Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cueto or Homer or Latos

Re: Cueto or Homer or Latos

1) Latos
    2) Bailey
    3) Cueto

I should probably mention that of these three pitchers, Cueto is my favorite, so this list was a tad difficult to put together from a purely objective standpoint.

I have the feeling that Latos is on the precipice of a watershed moment, a breakout season that establishes him as one of the best in the game and the undisputed anchor of an incredibly talented rotation. Bailey has all of the tools to do something similar, and I do believe that Cueto can return to form, though his climb may be slow at the start.

With all of that said, I do not get some of the previous posts that claim that Bailey has no interest in signing a long-term deal with Cincinnati. I wouldn't say his return is imminent, and I also wouldn't put it past him to test the market (who here wouldn't want to explore their options when various teams are offering tens of millions of dollars for your services?), but I don't think any of this means that he does not want to play for Cincinnati any longer than he needs to. That is, unless someone knows something that I don't...

2. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-07-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

1) Latos
    2) Bailey
    3) Cueto

I would love to have them all, but it aint a perfect world. I really aint concerned about Cueto's injuries as much as I am about his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    1) Latos
    2) Bailey
    3) Cueto

I would love to have them all, but it aint a perfect world. I really aint concerned about Cueto's injuries as much as I am about his weight.
    Just curious as to why Cuetos weight concerns you so much? I've heard that knock on Cuero many times, but I don't understand why its such a concern.

1) Latos: He's a guy we went out and traded for so the team is high on him and he has lived up to expectations.

2) Bailey: I would hate to lose him just as he's coming into his own. His stuff is starting to get filthy and I love how his arm gets stronger as the game moves forward.

3) When he's healthy he's probably better then the others but the past 2 seasons haven't been kind to Cueto so he would be my odd man out in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    Just curious as to why Cuetos weight concerns you so much? I've heard that knock on Cuero many times, but I don't understand why its such a concern.
    The best athletes seem to take care of themselves physically. They workout in the off season......Cueto seems to enjoy his time away from baseball. Nothing wrong with that, but his being "out of shape" concerns me as to how long he will last as a productive pitcher.

Latos has been slimming down, and does seem to take pretty care of his body. I know Bailey works out and takes supplements because I waited on him at a store once and helped him pick some stuff out. I once talked to the lady in Dayton that was Cueto's 'house mom,' and she said he was a real good kid but fond of junk food. That could mean nothing, as some guys can eat whatever they want and stay in shape.

Now some times things do hold true, as I also waited on Willy Mo Pena once and he didn't want to take anything...except potassium because he got cramps really bad. Willy Mo was like a little kid, and his interpreter had a handful with him.

For me Latos is the one you lock up as long as you can. He's maturing and learning to pitch in GABP.

Cueto would be #2 on this because he is already where we need Latos to go towards, just needs to work on staying healthy. He has learned to pitch to contact!

I'd love to keep Homer but I think he would be the toughest to keep in a Reds uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I once talked to the lady in Dayton that was Cueto's 'house mom,' and she said he was a real good kid but fond of junk food. That could mean nothing, as some guys can eat whatever they want and stay in shape.
    That is very true. But more often than not it catches up to you as you get older.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-07-2014)

Latos has earned his shot while Cueto has been down and out for the last 1.5 seasons. If he wants the #1 spot back, he's got to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Latos has earned his shot while Cueto has been down and out for the last 1.5 seasons. If he wants the #1 spot back, he's got to earn it.
    1 1/2 seasons? He was healthy the whole 2012 regular season. He didn't get hurt until the playoffs.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

In my opinion it would be
    1. Latos
    2. Cueto
    3. Bailey

Hopefully we'll not have to just choose one

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Gotta keep Latos if at all possible.
    Cueto is a much stronger possibility to keep than Bailey, but I would rather keep Bailey. I think Bailey is ready to try the open market.

I think Bailey is the best of the bunch, but man it's a tough call. I just say Bailey because he seems to be the most-durable at this point. Course, that could change in an instant. I'm worried about Latos' elbow even though everyone is saying it's extremely minor. But is there such a thing as a minor elbow injury for a pitcher?

Perhaps Cueto will be durable from this point forward. I like that his injury has been his midsection and not his arm. But hopefully that midsection injury doesn't bleed into Year 3 here. Then we'll know we have a serious problem.

As for Bailey, I think he has been taking REALLY good care of his body the last couple years. Like REALLY, REALLY taking good care of his body.

I kind of like the idea of trying to extend Cueto for 2 additional years. He hasn't had structural arm issues, but the other injury issues he has had may allow us to extend him "relatively" cheaply. It's somewhat of a gamble, but, with their financial constraints, maybe the Reds have to gamble a little. Besides, in my opinion a healthy Cueto is best pitcher of the 3 anyway. Furthermore, I don't think the Reds can/will pay what it would take to extend either Latos or Bailey. So maybe try to keep Cueto as the anchor for the next 4 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The best athletes seem to take care of themselves physically. They workout in the off season......Cueto seems to enjoy his time away from baseball. Nothing wrong with that, but his being "out of shape" concerns me as to how long he will last as a productive pitcher.
    I could be wrong but I thought I remembered after the 09 or 10 season Cueto started taking his conditioning very seriously and has since been known for being in very good shape.

Turn Off Ads?