Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Aces?

3 Aces?

I know its hard to be excited about our offense at this point of the offseason but our SP has to excite you at least a little. Here's an ESPN article (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...g-way-2014-mlb) listing Latos and Bailey as guys that could break out in a big way this year. Considering that both of them have been at least solid #2's up to this point, if they make the jump that would give us two aces. Then if Cueto is back to 100% he slots in as potentially our third ace. If Cingrani and Leake can be better then league average we could easily have one of the best rotations in all of baseball.

2. Likes:

HokieRed (01-26-2014),lollipopcurve (01-25-2014),marcshoe (01-25-2014),mbgrayson (01-26-2014),mdccclxix (01-25-2014),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-27-2014),redsmetz (01-25-2014),WildcatFan (01-25-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 Aces?

That is, until someone gets hurt.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Killjoy. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

6. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-27-2014),RiverRat13 (01-25-2014),SirFelixCat (01-26-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Then David Holmberg comes up and shows why he has one of the best changeups in the minors...easy peasy. Keeping this an optimistic thread....laws knows we need one. And Stephenson comes up later and improves on Cingrani's debut performances. Leaving SHarky to be a new leCure for the pen.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

8. Likes:

Donder (01-25-2014)

I'm very excited to watch this team pitch and catch the baseball, especially if Cueto can make it back (no pun intended).

They've got two, maybe three established top of the rotation guys about to hit their respective primes, and Leake could be the next Arroyo.

A healthy pitching staff gives them a shot every night.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-25-2014)

Cueto is a big question mark, but overall the rotation looks great. Latos is poised to have a big year.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

It is going to be extremely hard to score runs against this team. Find me a #4 and #5 in the league better than Leake and Cingrani. Typically I look at pitching matchups and determine the chances based on who the Reds have on the mound for a series. This year (and last year when everyone was healthy, which was rare), I ain't worried. Bring on any rotation you've got.

The depth can't be understated, either. Holmberg has already been mentioned, and Francis and Wang bring veteran presence to AAA. It's a fun time for us fans of pitching duels to be watching this team.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

13. Likes:

Crumbley (01-26-2014),smixsell (01-27-2014)

We've had good pitching for a while,this is not about optimism,it's about objectivity.

I have enjoyed the pitch and catch,but I don't have blinders on.But yes,the pitching is a very bright spot....
    May the Lord bless

Also, if Marshall and Broxton are healthy you are looking at a back end of a bullpen featuring: Chapman, Marshall, Broxton and Hoover.

16. Likes:

smixsell (01-27-2014)

I'm getting visions of 1990. Score just enough and win with a dominate rotation and bullpen.

18. Likes:

smixsell (01-27-2014)

I was going to post this in a other thread but it fits good here

With all the negativity surrounding this off season I am going in the opposite direction. This might be the most excited I have ever been for a season.

We have 3 legitimate ace starters, as stated by the OP.... Then we have Leake who is not to shabby and if he continues to grow as a pitcher then he could be easily a number 2.....then we have Cingrani who might be great and might fail now that MLB has a book on him, UT he is number 5 regardless of which direction he takes.... If he takes the step backwards direction then it's not like we don't have options to help replace him if needed. We have some good young pitching in the minors who might turn out to be pretty darn good.

Move to our bullpen.... I love the look of the pen with Chapman playing a larger role as closer.... I think that alone will gain us a few extra close games... Not to mention the fact we have some good studs in the pen who have gotten better as they age. I don't think we are best in the league but with our starting pitching, at least our pen is not going to be expected to carry this team and I see no way our pen gets tired or overused with the staff we have..... Not to mention having BP controlling how the pitching staff is utilized versus years past is worth it's weight in gold.... Our coach knows how to manage a pen and with this entire pitching staff, that knowledge from the coach is huge.

Move to the defense..... This might be the best defense we have seen in a long time.... Votto did not play well at first last year and I think we all can agree that Joey will not let that happen again. The other BP on this team is still in his prime as far as defense is concerned so I see no drop there from last year. Gold glove quality at both 1st and 2nd...i like it. You know Cozart will bring above average if not gold glove caliber defense at St, unfortunately he will never win the gg because he is not flashy enough but Zach is top notch at short, best I have seen there since Barry. Todd Frazier has also gotten better at 3rd almost every time he steps out there.... If he continues to grow at 3rd we could be looking at every infield spot fighting for a gold glove... I know that is far fetched but it's not out of the question. We already know what right field will give us defensively and I think we all can agree that Billy will look like willy compared to what choo gave us out there..... If luddy just plays left like he did 2 years ago then I would be happy with that and if he does, I can't think of a better defense we have had since 1990 and I'm not sure they could hang with what we will trot out there day to day.

Offensively we will probably be worse than last year..... But if a few people grow and get better that will at least help offset what we lose from choo...... It's not the ideal situation but it's the hand we are dealt and I see this team setting records on the defense side of the game. Teams are going to have to be on top of their game to score against this team and it all starts with those 3 ace starters we have..... Anyone not excited about 2014 is crazy.

Sorry for the long post but I am ecstatic about the possibilities of how far this team can go. I would have loved to add some offense but it is what it is..... Even the best offensive teams will have trouble putting up numbers against this team..... I think we see lots of teams slumping when they play us.

20. Likes:

Gapper (01-27-2014),powersackers (01-26-2014),Red in Atl (01-27-2014),smixsell (01-27-2014)

Mark Sheldon ‏@m_sheldon 5h
    Price when asked, declined to name an Opening Day starter #reds
    Thought this was relevant to this thread.

If Latos is healthy by Opening Day, it's gotta be him.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Thought this was relevant to this thread.

If Latos is healthy by Opening Day, it's gotta be him.
    I agree... but if bailey is looking for love from the fans and organisation and a start on opening day would help...

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I know its hard to be excited about our offense at this point of the offseason but our SP has to excite you at least a little. Here's an ESPN article (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...g-way-2014-mlb) listing Latos and Bailey as guys that could break out in a big way this year. Considering that both of them have been at least solid #2's up to this point, if they make the jump that would give us two aces. Then if Cueto is back to 100% he slots in as potentially our third ace. If Cingrani and Leake can be better then league average we could easily have one of the best rotations in all of baseball.
    I disagree with your interpretation of 'Ace'. Most analysts (that I follow and/or respect to be fair) say there are no more than 10-12 aces in all of baseball. Followed by that are what would be called a number 1 and then the number 2s you referred to. Most teams don't have even one 'ace'. Just because a guy is number one at the top of the rotation doesn't make him an ace. Most every team has just a number one (at best) leading the group.

When an ace pitches you should have no doubt the team will win. Think Kershaw or Verlander. Latos can definitely be that guy but Cueto will always have the injury question, regardless of his health at the moment, and Bailey is more of the number 1 variety at best. Not to mention half the time he is wore out from fighting crime at night
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

24. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-27-2014),RadfordVA (01-27-2014),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (01-27-2014)

I feel like Bailey will get the opening day start (at least I hope he will). I like Bailey.

Also all this team needs to do is get to the playoffs and they will be a force. Pitchers have the sole highest impact on any game, and having the best rotation, or one of the best rotations, in the league will go a long way to a World Series appearance. Not to mention one of the better bullpens if everyone is healthy and pitching.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Turn Off Ads?