen them.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-25-2014)

I'm just incredibly jealous of the Cardinals farm prior to 2013 before all of the callups. Taveras, Miller, Wacha, Martinez, and Wong were all top 100 prospects. That doesn't even include other studs they have like Siegrist and Adams. Taveras hasn't even been called up yet and he was ranked as the #1 prospect in all of baseball at one point (still in top 5). I like Stephenson a lot and hope Hamilton pans out as he had a pretty awful OBP in AAA last year, but it saddens me to see a team like the Cards get players like this constantly.

I hate to say it, but they have the best run organization in all of baseball considering they aren't a big market/payroll team.

If the Reds' starting pitching staff stays healthy, we'll be in the hunt all year and will win 90+ games. Cueto-Bailey-Latos-Leake-Cingrani is a great rotation if those guys can all stay healthy.

We also need Votto to keep his on-base percentage where it's at, while regaining some of his power. I love that he takes a lot of walks. The problem last year is he hit several warning-track balls that might have been HRs in previous years. It was obvious to me he lost some power after his knee injury in 2012. Hopefully that is now a thing of the past a full 1.5 years removed.

this game is still a contender and can win against anyone!

the rotation is great (if healthy), the bullpen (if healthy) is great, the defence should be better than last year (great) and there are of course issue´s on the offence but with the return of some injured guys, more experience, a new manager and some young guys they should be able to do some damage

like every team that won the ws they need "luck" during the season! they need to stay healthy (which they did not last year) and be "hot" at the right time (which they were not last year)

disappointed about the reds offseason? a bit, but if you look how much you had to overpay to get a little bit of improvement I think they did the right thing...

What i am really interested in is seeing how/if the plate approach will change under new hitting coach Don Long.

Apart from that i still think we have a team that can contend. Sure, we will miss Choo´s production. But on the other hand who knows if Hamilton will be a bust (as suggested in various posts here)? Lets just wait and see. Will the season be easy? Heck no. But i am quite confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    If the Reds' starting pitching staff stays healthy, we'll be in the hunt all year and will win 90+ games. Cueto-Bailey-Latos-Leake-Cingrani is a great rotation if those guys can all stay healthy.

We also need Votto to keep his on-base percentage where it's at, while regaining some of his power. I love that he takes a lot of walks. The problem last year is he hit several warning-track balls that might have been HRs in previous years. It was obvious to me he lost some power after his knee injury in 2012. Hopefully that is now a thing of the past a full 1.5 years removed.
    No doubt. We have a top 5 rotation in ALL the majors

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    No doubt. We have a top 5 rotation in ALL the majors
    Just curious - who are the other 4 in this top 5?

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    Just curious - who are the other 4 in this top 5?
    I assume he is talking about pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotly View Post
    I assume he is talking about pitching.
    Well, rotation and pitching are pretty synonymous.

He said the Reds' rotation is in the top 5 in the majors.

I'm curious of the other 4 teams that fall into that top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    Well, rotation and pitching are pretty synonymous.

He said the Reds' rotation is in the top 5 in the majors.

I'm curious of the other 4 teams that fall into that top 5.

I would guess Tigers, Dodgers, Nats and Cards. The first 2 certainly top 5 the next 2 you could make arguments against.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarftree View Post
    What i am really interested in is seeing how/if the plate approach will change under new hitting coach Don Long.

Apart from that i still think we have a team that can contend. Sure, we will miss Choo´s production. But on the other hand who knows if Hamilton will be a bust (as suggested in various posts here)? Lets just wait and see. Will the season be easy? Heck no. But i am quite confident.
    Very true. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if the Brewers hang on the 1st half of the season with their staff. Then again, Reds, Rats, and Cards still have better all around teams. This division could be very, very tough if a few of the Cubs' prospects actually pan out in the next couple years.

Let's just hope all of these if's the Reds have come true. But as history shows us, many of them will not.

Turn Off Ads?