49. Billy Hamilton, CF, Cincinnati Reds
    Scouting Report (most recent) link
    2013 Ranking: 14

63. Phillip Ervin, OF, Cincinnati Reds
    Scouting Report (most recent): Coming Soon
    2013 Ranking: N/A

Also, from the chat with Jason Parks.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...hp?chatId=1123

tonynelson19 (MN): I'm surprised to see Phillip Ervin ranked almost 30 spots higher than Austin Meadows considering their relatively similar profiles. I always thought Meadows would rate higher, with louder tools and more projection. Any insight into what caused the separation?

Jason Parks on the Top 101 Prospects: I like Ervin more; better chance to stay up the middle; plus runner with plus arm; better bat speed. Just needs to stay healthy.

ZiggyPlayedGuitar (Oakland, CA): ROY candidates?

Jason Parks on the Top 101 Prospects: Yordano Ventura in the AL; Wong or Hamilton in the NL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP's 101 MLB Prospects 2014

I understand they're all close at the top, but how is it even possible that 21 minor league players project better than Stephenson? Lot of kids commanding triple digits and a couple plus offspeed pitches these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I understand they're all close at the top, but how is it even possible that 21 minor league players project better than Stephenson? Lot of kids commanding triple digits and a couple plus offspeed pitches these days?
    A lot of them are at higher levels, and as for the pitchers ranked ahead of him, I'd take maybe 2 of them over him (and then it's a toss up), rather than 10 they have ranked ahead.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It is all awfully confusing with the ranking of Stephenson. Both MLB.com and BP ranked him lower than their tools rankings suggest he should be. When comparing his tools rankings to pitchers ahead of him, it just doesn't add up that he should be behind them. If he had control issues, or an arm problem (like say Dylan Bundy), ok, I get it. But he doesn't and hasn't. It is weird to say that a guy ranked 18-21st out of 5000 baseball players is underrated, but dude is underrated.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-28-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (01-30-2014)

I expect we'll see Winker vaulting onto these lists by mid-season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (01-29-2014),Old school 1983 (01-28-2014),REDREAD (01-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is all awfully confusing with the ranking of Stephenson. Both MLB.com and BP ranked him lower than their tools rankings suggest he should be. When comparing his tools rankings to pitchers ahead of him, it just doesn't add up that he should be behind them. If he had control issues, or an arm problem (like say Dylan Bundy), ok, I get it. But he doesn't and hasn't. It is weird to say that a guy ranked 18-21st out of 5000 baseball players is underrated, but dude is underrated.
    Probably more to do with age, and being in A ball. Bundy and Giolito, should not be ahead of Stephenson. The top of the list seems pretty good. I wouldn't get too upset.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Is there any benefit for him to be ranked lower, such as perhaps expectations not running as wild? Some say Jay Bruce is a good player whom some criticize simply because he's not the MVP and super-duper star (technical term ) some thought he might be because of his minor league hype. Could less hype help Stephenson any way?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I expect we'll see Winker vaulting onto these lists by mid-season.
    Yes, I'm surprised to see Ervin ranked at least 40 spots higher than Winker. Better maybe, 40+ spots better seems pretty like a pretty large gap.

Also agree that Robert Stephenson should be a consensus top 20 prospect at this point.
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

HokieRed (01-30-2014)

Is it because he wasn't a big name out of the draft and hasnt logged enough innings to create necessary buzz? I wouldn't know how to draw up a better pitching prospect if I had to, yet there's apparently ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yes, I'm surprised to see Ervin ranked at least 40 spots higher than Winker. Better maybe, 40+ spots better seems pretty like a pretty large gap.
    That's all down to tools.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's all down to tools.
    That's what I'm thinking. And I'm not sure that's wrong. He's already on the wrong end of the defensive spectrum in his teens. There's no margin for error. His hit tool has gotta be dynamite.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Probably more to do with age, and being in A ball. Bundy and Giolito, should not be ahead of Stephenson. The top of the list seems pretty good. I wouldn't get too upset.
    I don't know dude, Giolito would likely have been the first pick had he not had the injury. He's pretty much universally loved by the prospect honks.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

BA's grades (80-20 scale):

Robert Stephenson
    Fastball: 70
    Curve: 70
    Change: 50
    Command: 50
    Delivery: 50

Archie Bradley
    Fastball: 70
    Curve: 60
    Change: 50
    Command: 45
    Delivery: 50

Heh.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Jason Parks tweeted out some Reds observations today.

https://twitter.com/ProfessorParks

The deeper I look at the #Reds farm system the more I start to like it. Stephenson is a real gem; plenty of good mid-roto arms; good depth

Yes. Medina has bat speed you can't teach. Pitch recog could be an issue, but legit pop; good reports on Jose Ortiz.

Yes. Both are high on the #Reds list. Don't sleep on Yorman Rodriguez. Loud tools; reached AA at early age.

Yes. It's a solid-avg profile. But I prefer Yorman's tools/ceiling. RT @DPalermo31: @ProfessorParks do you like jesse winker?
    Yorman reaching his ceiling.
    20%. His floor is a 4th/5th OF; could be an Alex Rios type if he hits the ceiling.

We managed to slide LHP Ismael Guillon on the #Reds Top 10 list despite command that can best be described as pure suck. Love the CH.

On #Reds RHP Nick Travieso: "The arsenal showed up flatter than expected in 2013, and unfortunately, the body showed up rounder."
    On Phillip Ervin

Despite the strong statistical debut, I think people are still sleeping on #Reds prospect Phil Ervin. 5-tool player; needs to stay healthy

If he can stay on the field, [Phil] Ervin is an easy plus runner, w/ a plus potential hit tool and 20+ HR power in the bat. First-division

The Reds see him as a CF and will make every effort to develop him there. Again, depends on his health. Very legit bat.

19. Likes:

lollipopcurve (02-02-2014),Old school 1983 (02-01-2014),OnBaseMachine (02-04-2014)

Philip Ervin is legit for sure. Really interested to see what Medina can develop into. The Reds actually have a few pretty good, young outfield prospects coming up right now which is pretty nice.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Turn Off Ads?