Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SI predicts Reds will finish 4th in the division

They call me "chef"

Re: SI predicts Reds will finish 4th in the division

My dream would be for the Reds to make the World Series and for Zack Cozart to hit 2-3 pivotal home runs so that ESPN could tout Cozart as a perennial MVP candidate and the best short stop in baseball for the next 8-12 months.

2. Likes:

CySeymour (01-24-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (01-24-2014),reds1869 (01-24-2014),Roy Tucker (01-24-2014),Tom Servo (01-24-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why is it ridiculous for a team that lost it's 2nd best player to drop from third to fourth? The Reds got worse and the Brewers got better.

I do not necessarily think it will happen, but I will not be surprised if it does.
    Ok, first things first. The Reds did not get worse. They got worse at ONE position.

CF, Lose Choo, and replace him with Hamilton. Obvious downgrade on offense, maybe an upgrade on defense.

LF, Gained Ludwick back to replace the dismal LF platoon we had last year. Upgrade on Offense.

SP, Lose Arroyo, but gain a (hopefully) healthy Cueto, BIG upgrade there.

RP,hopefully get back Marshall and Broxton which could be huge upgrades for the bullpen.

Overall, barring injury I think the Reds will be better next year than last. Losing Choo at the top of the lineup does hurt, but getting incrementally better at other places help make up for that. Everyone is upset over the lackluster offseason, but the Reds are still stacked and will be a force to contend with in the NL Central.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

5. Likes:

JMac84 (01-24-2014),PuffyPig (01-24-2014),REDREAD (01-24-2014),reds1869 (01-24-2014),remdog (01-24-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    They can also get ESPN cred by making it to a World Series.
    Which they don't get to broadcast!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If memory serves me this same guy predicted the Reds would win the World Series in 2013.
    I have no memory of that, was he the one guy who didn't predict a Nats-Jays World Series?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I can see the Reds being 2nd in the division. I'm not sold on Pittsburgh of last year to be honest.

That said I don't see them doing damage in the playoffs unless they upgrade their order (preferably at SS or LF). Not sold on Heisey/Ludwick/Cozart at all.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Who cares what some guy from Duck Dynasty thinks?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    We wont finish 4th
    Nah, the Cubs aren't ready to overtake us yet.

Seriously though, if reasonably healthy, they should stay above the Cubs and Brewers and probably the Bucs. As is though, I have my doubts about them being able to overtake the Cards. If so, then they're in the Wildcard game at best which puts them in a vulnerable sot if their opponent can run out a top lefty. The wildcard is not what I want to see from this club and for more than that they'll need to upgrade at least one starting spot and the bench at the very least.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully Billy takes the league by storm and obp's .330+ and at least two from among Ludwick, Frazier, Cozart and Mesaraco put up very strong seasons. As for now though, the wildcard is the ceiling for this team.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-24-2014 at 11:37 AM.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Who cares what some guy from Duck Dynasty thinks?
    He compared valuing walks to bestiality and claims Reds fans were happier during the lost decade.

13. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-24-2014),Crumbley (01-24-2014),pahster (01-24-2014),Rojo (01-24-2014),Tom Servo (01-24-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    (Brandon Phillips' 103 RBIs last year were deceiving in light of his poor .706 OPS.)
    Woah careful. Hope that SI writer isn't overweight, otherwise datdudeBP might have some Dusty Approved choice words for him.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

ridiculous that is crazy the reds acquired pena and schumaker that should make an epic difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    ridiculous that is crazy the reds acquired pena and schumaker that should make an epic difference!!

17. Likes:

reds44 (01-24-2014),RedTeamGo! (01-24-2014)

He also predicts this - The Padres will return to the postseason for the first time since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I have no memory of that, was he the one guy who didn't predict a Nats-Jays World Series?
    Check - it was Joe Sheehan in 2012. Similar looking article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?mobile=no

4th is a worst case. Anywhere 1-4 won't shock me.

If they do finish last (below the Cubs ), I may consider a RZ hiatus. This won't be a pretty place in that happenstance.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

Mike Honcho (01-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    While the first five in the team's rotation is strong with Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos, Homer Bailey, Tony Cingrani and Mike Leake, there's no depth should anyone get injured (unless Bronson Arroyo, another free-agent, returns).
    The rotation isn't really that good because they don't have a sixth and seventh starter. Tough crowd. Dude must have a nice sow's ear collection.

Turn Off Ads?