Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Votto on WLW now

Re: Votto on WLW now

Votto taking the guy's car analogy and just going with it was just awesome. He totally flipped it on the guy and it worked perfectly to illustrate the difference between some fans expectations and what really matters. They want a high HP beast with a revving engine, squealing tires, and smoke. Votto wants to win the race, which means power and efficiency.

Also, this exchange was just amazing:
    Caller: I've been reading this offseason about people complaining about how selective you are up at the plate and was just wondering if you were going to change your approach or have you made any adjustments?

Votto: (pauses) (clears throat/stifles a laugh?) No, I don't think so. I won't change it very much. I didn't have a very good year with runners in scoring position. And so I think that was just the one part of my game that really left a lot to be desired. Sometimes that can be luck. And Sometimes that can be luck. And sometimes that can be luck.

(Joey and Lance both stifle a laugh)

I imagine that I'll probably see a difference this year if I get enough at bats.

Caller: Right. I today I seen a big difference in your swing, so... I seen a big difference in your approach at the plate. You weren't as selective as you were. It seemed like you were waiting for your pitch and when you found it you hit the ball and drove in a run. So.. looking good!

Votto: (Audibly face-palming) Well, I, uh, didn't feel much different. I didn't try to do anything differently. (Lance chuckles). So, I, uh, thanks for the compliment.
    That, right there, was the perfect microcosm of Marty/fan criticism of Votto. Votto points out not 10 seconds earlier that he hasn't changed anything, that he takes a consistent approach, but that sometimes the dice just don't roll your way. Fan describes the approach he's always taken, but asserts it must be new it must be new since it produced an RBI last night. Hilarious.

Good on Votto and Lance for just letting that one go.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-27-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

BRM13 (02-27-2014),HeatherC1212 (02-27-2014),KittyDuran (02-27-2014),membengal (02-27-2014),OnBaseMachine (02-27-2014),PepperJack (02-27-2014),Screwball (02-27-2014),SirFelixCat (02-27-2014),wheels (02-27-2014),Wonderful Monds (02-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I love that fancy Canadian more and more each day.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That, right there, was the perfect microcosm of Marty/fan criticism of Votto. Votto points out not 10 seconds earlier that he hasn't changed anything, that he takes a consistent approach, but that sometimes the dice just don't roll your way. Fan describes the approach he's always taken, but asserts it must be new it must be new since it produced an RBI last night. Hilarious.
    Yeah, people have been conditioned to believe that all Votto is doing up there is looking for a walk. Then they believe that people who believe that RBIs aren't all that and walks are cool pound their fists against the keyboard when he does get a hit and an RBI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm starting to believe Joey Votto is not real. At the very least, he's thrown the entire JockWorld I've spent three decades researching and working to understand totally off balance.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

9. Likes:

Crumbley (02-27-2014),HeatherC1212 (02-27-2014),KittyDuran (02-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I love that fancy Canadian more and more each day.
    I didn't find it funny that his preference was to be a sleek, fancy, European speedster rather than tough, loud, American muscle car. His aversion to flash is quite Canadian.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I am now prepared to argue that Joey Votto is the best thing in the history of ever.

12. Likes:

Gapper (02-27-2014),gilpdawg (02-28-2014),HeatherC1212 (02-27-2014),kbrake (02-27-2014),RedsManRick (02-27-2014),Screwball (02-27-2014),wheels (02-27-2014)

"sometimes it can be luck, or sometimes it can be luck, and sometimes it can be luck."

I guffawed loudly in front of a customer when I heard that. This guy freaking rules.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

14. Likes:

membengal (02-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm starting to believe Joey Votto is not real. At the very least, he's thrown the entire JockWorld I've spent three decades researching and working to understand totally off balance.
    good lord

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    good lord
    Explain.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Sometimes I think Cincinnati fans don't deserve Votto.

18. Likes:

gilpdawg (02-28-2014),HeatherC1212 (02-28-2014),membengal (02-27-2014),wheels (02-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I'd like to think that the majority of us have the good sense to not out ourselves as idiots with 50,000 watts behind it.

(Although I have been doing it on here for nearly 13 years, so there's that...)
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

20. Likes:

wheels (02-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Ken Dryden and Bill Bradley say Hi... oddly enough both penned great books

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Who does?

Joey Votto makes Jim Coombs look like Joey Gathright.

Turn Off Ads?