Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds signed Chris Nelson to minor league deal.

Re: Reds close to signing Chris Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Nelson did play short primarily through AA and a few games in AAA the last few years, including 40 in 2011 and 52 in 2010. Walt may think he's a capable backup SS.
    Did he get moved off shortstop because he couldn't handle it or because the Rockies didn't have a need there and wanted to see what he could do?

The numbers look great and then you look at the away split and go....move along. Nothing to see here folks.
    Last edited by dfs; 01-27-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds signed Chris Nelson to minor league deal.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Minor league depth. I don't see anything wrong with this. Not a MLB signing.
    When is there going to be a MAJOR league signing? The Reds play in the Majors, unlike nearly all of the winter signees.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    When is there going to be a MAJOR league signing? The Reds play in the Majors, unlike nearly all of the winter signees.
    Considering their budget constraints, who do you want them to sign?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-28-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (01-27-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I, personally, don't see many interesting FA options out there. At least none that improve the club.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    You mean a FA signing?

You follow the Reds right, they don't exactly sign many FA's not have in the history of the FA market.

But maybe we'll get lucky and they will sign an Eric Milton, or Ryan Madison or maybe a Joe Randa or a John Vander Wal

8. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-28-2014)

Hey, Joe Randa was pretty good for the Reds. I remember that opening series against the Mets where he hit the walkoff on Opening Day and 2 days later hit a grand slam to dead center.

People here hated Joe Randa and Rich Aurilia for no reason. I still don't understand the hate they received.

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-27-2014),cincyinco (02-08-2014),dabvu2498 (01-28-2014),HokieRed (01-27-2014),lollipopcurve (01-27-2014),Old school 1983 (01-28-2014),RedTeamGo! (01-28-2014),Revering4Blue (01-28-2014),texasdave (01-28-2014)

he is another superstar c.n.

like Chet Nichols
    and Chris Nichting

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    People here hated Joe Randa and Rich Aurilia for no reason. I still don't understand the hate they received.
    Randa had his best PA's of his career as a Red (330 or so, small sample) Aurilia had some as well, he however was a statue at SS and that's where he hurt the team. Fact was those teams could hit, with or without them. Pitching was the problem then.

I believe the Reds can find offense easier than pitching, most Reds fans love offense more than anything in baseball, except superstars that make no money... they love them to death.

14. Likes:

LoganBuck (01-27-2014),redsmetz (01-27-2014),traderumor (01-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    most Reds fans love ...superstars that make no money... they love them to death.
    Don't forget players with "grit" and "hustle". Not necessarily any talent but love 'em some grit and hustle.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Don't forget players with "grit" and "hustle". Not necessarily any talent but love 'em some grit and hustle.
    They love them more than anything else, hands down.

Nice move, I wish he could back up SS but there is no downside to this that I see.

I recall like it was yesterday M2 pining for some Chris Nelson in the draft. I don't recall anyone short of Tim Lincecum getting pimped more for being drafted by the Reds on good ole RZ.

We got Homer, a HS pitcher, when drafting HS pitchers wasn't cool at all. Funny how things work out.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Who?

wow pena schumaker and nelson what a haul, amazing, reminds me of signing cecil espy and gary varsho, fantastic

Turn Off Ads?