Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pirates local media deal in the top half of the game?

pirates local media deal in the top half of the game?

Understated at $18M per year? Maybe so, but the Reds should be bigger

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: pirates local media deal in the top half of the game?

I imagine the size of your TV deal has as much to do as when it was signed as how big the market is.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

From MLBtraderumors.

In his latest column over at FOXSports.com, Ken Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks' pursuit of top free agents Masahiro Tanaka, Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Beltran stemmed from the fact they'll soon be completing a new television deal with FOX Sports that will be worth at least $90MM per season for a span of 15 to 20 years (beginning in 2016). He notes that while comparing TV deals is difficult because of differing equity stakes negotiated by each team, but the contract should still top the Rangers' recent TV deal, which pays them $80MM per season.
    And concerning the Reds....

The team’s deal with Fox Sports Ohio doesn’t expire until after the 2016 season, but that’s not as far off as it sounds. In fact, baseball analysis website Fangraphs.com says that only four teams in Major League Baseball have deals set to run out sooner than that. In fact, Fangraphs lists the Reds among six teams in a “Soon-to-Expire” category.

While the Reds deal is for a reported $30 million a year, sports media experts have said that could rise as high as $75 million with the next deal.
    And many speculate that it could be even higher than that for the Reds. That's per YEAR. I don't think we're as strapped for cash as many believe.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 01-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And many speculate that it could be even higher than that for the Reds. That's per YEAR. I don't think we're as strapped for cash as many believe.
    If the Reds want those kinds of numbers, they'll have to be prepared to take the rights / games in-house to a team-owned cable channel.

Right now, FSN Ohio is bidding against itself -- and that's usually a recipe for a low-ball deal.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    From MLBtraderumors.

And concerning the Reds....

2017, when the new deal gets going, they may not be. Check your calendar.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

So is this actually good news, or does it just mean that eventually the bigger markets will get even more money than that?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So is this actually good news, or does it just mean that eventually the bigger markets will get even more money than that?
    Most of the bigger markets already have long term deals.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Most of the bigger markets already have long term deals.

Ah, so this is indeed good news then. Or at least it would seem to be.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    2017, when the new deal gets going, they may not be. Check your calendar.
    I know. But technically, they could sign guys now or next season and backload the contract and when they needed the money for the hefty raise coming due...it would be there.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

If I'm the Reds I'm signing a new deal ASAP. I think the TV deal bubble is about to pop.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    If I'm the Reds I'm signing a new deal ASAP. I think the TV deal bubble is about to pop.
    Yeah, it seems to me cable can only hold out for so long with streaming internet taking over so many households. I suppose each of the local deals will soon have their own streaming apps for Roku and AppleTV though, so maybe that won't make a difference.

Haunted by walks

Sign early and avoid arbitration.

14. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-29-2014)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

MLB is never gonna lift its blackout rule, is it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Sorry, your wrong on this due to live sports is one of the last secure advertising venues there are. Time shifting via DVR's have destroyed traditional TV advertising and sports are one of the last safe bets on TV that people sit through commercials. I actually think time is on the Reds side as more people adopt time shifting technology and it becomes even more a part of your life.

I have not watched a TV drama show live with commercials for over 5 years, why would you do it? When I can record it watch it an hour later and fast forward through the commercials. Sports are different.
    Last edited by bellhead; 01-29-2014 at 03:52 PM.

I think the money is right the venue may be wrong. The future is streaming. I already dropped cable and use Netflix and Amazon instead, as well MLB through Blu-Rays and a Roku device. It's much cheaper than cable. Of course, most broadband is offered by cable companies/telecomm conglomerates and the knockdown of net neutrality will have an impact. The future of TV is shifting pretty quickly right now. Adding their own streaming lineups will help but a metamorphosis is coming in the shape if not in who controls it all.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Turn Off Ads?