Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SI predicts Reds will finish 4th in the division

Re: SI predicts Reds will finish 4th in the division

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The rotation isn't really that good because they don't have a sixth and seventh starter. Tough crowd. Dude must have a nice sow's ear collection.
    Do you not expect a 6th or 7th starter will be used this year? I also believe depth is a huge virtue for a staff to have.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Do you not expect a 6th or 7th starter will be used this year? I also believe depth is a huge virtue for a staff to have.
    Sure, depth is great. It'd be great if Peyton Manning's backup was Tom Brady. But how many teams are six, seven deep in their rotation? The Reds have Wang and Holmberg - a retread and MOR prospect. That strikes me as decent enough. Red's have question marks from their starting eight, but the rotation is not a problem.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

4. Likes:

marcshoe (01-24-2014), OGB (01-24-2014), texasdave (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Sure, depth is great. It'd be great if Peyton Manning's backup was Tom Brady. But how many teams are six, seven deep in their rotation? The Reds have Wang and Holmberg - a retread and MOR prospect. That strikes me decent enough. Red's have question marks from their starting eight, but the rotation is not a problem.
    Well considering Cueto and Cingranis past health I am more cautious

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He also predicts this - The Padres will return to the postseason for the first time since 2006.
    well, since San Diego shifted to the NL East... they have a shot!
    Suck it up cupcake.

How many games are the Reds going to need a 6th or 7th starter? Last season the Reds had to deal with quite a few injuries yet needed a 6th, 7th, and 8th starter 24 times. In those 24 games the Reds went 8-8 (I was too lazy to go back and look at what the outcomes were for the other games.)

Lets assume the Reds need an extra starter for 15 games next season, can they go .500 in those games? Can they win 40% of the games? Is worrying about the 7th man up really an issue? If the Reds lose a starter for an extended period and then lose another they they are in major trouble. If they have an average season, and Cingrani improves, this rotation could be very, very good.

The Reds don't have SP depth. LOL.

If they get to June, they can bring up their best pitching prospect in my lifetime. They have guys in AAA that can be servicable #5 types. Downgrade from our general #5? Yes. Of course the Reds don't have a normal #5 either.

9. Likes:

757690 (01-24-2014), Edd Roush (01-25-2014), LoganBuck (01-24-2014), marcshoe (01-24-2014), Old school 1983 (01-24-2014), pahster (01-24-2014), PepperJack (01-24-2014), RedlegJake (01-24-2014), RedsfaninMT (01-24-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (01-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How many games are the Reds going to need a 6th or 7th starter? Last season the Reds had to deal with quite a few injuries yet needed a 6th, 7th, and 8th starter 24 times. In those 24 games the Reds went 8-8 (I was too lazy to go back and look at what the outcomes were for the other games.)

Lets assume the Reds need an extra starter for 15 games next season, can they go .500 in those games? Can they win 40% of the games? Is worrying about the 7th man up really an issue? If the Reds lose a starter for an extended period and then lose another they they are in major trouble. If they have an average season, and Cingrani improves, this rotation could be very, very good.
    18 of those starts are now a starter now. Of the other 6 they were 2-4. Now where do we get the next man up?

I think 15 games is being very optimistic. We have 32 starts and 200+ inning to replace in the starting rotation. Losing Arroyo is going to hurt more than people want to admit. He was a lock for 32 starts and 200+ innings. Where do we get that from?

18 of those starts are now a starter now. Of the other 6 they were 2-4. Now where do we get the next man up?

I think 15 games is being very optimistic. We have 32 starts and 200+ inning to replace in the starting rotation. Losing Arroyo is going to hurt more than people want to admit. He was a lock for 32 starts and 200+ innings. Where do we get that from?
    Of those 5 guys the guy with the lowest ERA+ is Mike Leake at 113. Cingrani may be a wild card but he also could be the best of the bunch.

If you want to worry about the starting pitching depth go for it. It just isn't one of my bigger concerns right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Of those 5 guys the guy with the lowest ERA+ is Mike Leake at 113. Cingrani may be a wild card but he also could be the best of the bunch.

If you want to worry about the starting pitching depth go for it. It just isn't one of my bigger concerns right now.
    That's because we haven't had an injury and Cingrani isn't close to 200 innings

Why are people worried? With the way Bud works 4th place will be a prime wild card slot soon.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

14. Likes:

texasdave (01-24-2014)

Cingrani doesn't have to be. He is the fifth starter. Manage his innings some in April, around the Allstar break and in August/September. I am not worried about that. Starting pitching for 2014 and 2015 is not the problem.

The offense is why the Reds will not finish in 1st.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Cingrani doesn't have to be. He is the fifth starter. Manage his innings some in April, around the Allstar break and in August/September. I am not worried about that. Starting pitching for 2014 and 2015 is not the problem.

The offense is why the Reds will not finish in 1st.
    the pitching is better than the offence, but with arroyo gone (at the moment) we miss 200 "secure" innings

with cueto and cingrani we rely now on two guys who missed lots of time the past season... and we donīt have cingrani as backup anymore (I donīt know if stephenson is ready yet)

if those guys canīt stay healthy the rotation has problems aswell

Cingrani would have pitched last year if he needed to, right? They said that didn't they? The entire time he was actually injured, right? Am I making this up?

I feel like you're trying to make your case around the idea that every inning Cingrani falls short of Bronson's 202 gets handed to a sixth starter. If Cingrani throws 175 innings, almost all of those innings are going to a middle relief core that can certainly stand to bear a little extra load. The only danger we face is of the completely unpredictable variety; Cueto going down, Latos blowing out an elbow, etc. Not much you can do about that.

Losing Arroyo is going to hurt more than people want to admit. He was a lock for 32 starts and 200+ innings. Where do we get that from?

If your trying to make a case for Arroyo, fair enough. But there aren't a lot of organizations that are going to put big $ money on an aging league-averagish starter when they're already five-deep.

Would you re-sign Arroyo and put Cingrani in the pen (also pretty deep)? Trade Cueto?

Remember also that Stephenson's brewing, Holmberg's a big-leaguer and there's also the wish-come-true of many a Redszoner: Chapman.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Turn Off Ads?