Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds signed Chris Nelson to minor league deal.

Re: Reds close to signing Chris Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    A backup shortstop. He played there for years.
    Most capable shortstops tend to play shortstop. Not just years ago and in AA.

Whatever i wish him luck.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I get it.

Reds need a backup shortstop but Nelson really isn't a shortstop.

Reds need offense for the bench but Nelson hasn't hit well in a few years.

Makes perfect sense, LOL.

Sorry, Red Van Hot already made these points, I now see. Good post RVH.
    So you're saying he's more like a half Nelson?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-27-2014),cincyinco (02-08-2014),Kc61 (01-27-2014),reds1869 (01-27-2014),Revering4Blue (01-28-2014),Tom Servo (01-27-2014),WildcatFan (01-27-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-27-2014)

This is not official yet, right?

Watch this be another Grady Sizemore situation and he ends up signing with the Red Sox. Reds fans on twitter would explode.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    So you're saying he's more like a half Nelson?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-27-2014),RedTeamGo! (01-27-2014),Revering4Blue (01-28-2014)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Chris Nelson

By Steve Adams [January 27 at 2:25pm CST]

The Reds have agreed to a minor league deal with infielder Chris Nelson, reports MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reported earlier today that Cincinnati was closing in on a deal with the Williams & Connolly client. Nelson told Sheldon's colleague, Thomas Harding, that he is excited about the opportunity:

"I think it’s a great opportunity, especially being in the National League. I have a chance to be a utility man, and with the double-switches there could be a chance for playing time. It could be a good fit for me."

As Sheldon writes, there will be a familiar face in camp for Nelson, as second baseman Brandon Phillips is at times one of his offseason workout partners. The 28-year-old Nelson slashed .301/.352/.458 in 377 plate appearances with the Rockies in 2012, but that line was propped up by a .374 batting average on balls in play that was predictably not sustainable. Regression in his BABIP and a 29 percent strikeout rate in 2013 saw the 2004 No. 9 overall draft pick's production fall to .227/.273/.327. Though he can handle both second and third base, he's not considered a plus defender at either position.

Nelson will look to catch on as a reserve for both Phillips and third baseman Todd Frazier, though the Reds have reserve options at each position in the form of Skip Schumaker and Jack Hannahan, each of whom is on a guaranteed contract for the 2014season.

Better than Izturis. Welcome aboard.

Re: Reds signed Chris Nelson to minor league deal.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2014/...-chris-nelson/

Reds sign Chris Nelson

The Reds have a Minor League deal with infielder Chris Nelson that comes with an invite to big league camp. The deal was agreed to on Sunday.

“I think it’s a great opportunity, especially being in the National League,” Nelson told my MLB.com colleague, Thomas Harding. “I have a chance to be a utility man, and with the double-switches there could be a chance for playing time. It could be a good fit for me.”

Nelson sometimes works out in the off-season with Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips. Both attended Redan High School in Stone Mountain, Ga.

“It’s exciting having the chance to play with Brandon,” Nelson said. “I always enjoyed watching him on TV, and getting with him during the winter every now and then.”

The Reds confirmed the signing. Nelson will be part of a mix of guys seeking backup infield spots. Already on the club is Skip Schumaker and Jack Hannahan. Henry Rodriguez will also be in camp.

Nelson, 28, is a .268/.312/.399 hitter in 255 career big league games over four seasons. He was the ninth overall Draft pick in 2004 by the Rockies. Last season, he played for Colorado, the Yankees and Angels and batted .227 in 64 games.

Most of Nelson’s experience is at third base (177 games) and second base(56 games) but he has played a little bit at shortstop (three games).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Minor league depth. I don't see anything wrong with this. Not a MLB signing.

Has this board become so miserable that it has to complain routinely about minor league deals?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

13. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-28-2014),marcshoe (01-27-2014),redsmetz (01-27-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh man, he's asking for it from BP.
    He's an ass if he does.

Meh. More fodder for the Bats numbers-bloated talent-thin infield. Nothing against it as long as he's to be stashed in L'Ville, but if they expect him to be on the 25-man, I can't see what he brings that HRod doesn't. In fact, Rodriguez probably has a higher offensive upside and is marginally better when it comes to backing up SS.

good move. go reds

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Has this board become so miserable that it has to complain routinely about minor league deals?
    Amazing isn't it?

Thousands of players in the game and they all pretty much are the suck before they step on the field

18. Likes:

Big Klu (01-27-2014),bigredmechanism (01-28-2014),Edd Roush (01-27-2014),HokieRed (01-27-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-27-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

There are days when I think I'm TOO positive. But then it hits me that...no, I'm not. It just seems that way in comparison to the norm around here. There are days it's just depressing as hell to visit here. I just don't get it (and probably never will).

IMO, any day you get to watch baseball is a good day. Even BAD baseball.

20. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-28-2014)

Hannahan OPSed 605 last year. Its good to have some competition for the bench even if its Chris Nelson ( who OPSed 600 last year ).

Walt has figured something out. Its a minor league deal instead of a 2 year
    $4M deal.

Turn Off Ads?