Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phillips declining?

Re: Phillips declining?

He wasn't just declining after his injury. He has been in decline the past few years offensively. His defense is still top notch however.

2. Likes:

Krawhitham (02-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    He wasn't just declining after his injury. He has been in decline the past few years offensively. His defense is still top notch however.
    BP's stats were fairly linear from 06-10 before setting several career numbers in 11 accompanied by a higher babip. He then trended back to 06-10 numbers in 12. 6 of the last 8 years his BA, OBP, SLG and OPS have been pretty similar and unless the injury continues to haunt him it is reasonable to believe he could replicate those numbers. 2013 was his only true decline year, not the past few years, and an argument for injury can be made.

True, but the argument for his age is just as, if not more, likely.

However, he might be the best 2nd basemen in the division again with M Carpenter moving to 3rd base.

I believe that Phillips has a couple more very solid years left in his body.
    Here's hoping and praying for an injury free 2014

I would say he is declining. However, it is not as scary of a decline as the 2nd half of last year would make it look. He had the type of injury that makes it possible to play but hard to produce. He was only 85-90% for much of last season.

Phillips at 100% is still an above average 2B.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    Is he declining? Yes. He's going to turn 33 in July and players aren't ascending in their 30s. But is he rapidly declining? I would say absolutely not. His skill set is the type that doesn't just go away overnight. So getting what he did in 2013 for the next couple of years will be just fine. That is still a top ten second baseman IMO.

I agree with this.

The most important thing about this statement is that even Brandon Phillips in a slow decline is better than any replacement we could conceivably get to replace him.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    The most important thing about this statement is that even Brandon Phillips in a slow decline is better than any replacement we could conceivably get to replace him.
    Exactly. I'll take Phillips over any other conceivable options that the Reds have right now. Plus, he's one of my favorite guys to watch, so I'd hate to see him get shipped off to another team.

BP is better than any other option I can imagine being able to acquire if he got dealt. I just hope he figures out in ST that he isn't much of a base stealer anymore.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    BP is better than any other option I can imagine being able to acquire if he got dealt. I just hope he figures out in ST that he isn't much of a base stealer anymore.
    I wouldn't mind seeing him take a shot in spring with Santana behind the plate but Gomes is much better defensively. Save his attempts for poor D catchers.

How could he be declining when he had his career high in RBI's

He was declining for two years before he got his insulting contract

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He was declining for two years before he got his insulting contract
    He definitely has a foot-in-mouth disorder but no way was he declining before his contract.

16. Likes:

bullseye (02-28-2014)

Base running is heading south in a hurry.

Just based on the eye test, he looks so much slower than just a few years ago.

I do think the wrist contributed to his poor hitting down the stretch, but I also think he is declining and will be lucky to hit the .750 OPS mark again, though hopefully he can at least get .725+.

We will see how he rebounds this year.

Turn Off Ads?