Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto on WLW now

Re: Votto on WLW now

I'm disappointed in the interview. It was Joey Votto not Votto Raisor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He will be on next week for an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Is there a Starbucks in the WLW lobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast-...otto-24287578/

https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister

Votto:I told Billy H he's the 1st batter to ever protect me. He gives me the get better pitches & P change their approach #Reds 700 WLW

Votto:Takes Spanish lesson once week. "I can see myself managing, in front office, union, 2 speak 2 languages carries clout" #Reds 700 WLW

Votto: I really don't care where I hit...more importantly, it doesn't matter where I want to hit. #Reds 700 WLW

Votto: What matters is that Bryan is my boss and Walt is his boss..they could hit me 9th or they could hit me 2nd, that's fine #Reds 700 WLW

Votto: Being a vocal leader isn't really part of my personality. If we have 5 leaders, and I'm part of that, that's fine. #Reds 700 WLW

Votto tells me individual stat he values most: wRC+ #Reds 700 WLW

Votto said he was looking at his http://baseball-reference.com page. Jokingly said..."If I'm going to be attacked, I want to be armed,"#Reds

Votto: "I just want to connect with fans and let them know a lot more about me" #Reds

Cool thing: Joey told me he wanted to talk about anything, everything, not just baseball. Joked, 'you ask & I reserve right to reject' #Reds

Podcast is worth a listen when you have the time.

6. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (02-05-2014)

Find me a hitter in the game that is better between the ears than Votto.

8. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (02-10-2014),Brisco (02-27-2014),CoachBombay (02-05-2014),lollipopcurve (02-05-2014),Tommyjohn25 (02-05-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

He says he doesn't care where he hits, but then says to bat him 2nd or 9th. Which one is it, Joey?

10. Likes:

Gapper (02-05-2014),Tom Servo (02-04-2014)

wRC+? Be still my beating heart.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (02-10-2014),BRM13 (02-05-2014),joshua (02-04-2014),kbrake (02-05-2014),mdccclxix (02-05-2014),pahster (02-05-2014),paintmered (02-05-2014),SirFelixCat (02-04-2014),vaticanplum (02-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I had the same reaction. I love that the stat takes the ballpark and the league into consideration.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And 99% of the audience just booed Joey Votto because they don't have a clue what it is and his answer should have been RBI.

15. Likes:

CoachBombay (02-05-2014)

Joey is great to listen to, love that he's reaching out to the fans.

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-05-2014),Tom Servo (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And 99% of the audience just booed Joey Votto because they don't have a clue what it is and his answer should have been RBI.
    I do find it interesting that Lance has only had callers/questions that more or less take the sabermetric position. Maybe that's his editorial choice. Maybe that's a bit of selection bias based on his audience given his obvious predilections. But I do very much wonder just what the landscape of fan opinion actually looks like.

I'm sure it leans old-school, but I have a suspicion that there's a much broader symmetrically-friendly (or at least open-minded) fan-base out there than the banana-phone callers and Enquirer.com posters might have you believe.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

TSJ55 (02-05-2014),wlf WV (02-05-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I do find it interesting that Lance has only had callers/questions that more or less take the sabermetric position. Maybe that's his editorial choice. Maybe that's a bit of selection bias based on his audience given his obvious predilections. But I do very much wonder just what the landscape of fan opinion actually looks like.

I'm sure it leans old-school, but I have a suspicion that there's a much broader symmetrically-friendly (or at least open-minded) fan-base out there than the banana-phone callers and Enquirer.com posters might have you believe.
    Things may have changed in the last year or two, but having talked with Lance in the past about it, people tend to tune out and move on when you start talking sabermetrics. Now, maybe it changes when it is a player being interviewed because you simply can't find them giving interviews elsewhere like you could find some other sports talk on the dial.

I do think that eventually the masses will pick up on it, simply because they will have to with where baseball is taking things. And I also think the younger generations are much more willing to work with it because they have grown up at least hearing the ideas rather than having them thrown at them in their older ages after following the sport for 30+ years.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Things may have changed in the last year or two, but having talked with Lance in the past about it, people tend to tune out and move on when you start talking sabermetrics. Now, maybe it changes when it is a player being interviewed because you simply can't find them giving interviews elsewhere like you could find some other sports talk on the dial.

I do think that eventually the masses will pick up on it, simply because they will have to with where baseball is taking things. And I also think the younger generations are much more willing to work with it because they have grown up at least hearing the ideas rather than having them thrown at them in their older ages after following the sport for 30+ years.
    That is true, because people who are interested in higher concepts aren't necessarily listening to WLW, they are listening to Effectively Wild, or Back of the Bullpen. I know several friends of mine tune me out when I start talking about any of that so I'd imagine the radio audience is the same. You've got to slowly integrate it like Welsh does.

22. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-05-2014)

He's smart -he's general manager smart. I think he'd make a great mana

There have been about 5 issues in the last 5 years or so that could have blown up and caused chaos (the biggest of which was the BP situation re contract). He handled that perfect and with grace.

While it is cool he knows about wRc+. I am fairly certain that if Brandon Phillips was among the league leaders in that and UZR instead of the traditional accolades like RBi and gold gloves he would be touting those stats as well. As Votto said players are going to look for things to arm themselves with. It would make no sense for a player to like a stat that they are weak in.

Players and people in general tend to like the stats that put them in the best light. With all that being said we are fortunate that Votto is best at wrc+ and it is his favorite

25. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-05-2014),jimbo (02-05-2014),Norm Chortleton (02-06-2014),TSJ55 (02-05-2014),wlf WV (02-05-2014)

Turn Off Ads?