Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds signed Chris Nelson to minor league deal.

Re: Reds signed Chris Nelson to minor league deal.

This is some serious fun viewed a decade later. I even saw a mention of dial up internet.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43233
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-28-2014),cincyinco (02-08-2014),membengal (01-28-2014),traderumor (01-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    This is some serious fun viewed a decade later. I even saw a mention of dial up internet.

That discussion shows the crapshoot of the draft. Was Homer a good pick? On principal, it was debatable because of the HS pitcher risk, but then Nelson has not been a supahstah--not even close. Then there's Matt Bush.....
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

41 first round and compensation picks in 2004 - 13 accumulated at least 2 WAR in their careers to date, 16 either never reached or accumulated negative WAR (including Nelson), 12 had a cup of coffee or two. Bailey is 9th on the list with 6 WAR, Verlander heads it with 40.3 WAR to date. Jered Weaver and Gio Gonzalez are the two pitchers who've outperformed Homer to date that were picked after him. All in all 2004 was actually a pretty solid draft year for baseball. Most years the odds of first rounders making good aren't even that high. It is a crapshoot.

Was Bailey a good pick? I think YES. Of all the players drafted after him that have succeeded, I don't think I'd trade him straight up for any of them (J.Weaver, Neil Walker, Stephen Drew, Gio Gonzalez, Billy Butler, Glen Perkins, Phil Hughes). Not at this point anyway. Maybe Weaver or Gonzalez a couple years ago, but not now. I like Homer going forward better than anyone from that draft except Verlander.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 01-27-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I doubt I posted on the thread, but I seem to remember coveting Jeff Niemann, as did others. Hey, he's a free agent and could be had cheaply. Of course he didn't play last season after having shoulder surgery, but nobody's perfect!

Seriously, I always liked Niemann and was sorry to see what happened to him. I thought he'd be a good one.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-28-2014)

Awesome, thanks.

BJ Sysmanski. Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. What happened to him? Could he just not hit?

I love how redszone (me too) was extremely excited about the Sysmanski pick and almost everybody freaked out and hated the Homer Bailey pick. This 2004 draft thread shows how much of a crapshoot the draft is and shows how very little we know about amateur players.

I wasn't around when that draft happened, but based on other stuff that happened later, I've always been intrigued by Nelson and thought he could upgrade the Reds. Now, enough time has passed and failure has happened that he's just another dumpster dive. Teams need to try a few of those every year because sometimes they work.

The Reds problem is that it seems to be the only course of action they have this year. A few more known quality position players need to be added to the mix.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Oh my. Hahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Hard to get excited about the move but you'd only slit your wrists about it if boredom is your mortal enemy.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Chris Nelson

By Steve Adams [January 28 at 7:58am CST]

TUESDAY: Nelson's deal allows him to opt out on March 28 if he has not been awarded a roster spot by that time, according to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish (on Twitter).

First Kershaw and now Nelson- the opt out clause is all the rage.

15. Likes:

mth123 (01-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Sign Chris Nelson

By Steve Adams [January 28 at 7:58am CST]

TUESDAY: Nelson's deal allows him to opt out on March 28 if he has not been awarded a roster spot by that time, according to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish (on Twitter).
    Interesting clause, because with Hannahan and Sizemore most likely making it on the roster, how big are Nelson's chances anyway?

Nelson is great , he and Branyon Pena will bring back the days when the bench included people like Wade Rowdon and Kelly Paris

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Interesting clause, because with Hannahan and Sizemore most likely making it on the roster, how big are Nelson's chances anyway?
    Sizemore?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sizemore?
    hah! that's why I get for trying to post while on the phone. Meant Schumaker

Turn Off Ads?